USA Today Story on name change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Today Story on name change

As many of you know there is a debate going on in the NCAA about changing the name of our football sub classification. As most know D-I football is broken into two sub-classifications I-A and I-AA, this seems to confuse the casual spectator and so, many are trying to fix this. Here are highlights from a USA Today story:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...visionaa_x.htm

Division I-AA category isn't letter-perfect for all
    By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY

Division I-AA football will have a more beneficial relationship with Division I-A this season but must wait for a larger package of enhancements to pass the NCAA review process. . . .

The NCAA has approved legislation allowing I-A schools to count victories against I-AA opponents toward bowl eligibility each season rather than once every four years, which had been the format since 1998. I-A members also can count an I-AA game as one of its five required home games.

"The enhancements (removing restrictions on I-AA games) gives us the access (to I-A) we want and we need," says Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett. "But we have problems with (being known as I-AA). We're Division I, and we're being mistaken for something less than that. . . .

Division I-A crowns a national champion outside the framework of the NCAA by using the Bowl Championship Series to match the two highest-ranked teams in one of four major bowls. I-AA's champion is determined by a 16-team playoff under the NCAA umbrella . . . .

. . . . Burnett says. "Instead of the BCS we could call it the Playoff Championship Series." . . .

A total of 119 schools play at the Division I-A level, and 120 schools compete at I-AA. . . .

"There are still some issues to resolve, but I don't think they're significant in nature," Poppe says. "Division I-AA is very good football and provides opportunities for a lot of student-athletes. Too often people get caught up in the extra "A" and don't focus on what this division really has to offer."

I personally like the idea of NCAA D-I Football - BCS and PCS.

Go State! ;D
Working...
X