Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana

It is time for the Jackrabbits to tighten the chin straps, because the Griz are next. Montana is ranked as high as #1 in some polls (#1 in the same poll that has SDSU ranked #19 - a clash of two Top 20 teams according to Don Hansen's Football Gazette) and are coming off of a year in which they played in the I-AA championship game. They did get beat up by Oregon this weekend, but give them credit they went and played at a PAC 10 school. Their stadium is huge and their fans are fired up. This will be the Jackrabbits first real test of the season. All that being said I think our Jackrabbits can beat them if we control the tempo of the game with our running attack, avoid mistakes, stay healthy, and don't let the big crowd get to us. Good luck Rabbits!

Go State! ;D

Re: Montana

Any of you Rabbit fans going to make it over to enjoy some Grizzly hospitality? Should be a packed house. However, don't count on us being as accomidating as we were to NDSU. We're licking our wounds.

Griz kinda got it handed to them by OR. While the score doesn't indicate it, the defense played an oustanding game. Forced the Ducks into 6 field goals, and under 100 yards rushing. The offense on the other hand is the big question. Lex Hillard, didn't have alot of yards against the Ducks, but did have a few good runs. As for QB, many Griz faithfull are hoping that our RS Freshman Cole Berquist gets a shot at QB.

Welcome to Griz Country!

Comment

Welcome to the board RockyMtnGriz, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Running the ball (as in every game) is going to be KEY here. If we can establish any running game against Montana, we have a chance. If we end up with somewhere around 50 yards rushing, we're done.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

RockyMtnGriz,

I'll be making the trip, hope to enjoy that Griz hospitality and hope you can enjoy ours in the near future. Hope for a good game

Go Jacks !!!!!!
          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I'm stuck in the hospital. Only get one weekend off this month and with opening duck and Cal-Poly in Brookings on the 24th I had to take that one.

Hopefully I'll have rounds taken care of in time to listen to the webcast. Ground game will be key (as it will in all of our games this year). I suspect Kordoes will be encouraged to "expand" the pocket.

Rush defense needs to continue to improve and D-coordinators need to take out all the stops, run stunts, be aggressive, get some pressure on their QB. I'd like to see Watson get 25+ carries and Koenig and crew to follow with 15 more. Maybe even get JeRon the ball on the ground.

We will need a great kicking game and kick coverage team as well as win the turnover game to come out of Montana with a W.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What is the link to the Griz message board?

Comment

JACKGUYII      

Link is www.eGriz.com

Go Jacks  !!!!!
                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

This will get you straight to the Griz board:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/index.php

Go State! ;D

Comment

One thing that surprised me as I looked at the Montana roster is the number of Montana guys on the roster (51). For A school that is annually a top team in DIAA and in a state with less population than South Dakota this is impressive.

Comment

How about an overview of your squad and first two games this year?

Comment

Is your game televised anywhere? I would hope so.

Comment

The verdict is still out on our offense. Scoring 55 on Fort Lewis means about as much as our inability to move the ball against Oregon. So this will be our first real test in all facets of the game. I honestly expected us to be able to get something going on the ground, but it did not materialize. The Ducks front 4 is unreal and so it will be good to gauge ourselves against SDSU who is comparable to us in terms of being a I-AA school. We are also still unsettled at QB and I think you will see both. Our starter has not looked great in terms of accuracy and dances in the pocket (not in a good way). Has not shown great touch on the ball, either throwing rockets or hanging them in the air too long. He can throw the deep route, I think, but we will probably find out more on Saturday.

Our defense looks to be strong. We defended the run unbelievably well against UO (top rusher had less than 40 yards). They were able to throw the ball, but we made some good defensive stands when the Ducks were given great field position and we held them to a FG. Also made a 4 down stand inside the 4 yard line. And we forced a turnover which led to our first touchdown.

I have serious questions about our punter after the Oregon game. The kicks were SHORT. The coverage was alright except for the opening kickoff which they took back for a TD. Couple that with the placekicks and I'd give it a C. Again, I-AA competition will tell us more.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                            Running the ball (as in every game) is going to be KEY here.  If we can establish any running game against Montana, we have a chance.  If we end up with somewhere around 50 yards rushing, we're done.
                            Montana's strong point will be stuffing the run. Not going to be able to score many on this defense when they are playing in Missoula. Montana does not have the proven receivers that they have had for the last ten years. Montana has not figured out how to use their strength on offense which is running the ball because in the past the pass set up the run. Montana will depend on special teams and the run to score. At home the defense should be able get enough field position to allow for some good runs and an occasional throw to score more than Zero that the D will allow. Montana is way overated based on their balance for the last ten years and the pollsters do not know that Montana does not have enough of a passing game to be rated #1. Rabbit running game will go along way to keep it interesting but the Montana D looks like the the # 1 D at this point in the season. Turnovers could be ugly for rabbits in Missoula which would not be a surprize.

Comment

On Montana's Athletic Web site they have football media streams from the head coach and from the players. As of now, it has not been updated to include discussion on SDSU, but I thought I would post it ahead of time because I think it is after a Tuesday press conference. It also have recruit highlight video's on it which I thought was cool.

Here is the link: http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgr...=All&-find
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X