• Show
Clear All

• Andy Kardoes--Solari article

New Jacks QB ready to run
    Versatility could be Kardoes' greatest strength

CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 08/11/05

BROOKINGS - Sporting a pair of dark sunglasses, South Dakota State quarterback Andy Kardoes hid his eyes from the media day sun at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

In less than a month, he'll have to abandon the shades so he can stare down opposing defenses as the Jackrabbits' new starting signal caller.

"I like the pressure that everyone's putting on me," said Kardoes, a junior from Algona, Iowa, during the team's media day Wednesday. "I like the team that I have around me. I feel that as long as I just don't make mistakes, we'll be set."

The Jackrabbits began practice this week, and Kardoes will be the easiest change to pick out, having the dubious task of replacing record-smashing quarterback Brad Nelson.

But SDSU is full of new faces, especially head coach John Stiegelmeier's seven new assistants who include defensive coordinator Jay Bubak.

"They affect the game," Stiegelmeier said of the coaches. "We have a ton of guys - seven of them - who work tremendously hard. But there is no physical way, mental way possible to get all the stuff covered that they're going to face, that we're going to face. So the pressure's going to be on."

Entering their second year at the Division I-AA level, the Jackrabbits have been picked to finish near the bottom of the Great West Football Conference - fourth by the media and fifth by the coaches. SDSU finished last year 6-5 overall and 2-3 in the Great West.

Still, the predictions have not dissuaded rampant optimism for the season from the players. Six starters return on offense, while eight are back on defense.

"My expectation for myself is to help this team win a championship," said All-Great West junior running back Anthony Watson, who is the preseason conference offensive player of the year. "We do it collectively. It's not a one-person deal."

A lot of those lofty expectations will rest on Kardoes' right shoulder and legs. More mobile than predecessors Nelson and Dan Fjeldheim, the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder's ability has prompted changes in SDSU's offense to allow for more quarterback draws and option plays.

"The thing about Andy is that he's determined to be a great SDSU quarterback," said senior receiver Josh Davis, the school's career reception leader with 176 catches. "He's real focused, and he makes great decisions on and off the field."

Still, it's hard to ignore what he's replacing. Nelson threw for a school record 3,141 yards in his career and 47 touchdowns over the last two seasons as a starter.

When used in spot duty last season, Kardoes gave glimpses of his versatility. He finished second on the team with three of the Jacks' eight rushing touchdowns, while completing 13 of 33 passes for 191 yards with a TD and an interception.

"We've got some things going in that are for me," Kardoes said. "But with (Davis and Watson) out there, they're taking the pressure off me. Not everyone will be thinking, 'Kardoes, Kardoes, Kardoes' out there."

In SDSU's spring game in April, Kardoes completed 6 of 13 passes for 48 yards while alternating series with sophomore Reed Burkhardt and redshirt freshman Ryan Berry.

He'll have the luxury of having seven games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium to aid his baptism this fall, as well as an eighth game in South Dakota when the Jacks take on Great West foe Cal-Davis on Oct. 8 at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls.

That's in stark contrast to last season when SDSU had to fly to seven of its 11 games.

"It wore on a guy, that's for sure," senior defensive lineman D.J. Fischer said of last year's extensive travel. "You sit on an airplane for two hours - I'm 6-5, 290 pounds. Those airplane seats aren't that big."

The Jacks have five opponents on their schedule which were ranked in the preseason I-AA Top 25: at No. 3 Montana, No. 6 Georgia Southern in Brookings, No. 17 Cal Poly in Brookings, at No. 22 North Dakota State and at No. 23 Texas State.

NOTES: Linebacker Marty Kranz aggravated a leg injury from last season in the first week of practice and is questionable for the season. ... Second-team Great West tight end Paul Keizer has moved to offensive guard. Stiegelmeier said it should enhance the senior's appeal to NFL scouts, but the shift leaves the Jackrabbits with a group of young, inexperienced tight ends. ... Stiegelmeier announced that nose tackle Travis Ahrens has left the team. ... According to KJJQ-AM 910 in Brookings, Nelson has been diagnosed with a form of cancer called lymphoblastic lymphoma. Nelson has been begun chemotherapy treatments in LaCrosse, Wis.

Re: Andy Kardoes--Solari article

I guess 89 had already posted this on another thread...

Comment

Re: Andy Kardoes--Solari article

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
      I guess 89 had already posted this on another thread...
      Nah, Kid Dakota posted that one.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
      X