No announcement yet.

Argus Story 9/17/2005 (SDSU vs Montana)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Story 9/17/2005 (SDSU vs Montana)

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...27/1002/SPORTS

Jacks in for a 'tough battle'
    SDSU's potent offense will be tested against Montana

CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 09/17/05

MISSOULA, Mont. - As the South Dakota State football team took the field for their usual pregame walk-through at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Friday, the Jackrabbits focused on playing a perfect game.

To defeat Montana, the fourth-ranked team in Division I-AA, SDSU needs the type of precision it displayed not only against the invisible opponent on Friday, but also the kind it flexed in its first two games of the season.

The 2-0 Jackrabbits take on Montana at 2:05 p.m. today in front of an anticipated crowd of about 23,000 screaming Grizzlies fans.

"I expect it to be a battle, a tough battle," said Coach John Stiegelmeier, who watched his Jacks outscore Wisconsin-LaCrosse and Valparaiso by a combined score of 111-19 in the first two contests. "I would take a 35-7 game and go home smiling, but I don't think that's what will happen."

That's because the Grizzlies, runners-up in I-AA last year to champion James Madison, have plenty of experience and a game against I-A Oregon last week.

Montana found out how much difference there is between the Big Sky and the Pac-10. The Ducks dominated almost every facet of their 47-14 victory over the Grizzlies, with Oregon more than doubling Montana's number of total yards (426 to 144) and injuring a few key players.

Grizzlies starting linebacker Loren Utterback is expected to miss the game, and Montana had two or three other players who were nicked up against Oregon.

"There were some good things in that game, but it's hard to talk about them when you get beat that badly," Montana coach Bobby Hauck said.

That's kind of how Valparaiso felt after getting drilled 69-6 by the Jackrabbits last week in Brookings. SDSU reached the 300-yard rushing plateau for the second straight time to start the year, rolling up 550 yards of total offense and another 119 yards of all-purpose yards.

The Jacks' offense is averaging 527.5 yards of offense a game, while Montana's allows 275.5 per contest. SDSU's defense has yielded just 29.5 yards per game on the ground.

"They've got the ability to create chaos with their offensive play," Hauck said of the Jackrabbits. "And on defense, they can just flat out shut people down."

Junior running back Anthony Watson, who played just one quarter, had another 100-yard rushing game, getting 114 yards and scoring twice. He now has 297 yards on 23 carries, putting his astounding 12.9 yards-per-carry ratio on the line against a Grizzlies defense that did manage to contain Oregon's ground game.

"I think it starts with our offense against their defense," Stiegelmeier said. "I think they have a great defense, and we have an excellent game plan. That will be one of the defining matches in the game."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Working...
X