Texas State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas State

Another week, another ranked opponent. This week it is the Bobcats of Texas State. Here is a link to their football web site and fan board:

Football site:

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports....otbl-body.html

Fan board:

http://bobcatfans.com/forums/

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Re: Texas State

texas state was pretty good last week against texas A&M. they might have won except for getting penalized all the time.a lot of personal foul .i think they had over 111 yards against them.it stopped a lot of drives.does this happen every week .lets hope so next week .BEWARE OF THE HARE...

Comment

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72685

Very good game for Texas St. QB. Our DBs better be ready to step it up a few notches against this guy.

* Barrick Nealy, 6-5, 230, Senior, Quarterback, Texas State vs Texas A&M, Dallas, Texas
      Nealy nearly engineered a shocking upset of Texas A&M on Thursday night in College Station, Texas before a television audience. He completed 26-of-34 passes for 378 yards and three touchdowns and rushed five times for 36 yards to finish with 414 yards of total offense. The game was moved on short notice from Saturday to Thursday night because of the threat of Hurricane Rita. Nealy hit Markee White for a six-yard TD pass and Blake Burton on an 18-yard scoring strike in the second quarter and tossed a 17-yard touchdown aerial to Tyrone Scott on the first play of the fourth period. Nealy nearly had a fourth touchdown pass, but a 72-yard completion to White was ruled out of bounds at the one-yard line early in the second period. Nealy totally befuddled the Aggies on a 38-yard scoring scamper in the fourth quarter, scrambling towards one sideline and then cutting back through the center of the field and past several tacklers before racing down the left sideline and diving into the end zone. Nealy led the Bobcat attack as it put up 493 against the Big 12 powerhouse.

Comment

San Marcos Daily Record
        Nealy honored; Bobcats drop in polls
        From Staff Reports
        http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/artic...ts/sports1.prt

For the second time in as many games, Texas State University quarterback Barrick Nealy has been named the Aeropostale Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Week following his performance in the Bobcats' game against Texas A&M. Nealy was also one of four players selected Weekly All-Stars as tabbed by I-AA.org on Monday.

In Texas State's 44-31 loss at Texas A&M, Nealy completed 26-of-34 passes for 378 yards and three touchdowns. He also had a 38-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter that cut the Aggies' lead to the final margin with nine minutes to play.

On the scoring play, Nealy scrambled toward the Texas State sideline, cut back across the field then raced back down the sideline, diving into the end zone. The officials never signaled a touchdown but after reviewing the play, it was ruled a touchdown.

Both Nealy's passing yard total and total offense (414 yards) were the third-best performance by a player at the NCAA Division I-AA level this season. The passing yardage total also ranks third all-time at Texas State. The Dallas native holds the top two spots and six of the top 10 all-time passing performances at Texas State.

He got the Bobcats on the scoreboard with a six-yard touchdown pass to Markee White after the pair hooked up for a 72-yard pass play on the same drive. Nealy would also complete an 18-yard touchdown pass to fullback Blake Burton and find Tyrone Scott for a 17-yard touchdown reception later in the game.

Nealy heads into this week's home game against South Dakota State ranked fourth in Division I-AA in total offensive yards (313.67 pg) and seventh in pass efficiency (162.04). He is averaging 237.7 yards passing and has completed 66.7 percent of his passes (52-of-78 with 1 interception).

Among active Division I-AA players, Nealy ranks second in total yards per game (247.6), seventh in total offensive yards (5942) and ninth in total plays (966). He also ranks among the top 20 in passing attempts, completions, yards, touchdowns and pass efficiency.

Bobcats now ranked No. 16 in I-AA poll

Despite gaining points in this week's Sports Network Division I-AA Poll, Texas State slipped two positions to No. 16 following last week's 44-31 loss at Texas A&M.

The Bobcats received 977 points last week but gained votes worth 1,052 points this week. Montana State moved ahead of the 'Cats from No. 18 to No. 12 following a 20-17 upset of No. 8 North Dakota State.

The Bobcats were one of two nationally-ranked Division I-AA teams to play premier Division I-A programs last week. Western Kentucky fell from the No. 1 position in the TSN poll to third following a 37-14 loss at Arizona last week. New Hampshire is this week's top-ranked team followed by Southern Illinois.

Through the first month of the season, no clear choice for No. 1 in I-AA has emerged. The top-five ranked teams in the TSN poll received at least seven first-place votes. Three of the teams are ranked among the top five despite losses to Division I-A teams this season. No. 2 Southern Illinois suffered a 34-28 loss at Western Michigan earlier this year while No. 4 Montana's lone loss was a 47-14 setback at Oregon.

New Hampshire is the fourth No. 1 team in as many weeks, which is a first in The Sports Network poll. The last time four teams held a No. 1 ranking at any point in the same regular season was 1993.

This week, three games between ranked opponents are on top. No. 6 James Madison is at No. 23 Hofstra in both teams' Atlantic 10 opener while No. 12 Montana State plays host to No. 24 Idaho State in the Big Sky opener for both teams. Additionally, No. 15 Harvard puts its 13-game winning streak on the line when the Crimson plays host to No. 11 Lehigh.

Texas State is one of only two Southland Conference teams ranked in this week's poll. Northwestern State dropped to No. 25 after its home game with Texas Southern was canceled by Hurricane Rita. McNeese State, Sam Houston State and Nicholls State are all receiving votes and will look to get on track after canceled games last week. SFA is also receiving votes in the national poll and is coming off a win over Southern Utah.

Later on Monday, ESPN/USA Today released its Division I-AA poll and the Bobcats were also the No. 16 team according to that poll, also slipping two slots from the previous week.

The Bobcats return to action at home this week when they play host to South Dakota State. The Jackrabbits are also receiving national votes and coming off a pair of close losses to two of the top 10 teams in the nation.

Kickoff for Saturday's game is slated for 6 p.m. in Bobcat Stadium.

We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Hey Jack fans, another Bobcatfan here.

If your team doesn't get wrapped up in the fact that we're yet another ranked team (which I don't think they will, seeing as how it's becomin old hat for you guys) and if they don't look too heavily at the A&M game and think they're heading down here to play a D-1A caliber team, then I think you guys have as good a shot at winning as anyone else in our conference.

It's all about attitude. If your team gets on the bus with a purpose, I personally will be a little bit leery of this game. It's one that *could* jump up and bite us in the a$$. You guys have talent that's for sure. And you have the resolve to take a team like Motana to the edge, and for that I give you MAD respect.

I'm looking forward to a good game. Although, my Bobcat blood realllly wants to see a blowout by the home team .

Be ready for a hot one. It's been 107 down here all week. We're supposed to ge a little cold front tomorrow, should drop down to the high 80s or low 90s, which is PERFECT for some football.

P.S. If any of you guys come down, be sure and hit up the river at Sewell Park. Nothing like some river and some football on a Saturday in San Marcos.

Comment

Chris Kelly has the SDSU-Texas State game as his GWFC Game Of The Week:

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...092905aaa.html
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There should be about 130 Rabbit fans (parents, alumni, etc.) under a tent on the west side of the stadium on Saturday from 4-6 pm.

Comment

Has SDSU ever played Texas State before? I do not have that info handy. If so, how did we match up before? I am just guessing this is a new opponent for us.

Comment

No SDSU has not played Texas State. Texas State used to be Southwest Texas State and met the NDSU Bison more than once in the playoffs and D2 finals. The late Jim Wacker, who coached NDSU, and Minnesota was also a coach at Texas State. Other than that, Texas State is a very new opponent.

Comment

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports....092905aaa.html

Football Set to Host South Dakota State

No.-16 Texas State returns to I-AA competition

Sept. 29, 2005

SAN MARCOS - North and south collide when Texas State hosts South Dakota State on Saturday at Bobcat Stadium. The 6 p.m. game marks a return to I-AA competition for the Bobcats who fell to Texas A&M last week.

Last Thursday, the Bobcats lost a hard-fought 44-31 game to Texas A&M. Texas State met the Aggies two days earlier than scheduled in light of Hurricane Rita's landfall on the Texas-Louisiana border.

In its first trip to College Station since 1919, Texas State recorded 493 yards of total offense behind SLC Offensive Player of the Week Barrick Nealy, wide receiver Markee White and tailback Douglas Sherman. The Bobcat defense was also solid, recording two Reggie McNeal sacks and covering two fumbles

South Dakota State (2-2), a member of the Great West Football Conference, makes just its second journey outside the Dakotas to take on the Bobcats this weekend. Head coach John Stiegelmeier's squad plays seven games at home, one at Montana and one at Texas State.

Saturday's meeting will be the first between the Jackrabbits and the Bobcats, and only the second meeting with a school from the Dakotas for No.-16 Texas State. The `Cats defeated North Dakota State 42-13 in the 1981 Division II national championship game. . . . (read more)

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Here are links to each's schools Press release:

SDSU:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/.../SDSUNotes.pdf

Texas State:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...ly-release.pdf

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Here is a link and some highlights from a story that was in today's San Antonio paper:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/l....164cab91.html

Football: Bobcats may be facing must-win game already

Web Posted: 09/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Jerry Briggs
                        Express-News Staff Writer

Texas State coach David Bailiff isn't complaining about a new provision in the Division I-AA football playoff selection criteria that puts added emphasis on the number of victories against Division I competition.

Still, it's possible that the Bobcats might have to win a non-conference game Saturday at home against South Dakota State in order to keep alive their hopes of an at-large bid to the 16-team national playoffs.

A loss, in the fourth week of the season, could put them in position of having to win the Southland Conference to get one of the eight automatic bids. . . . (read more)

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Coach Bailiff said we had an awful practice on Tuesday. For some reason I think you guys are going to fight tooth and nail for most of the game. But I still think Barrick doesn't let the team lose this one.

Comment

This will be another tough game. Long road trip, warm weather, ?hostile environment.

Texas St. look like they are playing well. Jacks have questions especially in the defensive secondary and the cats have a solid QB. D-line needs to get pressure on the QB.

I trust our running game will be solid again. Kardoes now has some experience and I'm hoping this will be his breakthrough game.

I think this one is too tough to call.

Anyone know if Texas St. broadcasts any games via satellite? I did see the webcast link.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Kardoes needs to have a game on Saturday for the Jacks to win the game. Now's the time to step up and be THE quarterback for the Jacks. They don't get any easier from here.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X