CFL season is underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL season is underway

It's that time again...Josh Ranek watch. The CFL season is underway and Ottowa has started 1-2. Haven't been able to find many stats so I've got no idea what type of season Josh is having. For the chatboard lovers the CFL site has forums for each team. Here's the link to Ottowa's forum http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNp...wforum&f=3. Hopefully it works. I know most people still like to know how Josh is doing, so during the season if anyone checks in on the CFL site it would be nice for an update here.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: CFL season is underway

I'll post an update myself. The stats are on a .pdf file, so I can't link. Here's Josh's stats thru two games (third game not on the update).

10 recptions for 82 yards, 0 TD
    18 carries, 115 yards, 0 TD, long of 41 yards

The QB is second in rushing with 68 yards.

Looks like the team is passing a lot, 484 yards combined in the first two games compared to 211 rush yards in two games. Hopefully Josh stays an integral part of the offense.

Comment

Ranek has a big day...

http://slam.canoe.ca/RenegadesNews05/0716b.html

Record-setting night for Ranek

Tailback, who has been with Renegades since 2002, explodes against Stampeders

Josh Ranek broke personal and franchise records Saturday night in the Renegades win over Calgary.
      OTTAWA - The first big run came with one of the largest roars of the game. And it was a game filled with a lot of cheers in a 33-18 Ottawa Renegades victory over the Calgary Stampeders.

A thundering cheer erupted as the man known as the 'Little Ball O'Hate' took a Kerry Joseph handoff early in the second quarter and rumbled down the field as if he were a cannonball being shot.

It was then when it became apparent that Josh Ranek's coming out party would be celebrated at Frank Clair Stadium Saturday night.

Before a boisterous crowd at Lansdowne Park, the fan favourite had his single-greatest day as a pro - and for the all-time leading rusher in Renegades history and back-to-back thousand-yard performer, that is no small feat. With 164 yards on 20 carries - the biggest coming on a 66-yard rumble later in the first half that set up a Yo Murphy touchdown catch, which gave Ottawa a commanding 27-4 advantage - Ranek re-wrote franchise history on a memorable night in the nation's capital.

Consider:
      His final yard total is a career-high and tops ever for a Renegades player since the club entered the Canadian Football League in 2002.
      No Renegade player had ever rushed for over 100 yards in the first half until Saturday when Ranek took eight carries for 137.
      He tied a franchise mark for most handoffs (20) in a game, tying his own mark set June 20, 2004 in an Ottawa win over Toronto in the team's home opener.
      His 66-yard dash is the most in his professional career.

And the reaction from the 27-year-old out of South Dakota? The usual aw-shucks response you can expect from a man who punches the clock every day with a blue-collar attitude.

"This was the best mix for our offence. When we have success, we have success on the ground and in the air," said Ranek after the game, which included five receptions for 48 yards. "To do that, we have to be successful on first down and move the sticks."

Ranek provided roars, but he also did what was imperative: extend drives; average nearly a first down on every touch (8.2 yards per carry, over 9 a catch) and add a dimension to the Renegades offence that was missing the opening three weeks.

"Rushing, yes. As a competitor, already thinking about what I need to work on. Those two runs were great, but it would be a lot better if I got in the end zone. Overall, the big thing on me is not turning over the football."

Ottawa opened in a hurry-up offence to begin the game and that, according to the man who helped devise the game-plan, was key to Ranek's success.

"When we started to go to our no-huddle offence, he was part of it. For the most part, he got some creases and once he got to the second level, he was off," said Renegades head coach and general manager Joe Paopao. "Once they blitz their linebackers, there are opportunities in the zone. Obviously he got the most yards and we're going to need that balance.

"Josh was big. He was big-time big. Not only the running game, he made some key stick plays (to produce first downs, when he was catching the ball."

Ottawa finished with 245 rushing yards, 160 more than Calgary. In addition to Ranek, Renegades quarterback Kerry Joseph had 11 carries for 66 yards and Jason Armstead was credited for a 13-yard run after catching a Joseph throw that was caught behind the point of the pass.

NOTES: Defensive back Da'Shann Austin, banged up in the second half, walked off the field and Paopao said he would be questionable for Thursday's Renegades home game against Edmonton. After the game, Austin appeared to be ok... Ottawa starting defensive end Kai Ellis re-aggrivated an ankle injury... Two injuries on the offensive line (Obby Khan and Pascal Cheron) do not appear to be serious. When Khan tweaked a knee injury (left), Mike Sutherland entered the game at centre and George Hudson shifted from snapper to right tackle... The Renegades are not only 2-0 at home, but have the same mark when Val St-Germain and Morris Unutoa lock down the left side of the Renegades offensive line... "This was one game, but a very good game," said Paopao. "We needed that, but we've been inching towards this. This gives our fans something to support and for us to feel good about a night until we wake up and reality hits and we have to go back to work again."

Comment

Congrats to Josh on his big day, but he just doesn't look right in red. ;D

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Congrats to Josh on his big day, but he just doesn't look right in red.   ;D  

Go State!  ;D
          Good job Josh - He was a great college back for the Jacks. Your right red doesn't suit him.

Comment

RATING THE RUNNING BACKS

Monday, July 25, 2005 - 08:41AM

1. Right now Josh Ranek is the top back in the CFL. Not only is he running the ball with some authority he is also catching a ton of passes.

2. Charles Roberts gets my vote at No. 2. His break out game against Montreal was awesome. He will be No. 1 soon. He is the shiftiest back in the CFL and he is one of the fastest backs.

3. Corey Holmes has lost his starting gig to a healthy Kenton Keith. Holmes was terrific filling in for Keith. He is a real team player and one of the best returners in the league.

4. Antonio Warren has to hold on to the football. He has fumbled the ball way too much this season. He has great hands and Dave Dickenson keeps throwing balls his way.

5. Entering the season Troy Davis was the No. 1 back in the CFL. His game against B.C. this past weekend was terrific. He will quickly move up with games like that. Davis can catch and block as well.

6. Joffrey Reynolds is one of the more exciting backs in the league. Calgary needs to get him the ball more often. He gets better as the game wears on. 15 carries a game would be nice.

7. Eric Lapointe has showed some flash and dash with the Alouettes. They need to run the ball a bit more. Hopefully Lapointe stays healthy.

8. Kenton Keith will move up the rankings once he gets back to full strength. His game against Calgary was below average.

9. Ron McClendon is great catching the ball out of the backfield but he needs to get more rushes. His offensive line is not helping him out much.

10. Hakim Hill has been impressive catching the ball but he has fumbled the ball away at crucial times. His offensive line needs to open up holes for him.

11. John Avery has been the worst back in the CFL so far this season. His game against the Roughriders was his worst as a professional. He looks to rebound against the Alouettes on Thursday.

Comment

why didn't he make it in the NFL? My bet is that he just never got a real opportunity. Maybe he will get another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbear
                why didn't he make it in the NFL? My bet is that he just never got a real opportunity. Maybe he will get another shot.
                Josh Ranek was in the Dallas Cowboy camp for some time before being released. His size 5' 8, probably worked the most against him. Certainly not his can do attitude.

I think he has found a home in the CFL. Age is probably already working against him. Just my take.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbear
                  Early on while in the Dallas camp he badly sprained his ankle. And when you're a rookie free agent with an injury, you're screwed. Hopefully, he'll get another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

I think he has found a home in the CFL. Age is probably already working against him.  Just my take.
                    He's only 26, but the clock is ticking...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

He's only 26, but the clock is ticking...
                      Only 26 becomes a big number when you have to compete against 15 other guys that are only 22.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Only 26 becomes a big number when you have to compete against 15 other guys that are only 22.
                        Man, you're making me feel old . But you're right, NFL teams do look at that age difference.

Comment

Rabbitinverm:
                          I am 64 so yes 26 is very young.

I know Josh was interviewed a few times in SD before the CFL started and I did not catch any of them. I wonder what he is doing in terms of salary and what will this season do in terms of improving his bargining power. I also wonder if he still has a NFL agent and if this guy is getting any lead or offers. Probably not since agents feel they must be paid.

This is why I kind think Josh has found a home and a way of making a living and maybe this is all he wants as long as he can play football.  Football seems to be fun for Josh.  Standing on the sidelines in the NFL might pay more but it would not have the adventure, that Josh seems to seek and has found in the CFL.

I would love to see him either as offensive coordinator or even Head Coach at SDSU maybe 10 or 15 years from now. Josh has a great deal to teach to aspiring running backs.

Comment

Ottowa is on a pretty good run up north. Doesn't look like Josh's stats are too spectacular though.

http://slam.canoe.ca/RenegadesGames05/0811.html

Also found this beauty (my new avatar) linked on one of their forums.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JOSH-RANEK-71-200...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                            X