UNC falls to Western Ill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC falls to Western Ill.

The Bears gave it the old college try but came up just short.

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...090905aaa.html

Northern Colorado Comeback Falls Just Short at Western Illinois, 28-23

Bears trailed 28-7 before a furious rally ended with an interception in the endzone with 1:08 left in the game.

MACOMB, Ill. - The University of Northern Colorado football team saw its furious rally come up short as the Western Illinois University Leathernecks hung on a for a 28-23 win at Hanson Field on Thursday night.

Northern Colorado dropped to 1-1 on the season, while Western Illinois improved to 1-1. . . .

North Dakota State and South Dakota State are now the only unbeaten teams in the Great West.

Go State! ;D

Re: UNC falls to Western Ill.

This game was televised and I watched from finding it through channel flipping to the end.

After watching last year's SDSU-UNC game, UNC looks like a very good team and the Jacks are going to have a hand full when we play them.

Andy Birkel former UNL WR is catching on fast to the UNC offense and had some great catches. Running back  Wilson is a very good running back. Compared to Anthony Watson, he appears to have a smaller frame and makes up the difference with quickness, following his blocks very good.  Jager the QB seems to have pushed Christrensen out of the first team slot.  He is coming on and will probably be a very skilled qb by the time we see him.

The most impressive thing about UNC is that they were down 28-7 and did not fold.  In the second half, Western put their second string QB and he is 6-7 but a redshirt freshman with some jagged skills. The regular QB was apparently having muscle cramps and did not play much during the second half.  The change at QB may have helped UNC as started to put more points on the board.

I think UNC had their chances with 2:30 and down 28-23 and they got to within the 10 yard line and Jager, the UNC qb threw and interception. The defender from WIU seemed to know how to use is hands that have nothing to do with catching the ball.

Also there was a late hit on UNC's final drive that was totally missed by the refs.

This was a fun game to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
       Jager the QB seems to have pushed Christrensen out of the first team slot.

Christensen ran out of eligibility, luckly for UNC they found out before they let him play . . . this time. Here is a link to the thread that has the story:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1124415978

Go State! ;D

Comment

Thanks, I guess I have not retained all the posts on this board. I vaguely remember seeing the one about Christensen, but was wondering why Chrisitansen did get a few throws last night.

I happened to be nearby Greeley in late November a few years back and took in the playoff game against Central Missouri at Greeley.I believe it was the last year UNC was playing D2.

I just happen to sit besides Christiansen's grand parents and got acquainted with them.  They seemed to be very common folk.  Rules are rules though.  No doubt the grand parents will miss seeing their grandson play one more season. He played in the playoff game once the game had been put away.  He did look like their future at that time.

I remember Central Missouri too got on the board with big plays and it looked UNC was in big trouble. But as like last night, UNC hung in there and got back control.

One thing I can say about Dalton and staff is that they dont panic.  Even against SDSU last year, we had the lead for most of the game, but UNC never gave up until the last whistle.

I hope the Jacks can play according.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Also there was a late hit on UNC's final drive that was totally missed by the refs.

This was a fun game to watch.
          Thanks for the props SDSUFAN. I agree Birkel is a stud but had a couple droped passes. And yes, the refs were ridicules. I don't blame a ref for a loss, but it certainly played a roll in this game. This is a tuff loss to handle. Also, I am still pissed the coach refused to exchange game tapes so we were very unprepared and it showed the first half. SO CLOSE

Comment

uncbearfan

Exchanging tapes seems to be a courtesy that was very prominet in the NCC.  Guess what!! Valpo has refused to send SDSU a tape at least this is what Stig said in the post game interview. Maybe SDSU has less to loose by not getting the exchange than what UNC did last night.

UNC has always been a tough football oppenent since Joe Glenn took over and Kay Dalton followed as head coach.

Comment

This may be more of a crossover post, but our men's basketball program was having problems getting tapes last year, as well. Generally, I believe most of the schools don't want to give us tapes for fear of the tapes helping us get a win. Why would Marquette in basketball or Montana in football want to give us tapes when they feel they are better skilled and would have a better chance to win without giving SDSU a chance at devising a great scheme. From what I gather, getting film is not as difficult for football because both teams need to know what they're up against scheme-wise, but hardly any D1 programs gave us tape for basketball last season.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

It seems odd that teams exchange tapes at all. I always thought that it was some kind of requirement. Since it is not required, I guess I can't blame that coach for wanting to win. It doesn't seem like it should be too hard to get tape of other team's games from local TV or whatever.

Comment

Local TV feeds don't show formations or any of the other necessary information necessary for studying film. Exchanged game tapes are filmed from the end-zone and from the 50 yard line with a wide frame so all of the field is visible. Sometimes a close-up film is also shot with just line play the focus. Depends on how many cameras the school has.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                  X