Jacks offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks offense

I wanted to start by pointing out that out of respect for individual athletes, I have changed my username from "antikardoes" to reflect that this is not a personal agenda or attack. Andy appears to be a great athlete, just maybe a poor position for him to play with his skills. (Namely, lack of efficient passing ability, another very poor completion percentage last week of 37.5%)
    I did not see the game but tried to follow it as I could on wnax radio broadcast. I want the Jacks to play to their full potential I had said before that when we met a team with a worthy defense that could stop our running game that we would absolutely have no chance to beat them with the pass on the accuracy of his arm, and I think that was shown last week. Why not utilize Andy in a diffent position, be it wr, or db perhaps? We need to have a QB with a full package of ablilities to be contenders on the D1 level. Our team looks really good in some respects, but if it does not translate into wins, does it matter?
    I will be at the game tonight, GO BIG! GO BLUE! GO JACKS! Let's make a LOT of noise to support them and hope we see vast improvements offensively, and continue the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. LET"S MAKE A STATEMENT, JACKS ! :-/

Re: Jacks offense

Your name change is a good start.

I'm going to reserve my comments until after the game.

Comment

kardoes is ok.he looked a little hurt but hung in there.my question is this last year when nelson got his bell rung they put in kardoes . it made a difference to the opposition . they werent ready to defend against the offense of a running quarterback. so why is stig not trying the same this year .launch a few long ones with different quarterback.make the defense guess whats coming next.im not saying get rid of kardoes just mix it up more use others use their abilities.then kardoes wont have to play hurt. are the other quarterbacks that bad that they dont dare to use them? BEWARE OF THE HARE.

Comment

Why not mix it up? Andy is obviously a gifted athlete and he can be a real threat to other teams, but let's use him where he is strongest--on the move. Everyone agrees he's not a pocket passer, or at least he hasn't proven it. There are other ways to get him involved besides quarterback, and you can still use his arm. We need some one under center who can make sound decisions and accurate throws. It's seems the Jacks have been beaten twice on their inability to make a big play in the passing game. Granted, against Cal Poly getting down 14-0 doesn't help, but hitting even one of those open guys down field--it's a differnt story.

Comment

I'll say here what I said before on another thread. The coaches had no problem replacing Watson with Koenig because they obviously thought he gave them the best chance to win. If they felt the same about Burkhardt or Berry I'm sure they would do the same.

Comment

The armchair quarterbacks are really coming out of the woods now!!
            That's OK, but it would be good if they considered some of the facts:
            1) Andy Kardoes was recruited before we even had an idea we would go D-1. We graduated a great quarterback last year. I agree with the earlier post that noted if the coaches felt a better quarterback was lurking on the bench, they would make the switch in a heartbeat.
            2) Have any of you considered that we just finished playing the #4 ranked D-1AA team in the nation on their home field against a university that has been D1 for decades and has the full package built up. Or that we just played the #12 ranked team against a school that has been D-1 for a decade and recruits in a heavily-populated area where a lot of D-1 qualified players can fly under the radar and be picked up by a Cal-Poly (Chris Gogong is certainly one of them!!!!)
            3) Have you considered that the speed of their d-backs has something to do with how easy it is to find a target and complete a pass. Or that the speed of their line can put more pressure on a passing game.
            4) Sure we need to recruit speed, but do you expect miracles overnight. We're a 36-scholarship school two years ago, and 38 last year...and while by the looks of a lot of the younger players that are seeing a lot of time are a step-up...catching up with established programs is not an overnight accomplishment.
            Finally, not wishing to load up the Maverick lurker/smack talkers, do remember Jack fans, that indeed we haven't won a conference title in 42 years in DII or D1, and let's not expect a quantum jump in the period we have had so far!!!
            So get used to it folks. We've got to use the personnel we have. I think the new coaches we have hired are a definite step up (but, yes, Karl Ballard was a great coach) overall, but there new to the players and the system and that too will get better.
            Andy Kardoes is the starting quarterback until the coaches decide otherwise.
            I have laughed over a number of the posts that talk about how we should be beating up on these teams. The Hansen poll called it 20-10 for Cal Poly and I wasn't sure that was a tad generous to us. As it was, we go three and out, get a really bad punt from a good player who had an outstanding game against Montana and start them on the 30-yard line. There speed caught our d-backs looking and bingo, its 14-0. From that point on, we outscored them 16-10. Not a bad recovery from a horrible start.
            GO JACKS!!! JacksFan1

Comment

Plenty of chances for a big pass play downfield. Several close plays, just misses.

Andy can do a better job, I'm sure of that. I was impressed with his short passes, nice zip on the ball. His downfield throws were a little flat which makes for a tough over the shoulder catch. I think he will continue to improve.

Close but just not quite there. I'm afraid this will be a recurring theme this year. I hope the Jacks prove me wrong.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

hey i will admit i am spoiled. watching cal-poly throw the bombs reminded me of last year.  i do miss when our offense was throwing the bombs and davis and johnson were in the endzone.      YES i do realize we have a different style of play this year. I may need medication or treatment but i will deal with it. I guess when we played the first 2 games this year they mixed it up more .long pass plays happened from kardoes(33) burckhardt(50)   berry(23) JOSH DAVIS THE MAN(76)  yes i know with davis its not the norm to have him pass but dang that felt good.  I did come away from the first two games feeling we might throw long more than we do now. so i am dissapointed but life goes on .......BEWARE OF THE HARE.....

Comment

Take a look at Nelson's QB stats from our last year in DII to our first year in D1AA. I think we can all agree that Nelson was one of the better if not best QB's the school's ever had play under center. He has unbelievable numbers, but mainly when playing against DII talent. His numbers against D1AA talent was sometimes significantly worse than that against DII talent (as would be expected). As has been pointed out, the D1AA speed is simply more intense than DII. Add to that the quality of D1AA schools we've played and you can understand a learning curve will be present. Also, this year's QB was sparingly used last season and then usually as a running QB. He has played 4 games under center as the starting Jacks QB. Not saying he is or isn't the answer. Just, that we should maybe hold judgment for a little longer. Hell, if Stig had passed a final judgment on me after my first four games as a starter, I may have never got off the bench.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I can admit there was improvement in our short passing, but was there a single completion where the ball was in the air for longer than 15 yards (generously speaking)? It is not the speed issues that bother me, the jacks will get more adjusted to that as time goes on. The thing that worries me is that there has not been one deep pass, especially out routes, that has even been close to on-target... not even close. And make no mistake, there have been receivers open/with a step on the defenders many of those occasions. I will be ok with watching for improvement, but am VERY skeptical.
                    Also, as for just going D1, don't forget that as a program we have been mired in mediocrity at best for as long as I can remember...are we content with that prospect in the future in D1 as well? Let's hope that we are not and that we see steady improvement in the next games and next couple of years, or be ready to make some deeper changes!

Comment

As one of the several players on this board who played when we were "mired in mediocrity" I take umbrage to your comment that we were ever content with that. That is a slap in the face of every player and/or coach who ever spent more hours than most people ever realize trying to win a 2 1/2 hour football game for 11 Saturday's out of the year. Even when we were mired in mediocrity, we were never content. Not one player or Coach. Ever. I don't know anyone who is. However, throwing our QB under the bus after 4 games does more harm than good if you're truly interested in getting out of mediocrity.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Amen, MJA.

As another who played back in the Stone Age of D2, I grow very tired of the D2 bashing/mediocrity garbage. It would be interesting to see who of the posters have actually played the sports that they so boldly seem to know so much about.

Along the same lines, a local HS football coach was cited at the season's beginning as saying that today's high school football is on a par with D2 football 20 yrs ago. That Jacks team BTW (for those of you with typically American memories) smoked the number one D2 team in the nation (USD ;D), had the nation's leading rusher, the NCC offensive back of the year, a guy who went pro and another All-American who had two pro tryouts. Sure, things could have been better over the years. But I still contend that the Jacks had it a heck of a lot better than most over the years; remember, the NCC was once the envy of D2 football.

As we move towards competitiveness in 1AA, let us remember that it will not be a quick fix. This year's team has my confidence.

Comment

I've never played, but I agree that the NCC was one of, if not "the" toughest all around conference.

I also think that if we would have stayed D2 we would have been pounding some NCC fodder and be talking about conference championships and playoffs.

However I wouldn't trade the situation we have right now for anything. The future is o so bright.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                            As one of the several players on this board who played when we were "mired in mediocrity" I take umbrage to your comment that we were ever content with that.  That is a slap in the face of every player and/or coach who ever spent more hours than most people ever realize trying to win a 2 1/2 hour football game for 11 Saturday's out of the year.  Even when we were mired in mediocrity, we were never content.  Not one player or Coach.  Ever.  I don't know anyone who is.  However, throwing our QB under the bus after 4 games does more harm than good if you're truly interested in getting out of mediocrity.
                            Just want to clarify that my intent on the mediocrity bit was not to question any players' (not Kardoes or any other) hard work, time, effort, desire, etc... Furthermore it was not meant to question the same things by way of the coaching staff. HOWEVER...looking back at the record shows (oviously not a D1 history to look at yet) an indelable (sp?) record of .500 or so for many years. In many schools who have shown winning ways over at least part of their history, that would be completely unacceptable. Point being that maybe it is beyond the current coaching staffs abilities to capitalize on the current and hopefully future talent to be had at SDSU. I am not claiming that for a fact, just questioning it. I was not a player, although have been a football fan for many, many years. I do not have all the answers, nor do I consider myself an expert. On the other hand I do not think that just being a player means you have all the answers, either.

Comment

As we move towards competitiveness in 1AA, let us remember that it will not be a quick fix. This year's team has my confidence.
                              I will admit patience is NOT my strongest quality...in fact, I don't know if I have that quality at all. Having said that I do agree with you, 91rabbit, that it will not come quickly with so drastic a change as the D1 move. I do appreciate knowing that former players seem to have a lot of confidence in the current staff and team. It is fun to watch these guys. I have the feeling they could break big plays almost every time they touch the ball at times, but hope they can find the answers to capitalize on such chances more regularly. It was cool to play such teams as Cal-Poly as close as we did for most of the game. GO JACKS! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X