Season Preview stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Preview stories

With today being media day, I am sure we will see some stories hitting the web about our Jackrabbits. Here are highlights from the first one I have found. From the Aberdeen American News:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/12350895.htm

Posted on Wed, Aug. 10, 2005

SDSU ready to kick off season

ERIC BOLIN

Associated Press

BROOKINGS, S.D. - There's a reason for the aura of optimism and confidence in Jackrabbit country.

After a 6-5 record in their first year at the NCAA Division I level, the players and coaches at South Dakota State University are looking forward to playing with a year of D-I experience under their belt.

"We used to go in unsure, but now we have to be confident," said Anthony Watson. "There's nothing we can do if we're not confident."

The junior running back has reason to be confident.

Watson was listed by the Great West Football Conference Web site as the preseason offensive player of the year.

Despite the praise, he doesn't let the accolades go to his head. A recurring theme on the Jacks' squad is the team game. From the head coach to star running back, down to the first-time starting quarterback, the Jackrabbits preach a team concept.

"It's nice to have a compliment, but you can't let it get to your head. If it wasn't for the team and my blockers, I wouldn't be there," said Watson.

Joining Watson on the GWFC preseason first team are senior wide receiver Josh Davis and junior offensive lineman Taylor Murray.

Davis and Murray will be catching and protecting a new quarterback this season.

Andy Kardoes takes the reins from the now-graduated Brad Nelson. He brings a different style of signal-calling, said head coach John Stiegelmeier.

Kardoes can run out of the pocket and have running plays called specifically for him. And that ability has Davis excited.

"He's able to make something out of nothing," Davis said. "It's great as a receiver, I like to get behind the defense. With Andy back there, I can."

With plenty of offensive firepower returning, the Jacks also have added confidence with a schedule that falls in their favor. Seven games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in Brookings and one at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls give the Jacks a chance to play in front of the home crowd.

Senior cornerback Hank McCall said playing in front of friends and family helps the team play more intense.

"It's great. There's nothing like playing in front of your friends and family. With the big-time crowd we have, it's going to be a lot of fun," he said.

McCall is another reason the Jacks think they have a chance to compete for the conference championship. He earned second-team all-GWFC honors last season, and is on this year's preseason first team.

The Jacks return all four members of the defensive secondary, and two all-conference honorable mention selections in senior defensive linemen Gabe Koenigsfeld and D.J. Fischer. . . .

SDSU travels to Missoula on Sept. 17 to take on the defending national IAA runners-up, the Montana Grizzlies. But Stiegelmeier said the senior leadership will have a major impact on the season.

"If we have a guy walking around excited about going to Missoula, our seniors have to let him know there's only one reason to be there, and that's to win a football game," he said.

Although SDSU has the benefit of playing a majority of games in front of the home folks, they still take on five preseason top 25 squads.

Besides playing the No. 3 ranked Grizzlies in Missoula, the Jackrabbits will travel to No. 22 ranked North Dakota State and No. 23 ranked Texas State. SDSU faces sixth-ranked Georgia Southern and 17th-ranked Cal Poly in Brookings.

Traveling to San Marcos, Texas, and Missoula, Mont., shouldn't be a problem for the Jacks. Last year, they went to Baton Rouge, La. and beat Southern University.

With the confidence of being able to play on the road, and the fortune of playing essentially eight home games, the Jacks know the goal this season is a conference championship. And Davis said he's ready for the improvement.

"Six and five isn't good enough. We want a championship."

Go State! ;D

Re: Season Preview stories

Jackguy II already posted this, but I thought I would post it under this thread also. Highlights from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...18&page=25

Jackrabbit season opens

BY ERIC X. VICCARO

As both water and sweat cascaded down the backs of the necks of offensive lineman, South Dakota State University opened the 2005 season with its first practice Monday afternoon on campus.
    Players practiced in shiny, new blue helmets that were barely scratched and the accompanying mesh shorts and jerseys. Offensive players wore blue while the defense dressed in white.
    So, what was eighth-year coach John Stiegelmeier's first impression?
    "I think we have a ways to go," he said, "and that's based more on practice than conditioning." . . .

"I thought practice was good," Stiegelmeier said. "It was crisp and we had good effort."
    Practice consisted of 28 five-minute periods, ranging from position-specific work to special teams and team drills. Players ran 100-yard wind sprints at the end of practice.
    Earlier on Monday, players underwent tests to determine how much they lift in the bench press, power clean and squat. Vertical jump, height and weight were measured, and players had to complete a 300-yard shuttle run.
    Freshmen also had to finish running a L-drill used to measure agility. Players had to scamper around little orange cones that were placed in the shape of the Letter “L.”
    "All the freshmen tested well," Stiegelmeier said.
    Although it's so early in the going, Stiegelmeier also said that developing depth in the linebacking crew, defensive line and tight ends is crucial.
    Players will practice again today at 3:40 p.m. Wednesday's practice will take place during the morning because of Media Day festivities. The first full-pad practice won't take place until Friday, under NCAA guidelines.
    Practice features seven new coaches aboard at SDSU: Jay Bubak, Rob Sarvis, Josh Conklin, Ryan Gubb, Mike Blackburn, Cartier Walker and Antoine Manning.
    Jackrabbit Notes: A board carried around by the Jackrabbit athletic training staff said that the temperature was 90 degrees and humidity 59 percent at the start of practice . . . Anthony Blackman of Pittsburg, Calif., was an interested spectator in the camp, his son Joseph wears No. 24 and is a freshman on the team. Joseph is expected to play cornerback. Anthony is no stranger to success on the gridiron, having been a former San Francisco 49ers' training camp participant and letterwinner at San Jose State more than two decades ago . . . There will be a mini-scrimmage between the offense and the defense Saturday . . . Practices are open to the public for viewing, Stiegelmeier said.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

There's the new helmet. Looks pretty good.

Comment

KELO-Land TV had a nice story on at 10:00 pm about several SDSU sport programs. Here one from their web site

[hr]

08/10/2005
        SDSU Prepares For Season Two As A Division One Program
        http://www.keloland.com/Sports/NewsD...cfm?ID=0,41723

SDSU has grown since its move to division one, upgrading facilities and increasing scholarships, while searching for a conference to call home. But, those changes haven't altered the Jacks' way of play.  

Head football coach John Stigilmeier believes consistency is key to wins.
        "As coaches we're trying to say get as good as you can be today and start again tomorrow...it's a pretty simple approach but it has been consistent for the last eight years and we are just trying to do that again this year."

State's football program earned plenty of frequent flier miles in 2004, playing seven road games in six remote states. This fall, SDSU will defend its home turf over and over, playing seven games in Brookings and one in Sioux Falls. Defensive End Hank McCall is just happy to be playing so many games at home.

"I think it's very important not just because of the competition but because off all the games away last year was pretty stressful, being home will be nice."

Indoors, the Jacks' volleyball team looks to improve upon last year's 22-and-12 season...which will be no easy task, as Andrew Palileo's team will play some of the nation's elite.

"We scheduled 3 top 30 teams, Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbra and Kansas State. We're using those matches as a barometer as how much better we need to get as the season goes along."

SDSU's other big change is the addition of a multi-million dollar, multi-media scoreboard and video display to be built at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium and Frost Arena. Athletic Director Fred Oien is pleased with the results.

"Anything new creates some excitement. The project on the scoreboard has been a long time coming. Daktronics has done better than we ever could have imagined."

Alison Adair

© 2005 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.

Comment

Eric Bolin's AP story got picked up by ESPN, kinda cool. 8)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...amp;id=2130854

Go State! ;D

Comment

New Jacks QB ready to run
            Versatility could be Kardoes' greatest strength

Published: 08/11/05
            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...51/1002/SPORTS

CHRIS SOLARI
            csolari@argusleader.com

Multimedia:
            • Listen to SDSU athletic director Fred Oien at the media day presentation http://www.argusleader.com/assets/mp3/DF7008811.MP3
            (MP3 Audio File)

• Listen to the Argus Leader Sports Web show from Skinner's Pub in downtown Brookings http://www.argusleader.com/assets/mp3/DF7010811.MP3
            (MP3 Audio File)

BROOKINGS - Sporting a pair of dark sunglasses, South Dakota State quarterback Andy Kardoes hid his eyes from the media day sun at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

In less than a month, he'll have to abandon the shades so he can stare down opposing defenses as the Jackrabbits' new starting signal caller.

"I like the pressure that everyone's putting on me," said Kardoes, a junior from Algona, Iowa, during the team's media day Wednesday. "I like the team that I have around me. I feel that as long as I just don't make mistakes, we'll be set."

The Jackrabbits began practice this week, and Kardoes will be the easiest change to pick out, having the dubious task of replacing record-smashing quarterback Brad Nelson.

But SDSU is full of new faces, especially head coach John Stiegelmeier's seven new assistants who include defensive coordinator Jay Bubak.

"They affect the game," Stiegelmeier said of the coaches. "We have a ton of guys - seven of them - who work tremendously hard. But there is no physical way, mental way possible to get all the stuff covered that they're going to face, that we're going to face. So the pressure's going to be on."

Entering their second year at the Division I-AA level, the Jackrabbits have been picked to finish near the bottom of the Great West Football Conference - fourth by the media and fifth by the coaches. SDSU finished last year 6-5 overall and 2-3 in the Great West.

Still, the predictions have not dissuaded rampant optimism for the season from the players. Six starters return on offense, while eight are back on defense.

"My expectation for myself is to help this team win a championship," said All-Great West junior running back Anthony Watson, who is the preseason conference offensive player of the year. "We do it collectively. It's not a one-person deal."

A lot of those lofty expectations will rest on Kardoes' right shoulder and legs. More mobile than predecessors Nelson and Dan Fjeldheim, the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder's ability has prompted changes in SDSU's offense to allow for more quarterback draws and option plays.

"The thing about Andy is that he's determined to be a great SDSU quarterback," said senior receiver Josh Davis, the school's career reception leader with 176 catches. "He's real focused, and he makes great decisions on and off the field."

Still, it's hard to ignore what he's replacing. Nelson threw for a school record 3,141 yards in his career and 47 touchdowns over the last two seasons as a starter.

When used in spot duty last season, Kardoes gave glimpses of his versatility. He finished second on the team with three of the Jacks' eight rushing touchdowns, while completing 13 of 33 passes for 191 yards with a TD and an interception.

"We've got some things going in that are for me," Kardoes said. "But with (Davis and Watson) out there, they're taking the pressure off me. Not everyone will be thinking, 'Kardoes, Kardoes, Kardoes' out there."

In SDSU's spring game in April, Kardoes completed 6 of 13 passes for 48 yards while alternating series with sophomore Reed Burkhardt and redshirt freshman Ryan Berry.

He'll have the luxury of having seven games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium to aid his baptism this fall, as well as an eighth game in South Dakota when the Jacks take on Great West foe Cal-Davis on Oct. 8 at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls.

That's in stark contrast to last season when SDSU had to fly to seven of its 11 games.

"It wore on a guy, that's for sure," senior defensive lineman D.J. Fischer said of last year's extensive travel. "You sit on an airplane for two hours - I'm 6-5, 290 pounds. Those airplane seats aren't that big."

The Jacks have five opponents on their schedule which were ranked in the preseason I-AA Top 25: at No. 3 Montana, No. 6 Georgia Southern in Brookings, No. 17 Cal Poly in Brookings, at No. 22 North Dakota State and at No. 23 Texas State.

NOTES: Linebacker Marty Kranz aggravated a leg injury from last season in the first week of practice and is questionable for the season. ... Second-team Great West tight end Paul Keizer has moved to offensive guard. Stiegelmeier said it should enhance the senior's appeal to NFL scouts, but the shift leaves the Jackrabbits with a group of young, inexperienced tight ends. ... Stiegelmeier announced that nose tackle Travis Ahrens has left the team. ... According to KJJQ-AM 910 in Brookings, Nelson has been diagnosed with a form of cancer called lymphoblastic lymphoma. Nelson has been begun chemotherapy treatments in LaCrosse, Wis.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

There's the new helmet.  Looks pretty good.
              I think the stripe is athletic tape.

Comment

Media day observations...
                The O line and linebackers will be thin. Good upfront, but after that, a little scary. Line calls for the offense will be slimmed down, a lot...
                The offense is still coming together, and could be pretty exciting.....in several ways!
                Anthony Watson looks good, and was already pounding corners the first day of contact. Tight ends are a work in progress.
                Injuries will be key. If the Jacks can stay healthy, they could have a pretty good year.
                The new defensive coaches bring more quiet intensity. That could be an improvement.
                Lots to do before 9/3....

Comment

What kind of leg injury did Kranz suffer? Stig alluded to it in the show with Mike yesterday, but didn't ellaborate. Anyone know?
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Posted on Thu, Aug. 11, 2005
                    Gettysburg grad develops into solid player for Jacks
                    By Deb Smith
                    American News Sports Writer
                    http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/12356524.htm

In D.J. Fischer's five years at South Dakota State, the Jackrabbits football schedule has undergone an extreme makeover.

Fischer, a two-time all-state football player at Gettysburg High School, has seen the SDSU schedule go from NCAA Division II and the North Central Conference to NCAA Division 1-AA and the Great West Football Conference.

This season South Dakota State will play seven home games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium on campus and one game at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls. The three road games will be at Missoula, Mont.; San Marcos, Texas; and Fargo, N.D.

"I like the Division One competition we play against," said Fischer, who was an honorable mention All-Great Western Conference selection last season. "The teams are a lot different but it's all football so it's the same. We do get to play some bigger name schools so that's kind of nice."

Fischer, who is listed at 6-foot-3 and 285 pounds, red-shirted his first season and played in a total of 17 games as a freshman and sophomore. Last season the defensive lineman played in all 11 games. He has a career total of 69 tackles and is once again projected as a starter this season.

Fischer and his Jackrabbit teammates started practice sessions this week. SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier is very aware of Fischer's contributions to the team.

"First of all, he's blessed with a ton of God-given ability. He's a very gifted person," said Stiegelmeier, who is a Selby native and former Northern State assistant coach. "Second, he has taken that ability as far as he can take it. He's worked unbelievably hard and has not wasted a second. The third thing, he really has a great attitude."

Fischer made a smooth transition from high school football to college.

"The biggest change for me was from nine-man football to 11-man football. Back in high school a full team for us was 30 guys and now in college it's 95," he said.

Fischer's physical development in college led to a change in his jersey number. He started out with number 34, but now sports the number 98.

"I grew out of that 34 jersey," he said. "The offensive linemen are still quite a bit bigger than me but I'm pretty quick for my size and that helps me the most."

Fischer, who stayed in Brookings over the summer to work out with teammates, plans to graduate in December with a degree in business economics. At his point in his college career, he doesn't have any regrets.

"A lot of times I'll come home and I'm sore all over or I might have an injury," said Fischer. "People say, 'Why do you do this? It doesn't seem like it's worth it.' I wouldn't change it. I'd do it all over again. I'm not worried about this season. I'm excited about it this year even more than I have been."

Fischer's family is also happy about the upcoming season and especially the many home games. All of Fischer's games are attended by numerous family members and friends.

"It means the world to me," he said about having family at the games. "They're the most important thing for me. I'm excited to have all these home games. They usually sit in about the same spot so I kind of know where they're at. I don't hear them or acknowledge them until after the game. I'm usually tuckered out after the football game."

Fischer's mother Laurie Robbennolt, stepfather Steve Robbennolt and an assortment of relatives and friends travel to football games to watch D.J. at South Dakota State, his brother Tyler Fischer at Southwest Minnesota State in Marshall and another brother Michael Fischer at Gettysburg High School. This fall, they will add stepbrother Blake Robbennolt's junior high schedule to their itinerary. Blake will be a seventh-grader at Gettysburg.

"We have three away games and they're going to all of those," said D.J. "On four different occasions they will be in Gettysburg for Michael on Friday night, in Marshall Saturday afternoon for Tyler and in Brookings for my night games. It works out well for them."

Fischer credits his family for their support and his high school coach for his interest in the sport.

"My high school coach Bill Witte taught me a lot," said Fischer. "He got me started in football and has always been there."

When the Jackrabbits take the field on Sept. 3 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, Fischer will be one of the team leaders on the field and on the sidelines.

"He's a vocal guy and an action guy," Stiegelmeier said. "He's played in a lot of games. He's suffered through having three different position coaches but that says some thing about his personality. He's a team player."

We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The new sports editor at the Brookings Register, Eric X. Viccaro is doing a great job covering the Jacks thus far. Especially compared to years past.

Eric, keep up the good work

Comment

Here is another example of Eric's work:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...40&page=25

Defense shines at scrimmage
                        BY ERIC X. VICCARO

The South Dakota State University football team had a mini-scrimmage on an unusually cool August afternoon on campus Saturday.
                        Fall was in the air. And, apparently, the Jackrabbit defense took note of that.
                        SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier said both the offense and defense have had different days when they have shined.
                        "Each side of the ball has had its days," Stiegelmeier said. "The defense did a good job of stopping the offense from moving the ball."
                        Stiegelmeier said new defensive coordinator Jay Bubak, who was hired away from Missouri Western after the past six seasons, has a simple philosophy about putting the clamps down on opposing offenses.
                        "They've made it their job to 'play fast,'" Stiegelmeier said. "The defensive coaching staff has demanded it. They were able to pursue like crazy. They played with great effort."
                        Defensive back Andrew Hoogeveen made impressive back-to-back plays. First, he sacked starting quarterback Andy Kardoes. On the next play, Hoogeveen registered an interception.
                        Brock Gentile, another defensive back, made an alert fumble recovery that drew the praise of Stiegelmeier. After picking up the ball, Stiegelmeier walked over to Gentile and patted him on the helmet for a job well done.
                        Scott Breyfogle had the loudest tackle of the scrimmage, popping an unidentified wide receiver over the middle, causing the ball to come loose.
                        Linebacker Mike James made a pair of impressive tackles, one in which he wrapped Brookings' own wide receiver Chris Doblar's right leg and took him down as if he was going to earn two points in a wrestling match.
                        Steven Bazata, a prized Jackrabbit recruit from the eight-man football ranks of Nebraska, also stuffed a running play at the line of scrimmage.
                        That's the kind of afternoon it was for the defense. Everything was clicking.

There were bright spots for SDSU's offense as well. For instance, Doblar made a crafty reception in triple coverage and scampered eight yards with it upfield.
                        The mini-scrimmage featured 24 plays. Stiegelmeier said the plays focused solely on first- and second-down situations. The first- and second-string offenses and defenses each had 12 plays. . . .

So far, Stiegelmeier has been impressed with the way his team has practiced during the first week of practices.
                        "I think we are well on our way to where we want to be," he said. "I am concerned with some of the mental errors we have made."
                        But Stiegelmeier said the flaws are correctible ones — such as offsides, botched snaps between the center and quarterback and the alignment of the wide receivers.
                        The Jackrabbits are ahead of schedule in terms of installing the offense. . . .

The Jackrabbits will have a single practice on Monday and two on Tuesdays. The team will have a single practice session Friday in Sioux Falls at Howard Wood Field. . . .

I agree with RLV Eric is doing a nice job.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Another pre-season story from the Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...86&page=25

Still in preparation
                          BY ERIC X. VICCARO

College coaches need to have the pulse on their football program.
                          Monday inside a classroom at the Physical Education Center, South Dakota State University coach John Stiegelmeier spent time covering schemes with safeties. He also budgeted a meeting to examine special teams issues.
                          Stiegelmeier learned from former University of Indiana football coach Bill Mallory the need to be "in everything."
                          That's important. Especially since the Jackrabbits' season-opening game is less than one week away. SDSU will play host to the University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, the No. 9 rated NCAA Division III team in the nation according to D3football.com, Saturday at 7 p.m. at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.
                          Stiegelmeier reported one new injury Monday in an interview with the Brookings Register. He said Paul Fischer, a junior defensive end from Madison, is questionable for the game because of a high ankle sprain.
                          This week practices will be lighter because camp has been so intense.
                          "I am so proud of the team for its focus and effort physically and mentally," Stiegelmeier said. "This is the longest football camp I've ever been associated with. I think we have done a good job of keeping the guys sharp."
                          The team has reached an emotional plateau according to Stiegelmeier.
                          "We still have five more days to get ready for LaCrosse," he said. "You have to ask yourself, 'How much more prepared can we get?'"
                          Stiegelmeier said 85 percent of the offense has been installed. Fans can expect to see about 40 percent of the play package during the game. . . .

Now, it hasn't all been serious inside the Jackrabbit camp. For example, offensive lineman Nathan Koskovich won a burger-eating contest that was held at Burger King.
                          Koskovich ate six hamburgers in a span of 2 minutes, 30 seconds.
                          "He should have won, he's 6-foot-4, 280 pounds," Stiegelmeier deadpanned. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                          X