2nd Year of Division 1 Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Year of Division 1 Football

Practice starts on Sunday, Aug 7. Nearly all the returning players are in Brookings and have been raising the intensity levels for the start of fall camp. Anyone have any ideas on the depth charts this year or any other good info....

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Re: 2nd Year of Division 1 Football

The word is that anthony watson comes into fall camp the number 3 back on the depth chart with cory koenig and trever hohn being 1,2 respectively.

Comment

I find this very hard to believe, although it could be true for all I know, since he is a two year starter (heading into his Jr. season) who led the Great West Conference in rushing with 1,088 yds last year.  He was also picked Pre-Season All Great West Conference First Team and Pre-Season Great West Offensive Player of the Year by Chris Kelly on Monday. Forgive me if I am a little skeptical, after all this is your 1st post on the board.

My guess is your looking at the starting rb for the Jackrabbits.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Man, those are sharp uniforms! As a player during the era of the "banana pants", those blue pants are sharp. We pushed hard for those during my junior season, to no avail.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
          Man, those are sharp uniforms!  As a player during the era of the "banana pants", those blue pants are sharp.  We pushed hard for those during my junior season, to no avail.
          MJA, have you got one of your own? Not saying you want one but I have one on my office wall, looks good.

As for A. Wat, if he isn't the starting running back I'll eat that jersey. He has proven his ability to run behind this line and catch passes out of the backfield.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            Man, those are sharp uniforms!  As a player during the era of the "banana pants", those blue pants are sharp.  We pushed hard for those during my junior season, to no avail.
            My only wish would be for blue facemasks. I have always thought the single-color helmet-mask look is pretty menacing.

Comment

89-

I was unaware that # of posts had anything to do with knowledge of our football program. I guess when it comes time to hire new coaches Dr. Oien will know where to look.

IF... theman-21 is who I think he might be, he would be a lot more inside than anyone here on this board.

I seem to remember that in the Spring Game Watson took carries with the 2nd O and Trevor & Corey took carries with the 1st. Of course #1 going into fall is much different than #1 coming out of fall!

Comment

I think if Watson is currently the #3 back than it's purely to send a message to Anthony that nothing should be taken for granted. I suspect when the season starts and he is healthy Mr Watson will be the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                  89-

I was unaware that # of posts had anything to do with knowledge of our football program.  I guess when it comes time to hire new coaches Dr. Oien will know where to look.  

IF... theman-21 is who I think he might be, he would be a lot more inside than anyone here on this board.  

I seem to remember that in the Spring Game Watson took carries with the 2nd O and Trevor & Corey took carries with the 1st.  Of course #1 going into fall is much different than #1 coming out of fall!
                  Not sure how you confused what 89 typed with meaning number of posts equals access to knowledge but I'll let it slide and give you the benefit of the doubt.

89 is simply questioning the reliability of info provided by a new poster. There have been more than a few false posts over the last 2 years.

All that said, I'm glad to hear that Watson has some competition.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

MJA, have you got one of your own?  Not saying you want one but I have one on my office wall, looks good.

As for A. Wat, if he isn't the starting running back I'll eat that jersey.  He has proven his ability to run behind this line and catch passes out of the backfield.
                    I have both a replica of the new jerseys and my actual game worn home and aways from my playing days. Stig pulled some strings for my dad this fall and the jersey's were part of my christmas gift. Best gift I've received in a long time.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

theman_21 is correct, The key words "coming into camp" I dont believe he will be the #3 back at the end of camp.
                      It's great to have three backs that are this big of studs to compete for this spot-Watson will have to work for the start.

Comment

I'm not sure Koenig or Hohn have done anything in a game situation to justify any expectations they are the same calibre as Watson. I'm not convinced yet that running back is a deep position for the Jacks

Comment

Before we hang theman_21 out to dry, maybe we should give what he has to say some respect (to a point) and not just reject it. Is there truth to it ? who knows at this point, but maybe he knows something we don't. Time will tell.

We can't fairly compare game stats, as opportunities were not the same for all backs. BUT the two other running backs may have a little more speed than the power runner that Watson is. With an unproven passing QB as of yet I think our running game is our strength on offense (and we have depth, remember all these guys were redshirt freshmen together)

Anthony Watson
                          2004 stats 220 carries 1088 yards 4.9 5 tds

Cory Koenig
                          2004 stats 45 carries 192 yards 4.3 avg

Trevor Hohn
                          2004 stats 32 carries 92 yards 2.0 avg

Comment

Wats came out of spring ball listed at #3.
                            He still had some bruises he was working out, plus he isnt the greatest practice player.
                            I would suspect he will be right there on 9/3/05.

Comment

Coach Stig (and Daly before him) has never been afraid to make an incumbant player work for his position. It is all a competition and if our RB's are competing for the starting position, then the team will be better for it. That type of mindset helps in multiple ways. Recruiting being a huge one. It shows that the team is truly going to allow incoming freshman to compete for playing time regardless of who is ahead of them on the depth chart.

I benefitted from that mind set as I went from 5th on the depth chart as a skinny true freshman Mike Backer to starting at Sam Backer as a skinny redshirt freshman to losing my starting job halfway through the season after a poor outing against UND to starting the last 2 games of the season as a still skinny Mike Backer. That's the way it works.

Having said that, where ever Watson ends up on the depth chart, he'll see plenty of action. As evidenced by my situation as a freshman, the depth chart is generally always open for change during the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X