Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep in mind, our players read this board

Ask yourself:

"Will my post help a player to play better or is it just making him feel worse than he should.

Our players and coaches are putting everything on the line every time they step onto the field.

They deserve our support and encouragement, good game or bad, win or lose!

JBNJBQ

Re: Keep in mind, our players read this board

I agree. You guys got mad because someone posted something they heard, and asked if there was any truth to it...like that was so bad, yet many people are on here ripping the team when they are short 20 scholarships and playing close games with the top teams in I-AA. Doesn't make sense to me - I'd much rather read on this forum a rumor that I was transferring somewhere, even if I wasn't, rather than get run down for losing to a couple very good teams.

Comment

I totally disagree. Our players are grown men, not children. They're obviously tougher and more determined than any of us could hope to be. They have proven that on the field this season. I doubt that they find anything but motivation here to prove naysayers wrong.

If there is general agreement that we should self-censor, I, for one, won't bother with this board. When you start policing discussion on a discussion board, telling certain people they should leave (that has happened here many times) or smacking down people whose posts you don't like, you've destroyed the spirit of the entire enterprise.

Comment

*From the Moderator

Big difference between stating ones opinion and spreading rumors. On this board the first is encouraged and the second is frowned upon and that is how it is.

Comment

I think there may be some confusion about the purpose of this board. The founding individuals are "rabid" Jacks fans who want to demonstrate their support for SDSU and the move to DI. Included will be praise, criticism and all other opinions about the athletes, coaches and institution. Not sure how that can be equated to false statements and rumors. Accepting criticism is an absolute necessity in life.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
            I totally disagree. Our players are grown men, not children. They're obviously tougher and more determined than any of us could hope to be. They have proven that on the field this season. I doubt that they find anything but motivation here to prove naysayers wrong.

If there is general agreement that we should self-censor, I, for one, won't bother with this board. When you start policing discussion on a discussion board, telling certain people they should leave (that has happened here many times) or smacking down people whose posts you don't like, you've destroyed the spirit of the entire enterprise.
            Pardon me while I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

You are not seriously suggesting that posters should just post the first thing that comes into their heads, without consideration to fact, tact, or logic, are you? That appears to me to be the alternative to the "self-censoring" you decry.

I would explore this further, but it seems to me that I'd be entering the realm of political discussion, which is not appropriate here. So I'll "self-censor" at this point.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
              I agree.  You guys got mad because someone posted something they heard, and asked if there was any truth to it...like that was so bad, yet many people are on here ripping the team when they are short 20 scholarships and playing close games with the top teams in I-AA.  Doesn't make sense to me - I'd much rather read on this forum a rumor that I was transferring somewhere, even if I wasn't, rather than get run down for losing to a couple very good teams.  
              You make a very good point.  While I don't think either form of speech should be censored, I totally agree that I rather have someone asking whether I was transferring as opposed to criticizing my play.  Would you rather have your co-workers ask "Is SDsportsFan taking another job?" followed up with "no he's not, end of discussion." or would you rather hear "SDsportsfFans sucks at his job."  I know which one I rather hear.

With that being said I also agree with JackMD that accepting criticism is a fact of life, and thats why I don't think we should have to refrain from posting criticism if thats how we feel.

Comment

*From the Moderator

SDsportFan,

So you would rather see someone post that SDsportsFan is really a Coyote backer and a convicted felon, rather then post that they think you just don't "get it" most of the time. Is that right? Just seeing if I understand your logic.

One would be a rumor the other is opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Pardon me while I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

You are not seriously suggesting that posters should just post the first thing that comes into their heads, without consideration to fact, tact, or logic, are you?  That appears to me to be the alternative to the "self-censoring" you decry.

I would explore this further, but it seems to me that I'd be entering the realm of political discussion, which is not appropriate here.  So I'll "self-censor" at this point.
                  Give me a break. Pick your jaw up off the floor? Reread my post. Anything in there about spreading rumors? Anything in there about posting "the first thing" that comes into one's head?

You might recall that I have been involved in stopping certain abuses on this board (for example, one poster masquerading as a USD player). Nothing in my many posts on this board would suggest to anyone that I would encourage rumors or misrepresentation. I've been there with you trying to keep that off of this board.

But criticism and personal opinions? That's what JBNJBQ wants us to censor to spare players' feelings. As I said above, I disagree with that argument. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

Would you rather have your co-workers ask "Is SDsportsFan taking another job?" followed up with "no he's not, end of discussion." or would you rather here "SDsportsfFans sucks at his job."  I know which one I rather hear.

*From the Moderator,

I also feel the need to point out that your analogy is flawed, because that is exactly what didn't happen. I don't mean to pick on mmiller_34, because as far as I am concerned that matter is over, but he didn't go to the player (a friend and former teamate according to mmiller_34) and ask. He posted a rumor that he claimed he didn't believe. Here is a link to the thread (please feel free to re-read it to understand the full context of it) and a few key exchanges.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...6978128;start=

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    *From the moderator

I don't want this board to turn into a rumor mill. If you have something to post that you know (or believe to be true based on solid sources) that is one thing . . . this is especially true when it comes to peoples lives. Please be careful what you post.
                    Originally posted by mmiller_34
                    holy cow people, i came to this board for information, i got the information. is it bad that i came here to blow this rumor away.. because when i heard it i did not believe it, i said no way, thats bogus. so, i knew exactly what to come here to this board where there are alot of intelligent people whose opinion i respect, and now i get bashed for 1 thing i post. Awesome. so great, i wish i had never come to this site and gotten rid of that rumor.

so maybe we should think of it this way. as a group we got down to the truth of what is really true. i guess this is bad.

i thought during this entire thread i was entirely polite, treated people with respect. i get none in return. Jordan Paula is my friend, and i hope he doesnt think anything bad of me because because i respect him, i look up to him as a football player.

*From the Moderator

Perhaps a better way of pursuing your aim or "blowing the rumor away" would have been to ask Jordan Paula, since you are friends and former teamates, and then presented your findings to the board as this would be information from a reliable source.

mmiller_34, please understand that I do believe your action, unlike those of another poster, were motivated as you described. However, I don't want to force our athletes, coachs, or anyone for that matter to have to come on the baord and put down unfounded rumors.

So I will post it again, I don't want this board to turn into a rumor mill. If you have something to post that you know (or believe to be true based on solid sources) that is one thing . . . this is especially true when it comes to peoples lives. Please be careful what you post.

That is really all there is to say on this issue, and I think it is time to move on.

Hopefully this clears up any residual confusion about rumors and opinions.

Comment

Give me a break. Pick your jaw up off the floor? Reread my post. Anything in there about spreading rumors? Anything in there about posting "the first thing" that comes into one's head?

You might recall that I have been involved in stopping certain abuses on this board (for example, one poster masquerading as a USD player). Nothing in my many posts on this board would suggest to anyone that I would encourage rumors or misrepresentation. I've been there with you trying to keep that off of this board.

But criticism and personal opinions? That's what JBNJBQ wants us to censor to spare players' feelings. As I said above, I disagree with that argument. That's it.
                      Ah, the joys of computer-mediated communications.

I suspect you and I actually agree to a very large extent, OK. I just locked in on your comment about leaving the board if the expectation was that posters self-censor and had difficulty understanding that point of view.

The dropping jaw on my part was I think mainly because I don't want you to leave--I think you're a valuable part of our little community here.

To the main point, I'm really of two minds--first, I think generally college athletes should be judged on if they gave their best effort, not necessarily on W's and L's. On the other hand, when SDSU stepped up to D-I, the level of scrutiny of athletes, coaches, and programs also intensified. These two concepts are in tension with one another.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

*From the Moderator

SDsportFan,

So you would rather see someone post that SDsportsFan is really a Coyote backer and a convicted felon, rather then post that they think you just don't "get it" most of the time.  Is that right?  Just seeing if I understand your logic.

One would be a rumor the other is opinion.

Thats funny that you compare a rumor about someone transfering with a rumor about someone being a convicted felon, because thats about how big of a deal many people made of it. You would have thought that whoever started that thread abour Jordan transfering was actually calling him a rapist.
                        I think the comarison I gave in my last post was much more comparable to the situations that we have dealt with on this board than the ridiculous comparison that you just gave.  However, I will give your hypothetical situation some thought.  I suppose if there was a rumor going around that I was a convicted felon, I would just assume to have it posted on a message board so either people who know the truth or me myself could get on the board and set the story straight.  Otherwise the rumor could go on for a lot longer and I would never know about it and never be able to set people straight.  This is how it has worked with the two rumors I can remember being posted on here, Paula and Holdren.  I had heard both rumors before they were ever posted on the board, and then after they were posted both guys were able to come on and set the story straight.  So I guess I rather have that then people to tell everyone that I am doing a poor job.  

But like I said before, I support both forms of speech.  I don't support out right lies.  I don't support people coming on here and making things up just to get things stirred up.  I have yet to see an example of that. The rumors I've seen on here are things that people have heard, and I believe they are honestly trying to get to the bottom of a story, as opposed to just making $hit up for the sake of making it up.

Comment

*From the Moderator,

Fair enough.  You are entitled to your opinion.  My opinion is that of the two rumors, one was started maliciously and one was not.  Both posters showed poor judgement and hopefully we have all learned from their mistakes.  Let me post this again and hopefully this will clear up an confusion as to the course this board will take.  

I don't want this board to turn into a rumor mill.  If you have something to post that you know (or believe to be true based on solid sources) that is one thing  .  .  .  this is especially true when it comes to peoples lives.  Please be careful what you post.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you need further clarification.    

Comment

ditto

Oh, and can I blame Mike_H for this. Seems like we've let him off the hook in recent months and should start taking jabs at him again. (Just kidding Mike).
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I totally disagree. Our players are grown men, not children.
                              Grown men can walk into any bar and have a drink. Most of our players are too young to do that legally.

Our players are "student athletes." They come to SDSU looking for coaches, professors and other influential people, who will help them to shape their character.

If the message we send them is:

"we like you, when it serves our purpose"
                              "you are our hero, if you win."
                              "you suck if you can't perform at 100% accuracy"
                              etc. etc. etc.

I believe we have failed them.

If there is general agreement that we should self-censor, I, for one, won't bother with this board.
                              Don't throw a temper tantrum! We love you even when you are wrong.

When you start policing discussion on a discussion board, telling certain people they should leave (that has happened here many times) or smacking down people whose posts you don't like, you've destroyed the spirit of the entire enterprise.
                              1. I have never said anyone should leave this board.

2. I believe the only people I have smacked down are those that have come to board to blast SDSU. The smack thread is there for that purpose.

As a respected scholar once said on this board "If you don't like it don't read it!"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Working...
                              X