Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal-Poly

It's Mustang week.  Time to get ready for the Beef Bowl and Great West opener.  Here are a couple of site you might find interesting.

Cal-Poly Football site:

http://www.gopoly.com/football/mens/index.html

Cal-Poly Fan board:

http://p205.ezboard.com/fcalpolymustangsfrm2

Go State!  ;D

Re: Cal-Poly

The interesting detail about the MSU-Cal Poly game is that Cal Poly scored the first 14 points on defensive turnovers.  If we can avoid that kind of a spot to Poly, we should be able to stay with them and pull out a win. Another way of looking at is if MSU had not committed the turnovers, Cal Poly wins 24 to 10 only a TD and FG win.

I expect Cal Poly will be tough on D again this year.

Comment

I can't recall every being as excited to see a Jacks football game as I am this week!!

I may have to exit the duck blind a little early just to prepare for the tailgate festivities and get my game face on.

I'll be sadly disappointed if at least 12,000 don't show up for this tilt.  The student had better be present in force.

P.S. MJA Wulf won't be making it.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I can't wait for the game Saturday. I will be part of the never-ending caravan from Sioux Falls to enjoy D1 football in SD. If the Jacks continue to play at this level, a lot of people are going to get real excited real fast. I am also glad to see a game scheduled in SF. That should be a huge crowd.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Welcome to the board SF_Rabbit_Fan, thanks for Posting!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
            I can't wait for the game Saturday.  I will be part of the never-ending caravan from Sioux Falls to enjoy D1 football in SD.  If the Jacks continue to play at this level, a lot of people are going to get real excited real fast.  I am also glad to see a game scheduled in SF.  That should be a huge crowd.

Always great to hear from another Rabbit fan in Sioux Falls!

Comment

Info from the Cal-Poly web site:

http://www.gopoly.com/football/mens/...yRelease4.html

No. 12 Cal Poly Visits South Dakota State for GWFC Opener

Mustangs (2-1) Climb in Rankings After Victory over Then-No. 11 Montana State

Download Weekly Press Release (pdf)

(9/19/05) SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- No. 12 Cal Poly (2-1) opens defense of its inaugural Great West Football Conference championship Saturday night, visiting South Dakota State (2-1) at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium (cap.: 15,000). It will be Cal Poly's first trip to Brookings, S.D. . . .

Cal Poly, which dropped a 27-10 decision to Troy in the 2005 season opener, has beaten a pair of Big Sky Conference members in Mustang Stadium. The Mustangs defeated Sacramento State 37-13 in its home opener Sept. 10, then upset then-No. 11 Montana State 38-10 on Sept. 17.

South Dakota State opened its season with wins at home over Wisconsin-LaCrosse 42-13 and Valparaiso 69-6 before going on the road to face No. 4 Montana and losing 7-0 last Saturday.

South Dakota State has 14 returning starters and 26 other lettermen off a squad that went 6-5 a year ago in its first year of transition to Division I. The Jackrabbits, coached by John Stiegelmeier (ninth season, 50-39, South Dakota State '79), dropped their first game ever against Cal Poly, 14-7, in Mustang Stadium. Darrell Jones returned a punt 89 yards and Geno Randle ran eight yards for Cal Poly's only touchdowns of the game. Kenny Chicoine intercepted two passes, including one with four minutes to go in the game to thwart the Jackrabbits' last scoring threat.

Cal Poly, which moved up six spots in The Sports Network poll this week, returns 51 lettermen, including 12 starters and the punter, off a team that broke numerous school records and produced Buck Buchanan Award winner Jordan Beck, a third-round draft choice of the Atlanta Falcons. The team won its first seven games en route to the 9-2 mark. Only three teams in the 86-year history of the Mustang football program have won 10 games (1980, 1990 and 1997) and three others won nine games (1953, 1958 and 1973).

The 2005 Mustangs are led by defensive end Chris Gocong, No. 2 in balloting for the Buck Buchanan Award in 2004, along with wide receivers Jonah Russell and Jason Holmes, offensive linemen Beau Finato and Brett Gauld, safeties Aaron Williams and Kenny Chicoine, fullback Adam Martinez and quarterback Anthony Garnett, who started the final seven games of the 2004 season and passed for 1,711 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Garnett missed the opener at Troy with a fractured finger, but has started the last two games, completing 21 of 35 passes for 390 yards and one score. Redshirt freshman running back James Noble has a pair of 100-yard games in two career starts -- 108 yards on 20 carries and one TD against Sacramento State and 157 yards on 18 trips with one score against Montana State.

Junior cornerback Courtney Brown earned his third interception of the season, returning it 28 yards for a touchdown against Montana State, while Gocong recovered a Bobcat fumble in the endzone for another score. Cal Poly is 15-1 in its last 16 games in which the defense or special teams score a touchdown.

South Dakota State is led by running back Anthony Watson, who has rushed for 351 yards and five touchdowns in three games, averaging 9.0 yards per carry. Quarterback Andy Kardoes has completed 29 of 59 passes for 296 yards and two scores. Top Jackrabbit receiver is Josh Davis with 10 catches for 118 yards.

Cal Poly, with back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since moving to Division I-AA (7-4 in 2003), won its first seven games in 2004 and climbed as high as No. 5 in the national polls before falling to UC Davis and Eastern Washington. The Mustangs finished first in the nation in rushing defense and outscored their 11 opponents by an average of 30.5 to 16.6.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Congrats on a great game against Montana. The Great West had a great weekend.

I am really looking forward to the game this weekend, unfortunately I will have to listen to it on the radio. I talked the wife into traveling to two games this year, but could not swing the third. I have family in Alabama and friends in Missoula so it was Troy and Montana this year. I definately will try to make it there in two years. BTW the pics of the stadium improvements and score board look great.

SDSU looks tough again this year. I can only imagine how tough you will be when you have all 63 scholarships. Should be a great game.

Comment

SloStang,

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting. Congrats to you also, you guys did a number on Montana State. I am really looking forward to this weekend's game, should be a good one.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I hear there is a possibility of rain this weekend. How is the turf at SDSU? Does it hold up well in rain or turn into a mud bowl like Mustang stadium? That could really cut into the crowd also.

As far as the outcome of the game when rain is involved, I think it could be to SDSU's advantage. Your running game is more of a power game and Poly's is base on the option. If it is rainning I could see a lot of balls on the ground for Poly. Also Poly has a vastly improved passing game than you saw last year before Garnett started. The rain would help minimize that.

I am hoping for clear skys. Either way I think it will be a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang
                      I hear there is a possibility of rain this weekend.  How is the turf at SDSU?  Does it hold up well in rain or turn into a mud bowl like Mustang stadium?  That could really cut into the crowd also.

As far as the outcome of the game when rain is involved, I think it could be to SDSU's advantage. Your running game is more of a power game and Poly's is base on the option.  If it is rainning I could see a lot of balls on the ground for Poly.  Also Poly has a vastly improved passing game than you saw last year before Garnett started.  The rain would help minimize that.

I am hoping for clear skys.  Either way I think it will be a great game.
                      Last forecast indicated about a 30-50% chance of rain. Believe it or not, the local high school team shares the field and if it rains Friday the turf will be beat up for Saturday night. Its grass and designed to drain but the technology is not brand new. If it rains, there will be mud.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Thank you for the update. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for clear skys.

Comment

The high school doens't play at CAS again until October 7th.

GO State
                          Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16
                            The high school doens't play at CAS again until October 7th.

GO State  
                            Thanks for the info, wasn't sure of the Bobcats schedule. That makes the rain less of an issue.

Comment

remaining bobcat home schedule
                              oct 7 Vs. o'gorman
                              oct 14 vs. huron

so no more weekends that the bobcats and the jacks play the same weekend @ cas

Comment

Working...
                              X