Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bottom Line - Week 5

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...100605aab.html

"South Dakota State is going to struggle to move the ball this weekend. Koenig has run for 100 yards the past two weeks, but don't be surprised if he doesn't surpass 70 this weekend against a terrific run defense. Thus if the pressure is on Kardoes, the Jacks offense is likely to stall again. South Dakota State's front seven has to bring all sorts of pressure on Jon Grant and make life difficult. They have to confuse the offensive line, and force the Aggies into mistakes, which will keep this a low scoring game. Unfortunately this offense is clicking and the line is playing as well as it has all year. Hank McCall may help bring Tony Kays back to earth, but the Ags have enough weapons to keep the scoreboard lit up. UC Davis 27 South Dakota State 10" :-/

Re: The Bottom Line - Week 5

I guess there are no consequences if we throw out a score. I going to go SDSU 27 AND UCD 10 ;D ;D ;D

A win is possible. If our guys can defend the pass, we will be in the driver seat. If not, ouch. UCD being down to their fourth string rb makes it interesting. We never know what the fourth string is really like until they get on the field.

If Kardoes can not go and Ryan Berry or Burkhart are given the ball, it will be like UCD's 4th string running back, we dont know what these guys can do. ??? ??? ???

Comment

I think the D needs to set the game up for the offense, then just run to open the pass up later. I'm hoping for a close game that the Jacks can pull out at the end. They really need a Win.

Comment

I think the most underated part of our team is our running game. Cal Poly is supposed to have one of the best rushing D's in the country and we ran all over them. That seems to get lost in the shuffle of our D playing well and our passing game being terrible. I think we'll be able to move the ball against Davis on the ground.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I hope so, but the Cal Davis run D must be the real deal.

Three of the teams they played don't seem to have that great of a run offense, but Portland State does.

Portland St.'s leading rusher this season, Joe Rubin has in five games: 172 carries 854 yards and a 5.0 ave with 9 TDS.

Against Davis: 26 carries 47 yards 1.8 ave

Take out the Davis game and he's averaging over 200 yards a game with a decent schedule.

That being said, I still think we can get over 100 yards against them and need to break a few for TD's.

Comment

A few things....

-I really beleive that UCD's run defense is better than Cal Poly's, and the numbers would back that up. I've seen them play in person once, and twice on TV - they are very legit. Against a bigger Stanford front, who reutrned all five offensive line starters, the dominated. Plus Andre Wilson just ran all over the Mustangs as well. I think Steffes will go over 100 this week too.

-That said, Koenig is impressive. Cal Poly is still a premiere run d. He ran for 100 against them, Txs St, and had a solid avg against Montana. There is no denying he is talented. He HAS to run well this weekend.

-The biggest key for the Jacks is this: they have to win the battle between their D-line, and the Davis O-line. UCD's O-line has looked impressive against Stanford, and Sac St, but did struggle in their first two games. If the Jacks can be agressive with their stunting, and pressure, Grant wil make mistakes under pressure.

For SDSU to win it has to be a low scoring affair - like 17-14, 14-10. The same way UCD lost their first two games.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
              I think the most underated part of our team is our running game.  Cal Poly is supposed to have one of the best rushing D's in the country and we ran all over them.  That seems to get lost in the shuffle of our D playing well and our passing game being terrible.  I think we'll be able to move the ball against Davis on the ground.
              I don't get too many opportunities to say this, but I love being right.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Koenig & the o-line, great job. SDSU also did what they needed to on offense - put lots of pressure on the o-line and Grant.

Great job by the Jacks!

Comment

I may be a little biased, but I still think Poly and Davis both have great run defenses. That makes what Koenig and SDSU did in their run offense all the more impressive. I have said it before and I'll say it again, SDSU is impressive now but wait until you are fully funded with scholarships. You certainly have a bright future, I only hope it will be in the GWFC. Good luck against GSU and bring home another impressive win for SDSU and the Great West.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
                    By the Way We can Pound it on anyone....

Once Kardoes develops his passing we will be very explosive....

The Jacks Future is Bright
                    Watson JR
                    Koenig-Soph
                    Erickson-Soph
                    Kardoes-Jr
                    Harris-RFR
                    Campbell-RFR
                    CRumly-Soph
                    Wagner-Soph

D-LINE
                    Goff-True FR
                    Nobling-Fr
                    Shroeder- FR
                    Poncherelli- Soph

LBs
                    Kranz-Jr
                    Hoogaveen-soph
                    Kubesh- Soph
                    Chris Johnson- Chris Coauette Clone
                    Isaiah Jackson- Comparable to Jordan Beck

The Jacks will be better in the next few years.....
                    One big if/when and thats Kardoes. How does a guy has athletic as him and not a good passer end up a QB?

Kardoes has 2 TDs this year, 2! If he doesn't shine in the first half against Rolla I favor benching him for the next best thing. I don't know who that is.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree, it may be a good opportunity to see what another QB would have to offer.
                      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
                        By the Way We can Pound it on anyone....

Once Kardoes develops his passing we will be very explosive....

The Jacks Future is Bright
                        Watson JR
                        Koenig-Soph
                        Erickson-Soph
                        Kardoes-Jr
                        Harris-RFR
                        Campbell-RFR
                        CRumly-Soph
                        Wagner-Soph

D-LINE
                        Goff-True FR
                        Nobling-Fr
                        Shroeder- FR
                        Poncherelli- Soph

LBs
                        Kranz-Jr
                        Hoogaveen-soph
                        Kubesh- Soph
                        Chris Johnson- Chris Coauette Clone
                        Isaiah Jackson- Comparable to Jordan Beck

The Jacks will be better in the next few years.....

He brings up a good subject to discuss, does anybody have an idea of how are younger guys are looking. Above it seems he has confidence in Johnson and Jackson without them seeing the field, is this valid or wishful thinking. Our young guys on the dline will be studs, there is no doubt in my mind.

What about the rest of the young guys: The CB from San Fran, the Arizona clan, is the Freshman QB performing well. Does anybody have any knowledge of how these guys are progressing.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I have not heard how the heralded freshman quarterback from Tucson has looked in practice? It is also unclear who is the #2 quarterback. I'm really excited about having Goff and Pontrelli around for a while. I think if we do add 11 more scholarships next year we need to focus on getting faster at linebacker and the defensive backfield. We are going to be graduating some pretty good players and think we need to look at the junior college route again to fill needs at those positions. The recievers continue to get taller and we need to consider this when recruiting defensive backs. I also think when addressing needs for the next couple of years we need to start adding some more depth at running back. I'm anxious to see what the freshman running back from Nebraska can do!

Comment

Working...
                          X