Adam Vinatieri "Mr. Clutch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Vinatieri "Mr. Clutch"

The Argus had a reprint of a story from back east on Adam. Good piece and as usual SDSU gets a little ink.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...509270329/1002

From now on, call clutch plays 'Vinatieris'
    IAN O'CONNOR
    The (Westchester, N.Y.) Journal News

Published: 09/27/05

Michael Jordan should rest easy in retirement: He has secured his standing as the Adam Vinatieri of two-guards. Maybe Jordan will realize that in the not-too-distant future, when all he-man virtues assigned to professional athletes no longer elude those who put the foot back in football. . . . (read more)

Go State! ;D

Re: Adam Vinatieri "Mr. Clutch"

Driving home, I heard Dan Patrick talking about Vinatieri. #6(so far - 14 total) in winning field goals within 2:00. Behind the likes of Pete Stoyanovich and Morten Anderson.

Comment

It's interesting, Coach Mike Daly wouldn't let Adam kick extra points in his senior season. Jim Remme ... a defensive lineman kicked the extra points. Think about it, the premier kicker in the NFL wasn't allowed to kick PAT's for SDSU in his last year. Kind of tells you about Adam's resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
        It's interesting, Coach Mike Daly wouldn't let Adam kick extra points in his senior season.  Jim Remme ... a defensive lineman kicked the extra points.  Think about it, the premier kicker in the NFL wasn't allowed to kick PAT's for SDSU in his last year.  Kind of tells you about Adam's resolve.
        I'm not sure I follow this comment. But Adam continues to look good in the tough games. Watching the Pats/Steelers game, it's like I knew what was coming.

Also, I'm surprised to not see more reaction to Parker Douglass and his 52 yard FG which matched Vinnie's record.

Comment

Actually Parker tied Brett Gorden's (1998 ) school record for Longest Field Goal at 52 yards.  Adam's longest was a 51 yarder (he did that twice) per the SDSU Media Guide.  Still Kudos to Parker for tying the school record, I think there is a feeling of inevitability when it comes to Parker and the distance record and that may explain why it seems that no one has gotten too excited about him just tying it.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

The funny thing is, I don't think anyone in the crowd was aware that it was that long. With those crazy penalties and time ticking down it distracted from the feat.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              Actually Parker tied Brett Gorden's (1998 ) school record for Longest Field Goal at 52 yards.  Adam's longest was a 51 yarder (he did that twice) per the SDSU Media Guide.  Still Kudos to Parker for tying the school record, I think there is a feeling of inevitability when it comes to Parker and the distance record and that may explain why it seems that no one has gotten too excited about him just tying it.

Go State!  ;D
              Its sad to say, but now that you mention it, I realize thats how I felt when he kicked. I noticed once they walked off the penalty that it was going to be over 50 yards, but after seeing Douglas kick the last two seasons, I didn't doubt that he would make it. He had plenty of leg on both the 52 yarder he made, as well as the 48 "i believe" yarder he tried earlier. I think he will own this record by himself before the season is over.

We've been spoiled by both of our kickers, and have special teams players that would make most teams green with envy, just ask Cal Davis.

Way to go guys, and Congratulations Parker!

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                It's interesting, Coach Mike Daly wouldn't let Adam kick extra points in his senior season. Jim Remme ... a defensive lineman kicked the extra points. Think about it, the premier kicker in the NFL wasn't allowed to kick PAT's for SDSU in his last year. Kind of tells you about Adam's resolve.

Originally posted by Jacks99
                I'm not sure I follow this comment.
                To clarify, Adam pulled double duty - punter and kicker. Doing both took away from his kicking success and therefore Coach Daly had Jim Remme don the square toed kicking shoe and kick extra points for a period during the season. Adam hated doing double duty as it limited his success as a place kicker, but the fact was he was the best punter on the roster and therefore was needed to do both.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll

To clarify, Adam pulled double duty - punter and kicker. Doing both took away from his kicking success and therefore Coach Daly had Jim Remme don the square toed kicking shoe and kick extra points for a period during the season. Adam hated doing double duty as it limited his success as a place kicker, but the fact was he was the best punter on the roster and therefore was needed to do both.
                  Thanks for the clarification. It all makes sense now...

Comment

When I remember watching him practice, I remember his booming punts more more vividly than I remember his field goal kicks. He could absolutely destroy some punts. Coming from the world of 30 yard high school punts, his punts were a huge eye opener.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

If I recall during that season, Adam had a couple of games where he couldn't catch a break (I think he had a 50+ kick hit the crossbar and bounce back against Mankato) and may have lost a little confidence in the field goal kicking. It also was affecting his punting a little and a decision was made to let Remme kick for a game or two so Adam could concentrate more on his punting. He was one heck of a kicker, but I always thought his punting was more impressive because he had the distance and the hang time which allowed the coverage to get downfield.

Comment

Working...
                      X