Bad news for the Bison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for the Bison

It is always sad when an athlete loses a season to an injury.  I myself missed two games and was slowed my Sr. season of high school due to a knee injury.  Highlights from the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free).

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Standout receiver out for the year with torn ACL
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Tuesday, August 23, 2005

It looked harmless enough, a simple crossing pattern over the middle.

But when the play was over Monday morning, wide receiver Travis White, perhaps North Dakota State’s best offensive weapon, suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Bison head coach Craig Bohl said the noncontact injury is an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

After catching a pass, White’s knee buckled.

“It didn’t look like anything,” receiver Marques Johnson said. “He caught the ball and did a spin.” .  .  .

White has 119 receptions for 1,336 yards and 11 touchdowns in his Bison career. He had a breakout season in 2004 with 57 catches for 776 yards and nine touchdowns.

“To say losing Travis doesn’t change the makeup of our team would be short-minded,” Bohl said. “He’s a big-time player.”

White’s injury likely will make a starter of freshman Kole Heckendorf, who has been working as the No. 3 receiver this fall behind Johnson and White. Bohl is not sure how the depth chart will shake out behind Heckendorf.  .  .  .

Best of luck to Travis, hopefully his recovery will be speedy.

Re: Bad news for the Bison

There is certainly a disparity in scholarships that currently exists between NDSU and SDSU. When a season ending injury happens NDSU will be in a better position for a while to maintain the skill level on the field with the added depth they have.

Comment

The turf on the Fargodome ended my career. I hate that stuff. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Tell me about that turf Rabbit Alum. White was hurt on grass. Im sure any player thats hurt rues the surface to some extent. Its always unfortunate.

Comment

More bad news coming out of the Great West, this time from Greeley.

http://www.i-aa.com/news/article_11243.shtml

Senior LB Thomas Smith to Miss Season
          UNC Sports Information
          Aug 23, 2005, 22:38

GREELEY, Colo. - University of Northern Colorado senior linebacker Thomas Smith will miss the 2005 season after suffering a season-ending injury in last Saturday's scrimmage at Nottingham Field. . . .

Smith was expected to be the Bears' starter at middle linebacker. Smith started all 11 games last season at outside linebacker and tallied 95 total tackles. Smith garnered All-Great West Football Conference honors in 2004.

Defensive coordinator Jed Stugart indicated that redshirt freshman Dylan Moss (Honolulu, Hawaii) or true freshman Jake Duren (Littleton, Colo.) would replace Smith in the starting lineup. . . .

Comment

In both cases here, I think someone else will step up and show some talent.

One or two injuries do stop the train. I think we still have to play our best to beat both NDSU and UNC. Lets hope none of our go to guys go down in this manner.

Comment

Didn't we already lose Kranz? Or is he going to be able to come back?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Here is a story that appeared in the Watertown Pulbic Opinion and was posted on another thread on our board.

http://www.thepublicopinion.com/arti...s/sports01.txt

SDSU's Kranz sidelined by hamstring injury

By the P.O. Sports Staff
                Friday, August 12, 2005 9:14 AM CDT

BROOKINGS - Junior linebacker Marty Kranz of Watertown aggravated a leg injury in the first fall practice for South Dakota State University's football team. . . .

Kranz injured his hamstring and is questionnable for the season, according to head coach John Stiegelmeier.

"He may come back and be available on a limited basis," said Stiegelmeier. . . .

So we too have already suffered a loss due to the injury bug. Hopefully Marty can recover quickly and help the Jacks this season but when I have heard Stig speak it didn't sound good. Best wishes to Marty.

Go State! ;D

Comment

It's the number. #50 has been jinxed with the injury bug for the past 12 seasons starting with Karl Papke.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

MilwaukeeJacksAlum,

If you had pencil legs instead of toothpick legs you wouldn't have blown out your knee. Maybe you should reflect back on your freshman year and should have done a few more squats and less of breaking people's noses. Heading to the game Saturday? I'm bringing the youngster to the game to get him started early. 16 more years and he may be able to sport the the Jacks colors.

Comment

I was speaking more about my own teamate putting the hit of his career on me during pass skel in half pads thus rupturing his appendix.

I won't be able to make the game this weekend, unfortunately, but will bringing the fam to a couple of the games this year. Hopefully the beef bowl for the football shinding. I'll check in with you then and we'll get together for some barleypop.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                      X