Tailgate story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate story

Here is a link to an Argus story on tailgating at area Colleges and High Schools.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...509100335/1001

Overall a good piece although it is tough to talk about High School and College tailgating all in the same story if you ask me.  Different issues because of the age of the students involved.  As I said on another thread, I personally had no problem with the new rules in the "Backyard" and I think the University is doing a nice job of maintaing control while allowing fun.

Go State!  ;D

Re: Tailgate story

I have never been to the "Backyard" for tailgating, but I have talked with some who are a little concerned that the "Backyard" even with this years tailgating guidelines has the potential to get out of hand especially with the students. The reason for the concern is that students maybe fans in general are staying in the tailgating area after kickoff and not stopping the outdoor party and attending the game. This was coming from the Valpo game. I have also talked to students who say they to tailgate and then go home without going to the game. I feel this has the potential for some big problems for SDSU and community.

I am not sure the policy regarding tailgating during the game and halftime so someone may be able to explain this better. I am guessing the SDSU is allowing people to tailgate through the game and maybe leaving at halftime to "recharge for the second half" and as long as everbody has left within an hour after the game has finished.

I feel SDSU should not allow an outdoor party for students and fans during the game. Too me, tailgating should be limited to before the game and after the game with few exceptions.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I know I am going to sound like some old grouch, but I too saw a number of people still partying when I left with 10 minutes to go in the fourth. I usually dont leave early.

If you can't get off your rear to have your ticket stub removed and to watch the game, then something in these peoples lives is more important than the game.
      Why exactly did they come to the campus to begin with? Do they also have designated drivers? I think these are two serious questions that need to be answered or else we are soon creating more news for the Argus Leader and all our friends at USED( University of South Eastern Dakota.)

Comment

It seems completely unrealistic to have tailgating without having the unwanted negatives that go along with it. That's just the nature of the beast. It's not a situation that only SDSU has to deal with. If SDSU wants to create a tailgating atmosphere (which I think is an OUTSTANDING idea - IT'S FOOTBALL - we need tailgating) then they, and the rest of us, are going to have to deal with the few people who have too much to drink and make idiots of themselves. SDSU just has to make sure they have enough security to ensure the idiots don't ruin for the rest of the fans.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Everyone needs to keep in mind that SDSU did not invent tailgating the University has many, many examples of how it is done and how it is done right to model ourselves after.  To be honest SDSU is late to the "tailgate party" so this is not uncharted waters.  

I think SDSU is doing a fine job of controlling the atmosphere while allowing the "Backyard" to still be fun.  I was not at the Valpo game but during the Wisconsin-La Croose game I saw many uniformed police officers and talked to some students who's IDs were checked.

Don't get me wrong I know that some of the folks in the "Backyard" have no intentions of going to the game and that is a little sad as I think they are missing the point and some great football, but this is America and they have a right to pursue happiness.  This again (fans who only show up to tailgate) happens everywhere football is played and I am not sure you can or should try to force those people to attend.

I don't think SDSU needs to try to reinvent the wheel here.  I know the adminsistrations has looked at how other schools tailgate and the rules that they use and has worked hard to make the "Backyard" a place where fans can have fun in a safe and friendly way.  I applaud their efforts with the new rules, I think it is a very proactive approach so that  tailgating in the "Backyard" can be part of the SDSU Football experience.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I am not against tailgating and yes I understand its been going on for a long time.  I do agree security and control are the keys for SDSU avoiding anymore bad publicity.  This bad publicity is what I dont want to happen as a result of individuals and alchohol or any other illegal drug.

Tailgate and enjoy, but keep the SDSU image in mind when you do. ;D Thats my sermon for today.

Comment

Tailgate and enjoy, but keep the SDSU image in mind when you do.

As my high school football coach always said: They don't know who you are but they know where you are from.

Comment

Spoke to my brother last night in preparation for opening of duck season. He attended the tailgate at the Valpo game and said it was grand. They were there by 2:00 and reported that most of the good first-come, first-serve spots were occupied that early.

Looking forward to the "backyard" and a Cal-Poly whipping in less than 10 days.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  Spoke to my brother last night in preparation for opening of duck season.  He attended the tailgate at the Valpo game and said it was grand.  They were there by 2:00 and reported that most of the good first-come, first-serve spots were occupied that early.

Looking forward to the "backyard" and a Cal-Poly whipping in less than 10 days.
                  Doc,

Texas_Jacks_Fan and I will be in the "backyard" for that one as well, we will have to make sure we run into each other. Should be a good one to kick off conference play.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I'll be there too!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                      I don't think SDSU needs to try to reinvent the wheel here.  I know the adminsistrations has looked at how other schools tailgate and the rules that they use and has worked hard to make the "Backyard" a place where fans can have fun in a safe and friendly way.  I applaud their efforts with the new rules, I think it is a very proactive approach so that  tailgating in the "Backyard" can be part of the SDSU Football experience.

Go State!  ;D
                      I will be at this years Beef Bowl and will see first hand the fabled "Backyard". I will enjoy the activities before the game and will also attend the game. My main concern with the Backyard is with the students and fans that do not go to the game or linger there after the game has started. I do not think this a situation that SDSU should allow and they need to strongly consider closing the tailgating area during the game and then reopening it after the game if need be. My experiences with CSU and their policies for tailgating have been emulated by others schools in the Big Ten, (Michigan for example), the MAC, Conference USA and the Big 12 as well as schools in their own Mountain West Conference. CSU utilizes a student group "Positive Impact" that strictly police the student tailgate areas. They are basically a buffer between the students and the police. They close the student tailgate areas 30 minutes before the game starts to get the students to go to the game. They also make sure the students do not exceed the limit for they tailgate area which I belive is 50 per group. All groups have to reserve a spot. They make sure students are drinking out of cups and I think they will provide them if necessary. THis group also polices the student side bathrooms, seating areas and concession areas. They are on radios with the Police Comand post (5th level of the stadium) so they can immediately act and have backup from CSC or the police officers in the stadium and on the parking lot. They do this to be as proactive as possible. They are especially concerned with the students for night games with students drinking all day. and because their parking area is a huge field (not sure how many acres) that surround the stadium. They want to gather the students and fans inside the stadium where they can be controlled better and to gives the students a place to sober up even though they do sell beer in the stadium for the first half. One of the main concerns is students and fans passing out and getting run over when fans start leaving. I do not believe the Backyard has lighting and I would suspect there is some visability issues when leaving night games. My hope is to inform the general public that their is some real concerns here and SDSU could benefit by relooking at the issue.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town

I will be at this years Beef Bowl and will see first hand the fabled "Backyard".  I will enjoy the activities before the game and will also attend the game.  My main concern with the Backyard is with the students and fans that do not go to the game or linger there after the game has started.  I do not think this a situation that SDSU should allow and they need to strongly consider closing the tailgating area during the game and then reopening it after the game if need be.  My experiences with CSU and their policies for tailgating have been emulated by others schools in the Big Ten, (Michigan for example), the MAC, Conference USA and the Big 12 as well as schools in their own Mountain West Conference.  CSU utilizes a student group "Positive Impact" that strictly police the student tailgate areas.  They are basically a buffer between the students and the police.  They close the student tailgate areas 30 minutes before the game starts to get the students to go to the game.  They also make sure the students do not exceed the limit for they tailgate area which I belive is 50 per group.  All groups have to reserve a spot.  They make sure students are drinking out of cups and I think they will provide them if necessary.  THis group also polices the student side bathrooms, seating areas and concession areas.  They are on radios with the Police Comand post (5th level of the stadium) so they can immediately act and have backup from CSC or the police officers in the stadium and on the parking lot.  They do this to be as proactive as possible.  They are especially concerned with the students for night games with students drinking all day. and because their parking area is a huge field (not sure how many acres) that surround the stadium.  They want to gather the students and fans inside the stadium where they can be controlled better and to gives the students a place to sober up even though they do sell beer in the stadium for the first half.  One of the main concerns is students and fans passing out and getting run over when fans start leaving.  I do not believe the Backyard has lighting and I would suspect there is some visability issues when leaving night games.  My hope is to inform the general public that their is some real concerns here  and SDSU could benefit by relooking at the issue.
                        D-town:
                        I could not agree more with your observations about tailgating at CSU. I do hope the adminstration is paying attention. Even though I don't care too much about tailgating, I really think that SDSU should create a wholesome atomsphere on Game Day for those who can sanely tailgate, take in the game and just have a good time. This is part of connecting with past, present and future students.

It really makes for bad publicty whenever a bad incident occurs. We ought not forget our incident on 9th ave in the year 1990. It tooks years for people to stop prattling about that affair. This is the only reason I am concerned and hope this aspect of SDSU activties will continue to be positive.

Comment

Working...
                        X