Jackrabbits in top half of I-AA attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbits in top half of I-AA attendance

It was good to see that the attendance numbers went up for the Valpo game. Hopefully that trend will continue as we head into conference play when Cal-Poly comes to Brookings for the Beef Bowl (I would love to see over 10,000 for this game). Here is a link to this week's NCAA I-AA attendance report:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/...NDANCEIAA.HTML

Go State! ;D

Re: Jackrabbits in top half of I-AA attendance

I hope this is the last game we see under the 9,000 attendence figure for the remainder of this year. The only games in doubt may be Southern Utah and UNC in November. I guess when you look at the numbers from other schools we are doing ok. It's just a high standard if we are attempting to put up similar numers as NDSU which I think should be the goal. I think with the number of home games this year it will be difficult to exceed last years home game attendence average. I look for the Cal Poly,UC Davis,Missouri Rolla (Hobo Day) and Georgia Southern to be big crowds.      

Comment

I think some of the attendance or lack of....might have to do with the big high school games in S.F. (Dakota Bowl 10,000 & Presidents Bowl 15,000)...Maybe if home games continue to fall on these dates, SDSU might consider playing on a Thursday night, i.e NDSU 1st home game.  Just a thought!

I agree, crowds will get bigger until the weather gets cold.

Comment

There is no doubt that the HS double headers take some fans away from the Jackrabbits, but I would never take Sioux Falls HS schedules into considertation when putting together ours.  I will say, that I think playing the Thursday before Labor Day was a good move by NDSU as it allowed their fans to go to the game (It wouldn't help those of us that come from far away) and still head out of town for the long weekend.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Or scheduling better teams to play would help as well. I can understand one lower level to start off, but three in one year is way too much.

I do understand that it likely has to do with the recent move to DIAA.

Comment

I would not be in favor of a Thursday game. Personal reasons only.....our travel time and work schedules would not match up well.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

12,000 plus for the Cal-Poly game will help everyone forget 5.7K and 7.5K for the first 2 games.

No change to current tailgate policy needed. Keep the law enforcement/security figures prominent and come down hard on offenders. Don't let a few bad eggs spoil a good thing that has been a long time coming.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how many fill Howard Wood Field for the Cal Davis game. I would hope we can put 10,000 fans+ in the seats if the game is promoted the right away. I'm not sure how much the special event games in Sioux Falls ie. Dakota Bowl and President's Bowl have on attendence at SDSU home games. I do know a lot of area sports fans with no affiliation to the competing schools attend the games as the scope of the entertaiment is not limited to football. These are some of the same fans we need to have take in the game on October 8th to experience Jacks football and eventually get them to make the drive to Sioux Falls. I think the people involved with promoting SDSU athletics can take a page from what has worked to make the Presidents Bowl and Dakota Bowl a major event in the Sioux Falls Market and apply that towards future SDSU events in Sioux Falls and Brookings .

Comment

I actually expect more to be at the Davis game than the Poly game. To give a guess now, I'd say around 10k for Poly and 12k for Davis. "IF" they start promoting the SF game a few weeks out to let everyone in the area know about it.

The outcome in Montana may affect the Poly game. A close game or Jacks win would really help out.

Comment

I always thought the capacity at Howard Wood was 10,000, but thought I heard some numbers exceeding that at one of the Bowls last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                      Or scheduling better teams to play would help as well.  I can understand one lower level to start off, but three in one year is way too much.  

I do understand that it likely has to do with the recent move to DIAA.
                      I would hope we will never schedule another non scholarship 1AA team unless its the last straw to fill a schedule. I think this years choices, of UW-Lacrosse,Mo-Rolla and Valpo, they all had open dates and we could not get on other better opponents schedules.  This is part of the transition phase. We need to win games against good opponents and then who we play will really count.
                      I really think winning is a big key to putting butts in the seats.  Also the ag promotions continue to help bring in people who might not otherwise be part of an SDSU athletic event.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                        I always thought the capacity at Howard Wood was 10,000, but thought I heard some numbers exceeding that at one of the Bowls last few weeks.
                        JACKYGUYII,

I too believe that Howard Wood seats 10,000.  The Dakota Bowl was reported earlier in this thread to have been in the 10,000 range and the Presidents Bowl is a double header so although they may have 15,000 go through the turnstiles you won't have 15,000 in the stands for either game.  At least that is my understanding, although my knowledge of Sioux Falls High School football is limited to knowing who are the good teams and players.  Mike_H seems to be dialed in on the HS scene, perhaps he could give us the low down on these "Bowl" Games and the Cap. of Howard Wood Field.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I would imagine extra seating would be provided to prevent a 10,000 capacity limit. Similar to what happens at Coughlin.

Comment

Always pleasing to read about the fans eagerly supporting their college teams. For us, it's been a very large part of what's happened here for the last 10 years. And, with 4,000 - 6,000 fans traveling to every away game, it's mobile support which the players consistently report is incredibly meaningful. Check us out: http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72014

Comment

Working...
                            X