Marketing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing

Why hasn't SDSU been marketing the football team/schedule yet?  Maybe a commerical, radio or newspaper advertisement?  To me, it seems pretty easy to market a team like SDSU in the Brookings region--but it doesn't seem to be happening.  All I've seen thus far are small signs around Brookings that say "Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks".  Disappointing. :-/

Re: Marketing

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
    Why hasn't SDSU been marketing the football team/schedule yet?  Maybe a commerical, radio or newspaper advertisement?  To me, it seems pretty easy to market a team like SDSU in the Brookings region--but it doesn't seem to be happening.  All I've seen thus far are small signs around Brookings that say "Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks".  Disappointing. :-/
    They seem to be relying on the 'free' media (newspaper stories, etc.) and it seems like there's been quite a bit of decent coverage out there. I know that more marketing is in the future, but marketing is expensive, and I think they're focused on scholarships and such right now. Anybody have any more info on that?

I keep seeing ads for USD football on TV, which is funny considering that they have serious budget problems. Every TV ad you see probably runs in the $500 to $750 range. It doesn't take very many of those and you have the cost of a year's scholarship for somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
      They seem to be relying on the 'free' media (newspaper stories, etc.) and it seems like there's been quite a bit of decent coverage out there. I know that more marketing is in the future, but marketing is expensive, and I think they're focused on scholarships and such right now. Anybody have any more info on that?

I keep seeing ads for USD football on TV, which is funny considering that they have serious budget problems. Every TV ad you see probably runs in the $500 to $750 range. It doesn't take very many of those and you have the cost of a year's scholarship for somebody.
      Could that perhaps be why USD has money problems? Too busy on the shiny end of things to get their fundamentals down?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They are running adds on WNAX, started some time last week. The adds feature Coach Stig, provides ticket info, and uses the Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks theme.

Comment

I saw a couple ads in the Register last week and also heard the radio ad on 910-AM. While it was good to hear the ad, they may want to find someone other than Stig to read.

Comment

Marketing is a funny thing. True supporters already know about the Jacks. When those people see the ads, they feel better that someone else may have seen the same ad.

How about the borderline fans? Does a TV ad draw them in? Or the cross promotion SDSU does (Beef Bowl, Shrine Game, Cereal Bowl, etc.)?

In this very conservative state, you build their relationship: listen to a game on the radio, attend a game, give a gift to the Jackrabbit Club, buy season tickets, fundraise for them in your community, give a major gift, endow a scholarship. You will never get someone to give a major gift by advertising on the TV or radio. You need the face-to-face.

A businessman told me once, you advertise when you need to...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit
              Marketing is a funny thing.  True supporters already know about the Jacks.  When those people see the ads, they feel better that someone else may have seen the same ad.

How about the borderline fans?  Does a TV ad draw them in?  Or the cross promotion SDSU does (Beef Bowl, Shrine Game, Cereal Bowl, etc.)?

In this very conservative state, you build their relationship: listen to a game on the radio, attend a game, give a gift to the Jackrabbit Club, buy season tickets, fundraise for them in your community, give a major gift, endow a scholarship.  You will never get someone to give a major gift by advertising on the TV or radio.  You need the face-to-face.

There is a lot of wisdom in this post. Take our former rival to the south as an example. They have ramped up their advertising for a reason.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The key in my opinion with Marketing is perceived value. In other words what can SDSU offer to a business that they can trade each other to obtain the justification necessary to ask for $$$ in return. I have been to conferences and have taken classes that insist TRADE OUT is the only way for athletic departments to market.

For example, SDSU sells tickets to each game and on the back of each ticket stub is a coupon for say Three dollars off your next purchase at a restaurant and the coupon is good for a week. This restaurant maybe willing to pay SDSU $X,XXX.xx in product and CASH to hand out 9,000 coupons to each home football game. SDSU now is selling a seat for the game and giving away a coupon that could save a party of two $6.00 on a nice meal at the local restaurant. If the total bill is $20 the savings is 30% and if the meal is $30 is 20 %. The restaurant is automatically the hot spot after each home game. I would think a local establishment would jump at the chance for the right package (Trade-out). These types of promotions are invaluable. Gas stations, grocery store, video stores, movie theaters could all profit and take advantage of this type of marketing.

I believe SDSU needs to develop more creative ways to market its brand and should be able to do it at zero cost to the department financially. It should not matter if it is ticket backs, signage, billboards, radio/ T.V. spots or print ads. Whenever SDSU has an event it needs to be marketed and promoted.

Love them or hate them but thunder-sticks would be another excellent idea for some company to buy then and put SDSU Jackrabbits and they business name on them and have them out to the students at home games they are loud and students seem to have fun with them. You could also number them and give out prizes throughout the game to the lucky persons with the right numbers.

I am partial to the cowbell but they do not seem to be as prevalent as in the past.

We...ARE...STATE!
                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I am sure the athletic department is hesitant to give out anything that could be used as a projectile. I was at a Football game a couple years ago when some in the crowd started thowing the fans that they used to hand out. The cowbells would be a great idea!

Comment

Unfortunately I agree with Rabbit in Verm on this one and am somewhat dissapointed in the marketing the Athletic Department has done.  I don't expect a over the top campaign with no logical support (i.e. South Dakota's Team) like our neighbors to the south, but something should be done.  Talking with students and parents from South Dakota everyday I think many of them know of the division 1 move but they still don't understand the level of football they will have the opportunity to see in Brookings and S falls.  Even more they don't understand the gameday atmosphere they will get on Saturdays in Coughlin.  

Just look at our visitors from last year for example, Bison fans are hard pressed to admit that anything about SDSU football is quality but i haven't heard one not praise our tailgaiting, atmosphere, and game last year in Brookings.  That environment will even be improved this year with the visual improvements at the stadium.  

I understand one wants to be careful where you spend your resources and market your product.  In my opinion the general fan or the guy who loves sports but hasn't yet supported the Jacks needs to see something to convince them to come to Brookings on a Saturday.

Honestly, if both sides aren't talking, the general public doesn't have a choice of who they listen to.  Right now as weak as the message is, only USD is talking.  

Just my 2 cents, I guess that's why i don't get paid the big bucks...what do you guys think?
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit
                      Do the Bison need to advertise? No. But they do, and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

Do the Bison need to advertise?  No.  But they do, and it works.
                        Are you suggesting that the Fargodome would be empty if NDSU didn't advertise? Would the luxury suites go unsold? What is the purpose of their advertising? What objectives does it serve?

I'm not arguing that advertising isn't sometimes a good idea. But unless you have a strategic plan, clear objectives, and a way to evaluate whether or not your money solved a problem, you might as well set your money in a big pile and light it on fire. At least you'd get some free media coverage for that.

Comment

OK,
                          I am not doubting your expertise in this area as a journalism professor and professional you have much more experience than anyone on the board.  However, i doubt NDSU is tossing their money in the air and lighting it on fire.  I would guess they produce results, and monitor those results, from their advertising (namely a sold out Fargodome, the lecacy of NDSU football, increased fan support, excitement, etc).  I know not all of these thing are solely, or even partly a result of increased marketing, but it must not hurt or they wouldn't do it.  Just like NDSU, our AD has people directly responsible for marketing and promotions for a reason. i would hope and assume these people are fully capable of strategically planning, monitoring, and researching the results of any ad campaign.
                           Like i said, don't spend hundreds of thousands on marketing...but give the general public something else to hear and see besides "South Dakota's Team".  Maybe it would result in 500 more at every home game.  Eventually it pays for itself.  
                          Hopefully  you can ween yourself away from putting money into marketing and rely more on word of mouth from the extra people who have experienced an exciting athletic event.  
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

What about the corporate route ? Season tickets, Acme day at Frost Arena, etc....  You get the idea.
                            You may not reach the mass of people but can be effective and more direct to a group of people (groups add up) and maybe a little cheaper than mass media ? Not saying you should intermix business and education but the sports aspect. This is DI bigger money, more business like attitude maybe needed.

Your thoughts as this is not an area of expertise for me (come to think of it I really don't have one)

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                              Talking with students and parents from South Dakota everyday I think many of them know of the division 1 move but they still don't understand the level of football they will have the opportunity to see in Brookings and S falls. Even more they don't understand the gameday atmosphere they will get on Saturdays in Coughlin.

Just look at our visitors from last year for example, Bison fans are hard pressed to admit that anything about SDSU football is quality but i haven't heard one not praise our tailgaiting, atmosphere, and game last year in Brookings. That environment will even be improved this year with the visual improvements at the stadium.
                              Last year, Metro State (Denver) had a weekly or monthly show on Altitude Sports Television that I would like to see SDSU take a look at. It was much more than a coach’s show for one sport. I would show highlights of athletic events, talk to coaches to give analysis, but it also really showcased the university as a whole. It talked about their mission and where they are going. It also talked to coaches (Dunlap) and go some insight on coaching philosophies, mentors, books he recommends. It was very interesting. Other interviews included the Athletic Director and the MSCD President.

I have always thought SDSU was somewhat secretive about its comings and goings and I think this could really sell the university and athletics to the South Dakota and the region.

Any ideas for topics? Does not have to be sports related. But remember SDSU does have the Rabbit Tracks, Jacks Flash and the STATE Magazine for Alumni (maybe more).

My suggestions:

1. Video diary of the Women's Basketball Team at the Tournament in the Virgin Islands. (I know it was last year but it would have been awesome to see something.)
                              2. Video diary of the Montana Trip (day in the life of SDSU football)
                              3. Recap of Alumni gatherings
                              4. THE PRIDE!
                              5. Campus renovations (past - present - future)
                              6. Special segment to showcase SDSU motto "You Can Go Anywhere From Here".
                              7. Highlights and breakdowns from coaches on sporting events.
                              8. Student-Athlete Feature.
                              9. Coaches Corner (detailing philosophies, personalities, families, hobbies, etc.)
                              10. Campus recreation
                              11. Game Day in Brookings
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X