Great West year II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great West year II

Here are highlights from a story from the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free)

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Great West gains I-AA recognition
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Monday, August 29, 2005

It was about this time last year when six Division I-AA football teams opened under the banner of the Great West Football Conference. The new league was a virtual unknown to the I-AA community.

Three months later – with an 8-6 record against the established Big Sky Conference and a No. 2 power poll rating among all I-AA leagues – the little conference that could, did.

Now comes the trick: to repeat that kind of showing.

“It will be a challenge,” said Chris Kelly, who writes a weekly Internet column on the Great West. “I think the talent is there for at least the top three or four teams to make a good showing.”

The Great West’s winning record against the Big Sky came against several Big Sky teams that finished in the bottom half of the league. The road is slated to be tougher this year. More Great West teams will be facing more Big Sky teams that are picked to challenge for the title.

For instance: North Dakota State plays at Montana State while Cal Poly hosts Montana State; South Dakota State and Cal Poly both play at the University of Montana and California Davis plays at Eastern Washington while Cal Poly hosts Eastern.

“This year the Great West is playing more of the Montanas and the Eastern Washingtons and less of the Weber States and the Sac States,” Kelly said. . . .

Great West league play does not get going in earnest until October so there is a lot of room for teams to grow or go backward. Already, most teams have lost a significant player during fall camp.

NDSU standout receiver Travis White went down with a season-ending ACL injury last week. The same injury hit Northern Colorado starting linebacker Thomas Smith. Davis lost cornerback Derick Daniels, SDSU lost linebacker Marty Kranz and Cal Poly lost projected starting running back Drew Robinson.

“Those are some pretty big hits there,” Kelly said. . . .

NDSU and Southern Utah both open Thursday; NDSU at home against Arkansas-Monticello and Southern at Idaho State. On Saturday, Cal Poly plays at Division I-A Troy State (Ala.), Davis hosts New Hampshire, Northern Colorado hosts Colorado Mines and SDSU hosts Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Last year, only Northern Colorado at 2-9 had a losing record. Cal Poly, at 9-2, narrowly missed being picked as an at-large entrant to the playoffs, NDSU went 8-3, Davis was 6-4 and Southern Utah and SDSU each finished 6-5.

“To me, it’s a very balanced league and I don’t think anybody will go through it undefeated,” Bohl said.

Go State! ;D

Working...
X