Scholarships a hefty advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarships a hefty advantage

Besides a good write-up of the game, Chris Solari of the Argus gave us a update on scholarships in a seperate article.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...509180328/1002

Scholarships a hefty advantage
    CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

September 18, 2005
    MISSOULA, Mont. - Of all the advantages the Montana Grizzlies football team has over South Dakota State - from a high-tech stadium with 23,000 rabid fans to a statewide TV broadcast of their games - the most important isn't visible to the eye.

Unless you're a player looking at your tuition bill.

The Grizzlies offer 63 scholarships, the maximum number allowed in Division I-AA football. SDSU, at 42 and a fraction this season, is slowly building toward 63 after leaving Division II and its rule of 36.

A team's scholarship number has a huge effect on team depth and talented skill players. And it can also affect a team off the field by limiting a school's access to big-money games against larger universities.

SDSU finds itself behind regional rival North Dakota State in football scholarships. NDSU, starting its second year in I-AA just like SDSU, upped its scholarships to 63 this fall and was ranked No. 12 in the nation before this weekend.

The Jacks plan to reach 63 scholarships in 2008 when they are first eligible for the I-AA playoffs.

Jackrabbit coach John Stiegelmeier said if he were to recruit 20 new players, he might not have the available scholarship dollars to keep the top echelon of that group from going elsewhere.

"It's a math problem, really," Stiegelmeier said.

Ralph Wallace, who runs the Web site www.i-aa.org, estimates about half of the I-AA programs aren't fully funded with 63 scholarships.

"We saw a team like Wofford go all the way to the (NCAA) semis when they had 13 less scholarships," Wallace said. "It's hard to measure what effect it has on a squad. You can't say that if you don't have as many equivalencies, then you're not as good."

A little more than a week ago, SDSU played Valparaiso and witnessed the schism that exists in I-AA. The Crusaders do not offer scholarships, a philosophy of the schools in the Pioneer Football League, and the Jackrabbits buried then 69-6. Two days later, Valparaiso athletic director Mark LaBarbera announced his school will no longer schedule teams that offer scholarships.

In I-AA programs, a school can give partial scholarships, spread ing out their 63 scholarships to 85 different players.

Stiegelmeier has funneled some of his added scholarship money toward upperclassmen who were recruited to play in Division II as a reward for moving up the depth chart and a boost for team morale.

"We're going to take care of the guys who are now Division I football players for us who came in on lesser scholarship money," said Luke Meadows, SDSU's recruiting coordinator. "The thing that I have a problem with is that last year, we signed four offensive linemen. There may be two or three of them who are on more scholarship money than the starters. That's hard."

Knowing they have less money to offer than many of their new opponents, Jackrabbit coaches look specifically for attitude, speed and athletic ability. But Meadows also said he looks for players who have a passion for football, but might be a little lacking in some of the tangibles like height or quickness.

"Last year, the place we saw (scholarship disparity) was in the skill positions," Meadows said. "We matched up pretty well size-wise with teams up front. The place where we were a little bit mismatched is that their defensive ends are a little bit faster and bigger."

Since football is a numbers game, offering the full 63 can significantly improve a team's depth. That's one reason North Dakota State upped their equivalencies to 60 last year and 63 this season.

"If we don't have more scholarships, there are some other big schools who can throw a scholarship at a guy," Meadows said. "They can say if it doesn't work out, we've got 63 scholarships and it doesn't matter. We can make that up.

"For us, if we take a chance on a guy who doesn't pan out, it almost eats up two scholarships because we're that much further down the road."

The other reason for NDSU's decision to go to 63 so quickly is a return on their investment.

Scholarship levels are currently tied to a I-AA team being able to schedule a major Division I-A school. It often means a six-figure payday for the I-AA school to visit the big-time opponent as a sacrificial lamb, and the Bison have openly expressed their desire to schedule a game with the Minnesota Gophers.

For the I-A schools to count a victory over a I-AA team toward their BCS rankings and bowl eligibility, the I-AA opponent must average 60 scholarships for two years. Montana, for example, played Oregon from the Pac-10 last week, losing 47-14

I-A schools can offer a maximum of 85 full scholarships, and they cannot be divided among players.

For now, SDSU coaches try to keep players focused on their opponents' talents rather than their funding.

"On paper, we're much closer to Division II than we are to the Division I level we are going to be at," Stiegelmeier said. "Mentally, I don't think our players think about that ever. I don't think we ever think we're undermanned or 'I would be a better player if I had a bigger scholarship.'"

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Working...
X