• Show
Clear All

• Valpo says "no mas"

Highlights from a Chicago Post Trib story:

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pt...z1_spor_05.html

VU football to stay away from I-AA scholarship squads

Sept. 13, 2005

By Justin Breen / Post-Tribune staff writer

VALPARAISO — Valparaiso director of athletics Mark LaBarbera said the Crusaders’ football team likely will no longer play Division I-AA scholarship teams.

The decision comes after the Crusaders were blown out 69-6 at South Dakota State on Saturday. Last year, Valpo was routed at North Dakota State 54-0.

“With the conversations that (head coach Stacy Adams) and I had on Sunday and Monday, we’re really moving in the direction where we’re not going to play those kind of teams anymore,” LaBarbera said.

LaBarbera said the I-AA scholarship teams are too big, quick and talented for the Crusaders, who do not offer scholarships. He said the Crusaders were pondering placing 1-AA scholarship teams on their 2006 schedule, but LaBarbera said the two big losses have changed his mind. . . .

LaBarbera said the Crusaders (1-1) will continue to play Division II and NAIA scholarship teams. He said the payment made by South Dakota State did cover VU’s expenses, but barely.

“We are getting money, but it’s not enough,” LaBarbera said.

Go State! ;D

Re: Valpo says "no mas"

The NCAA has a bit of a glitch in their class structure I would say. There is no way they should hold the "DI-AA" title.

Comment

There should only be one division that plays non-scholarship football. It's III. Those I-AA schools which don't want to offer scholarships should either drop to III or drop their football programs altogether. Of course, the power brokers from the Ivy schools won't let that happen, will they?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The current non-scholarship D1AA was once called D1AAA after D3 put up a fuss about U of Dayton, who happens to play in the Valpo's Pioneer League won the D3 title maybe two or three times in the 1970's and maybe early 1980's. I think in 1977, SDSU played U of Dayton, who at that time just announced they were dropping scholarship football. When the Jacks played Dayton, they still had about 2 or 3 classes still on scholarship, and we did not win that game. If we played DU now we would have a Valpo repeat. I would rather play the DU Flyers in BB.

It was as I stated the D3 people who said they did not want Georgetown, Villinovia, Dayton, Drake and Valpo competing for a D3 national championship.

Apparently, the Non scholarship D1AA could compete for a D1AA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, but its like saying you can win the Power Ball lottery worth 150 million, but the odds are very small that you will win said lottery. So it goes with the Non Scholarship D1AA members. They are in between a rock and a hard place.

Comment

Working...
        X