Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SDSU Band..............

Guys and Gals,
     Cap'n Cat's been to a lot of I-AA games in his time and He has to say that the SDSU band is THE best He ever saw.  No kidding.  Surely, "The Pride Of The Dakotas"!

: : :

Re: The SDSU Band..............

Darn right!

We had no doubt there. I can't remember what thread or board I saw it on, but that's the answer to the question: why does the band getting a standing O' after performing and the team doesn't?

Go Pride!

Comment

I agree for the most part. It seems they play less songs in the stands lately, but for the Davis game, they were probably trying to allow the Davis band more playing time.

They do need to be careful when our offense is on the field and play more when our defense is out. At least the AD has given them a bit more leeway the last few years. The first down bit they have invented is really a hit.

However, the Pride is the Pride and without them the game would be different and much less fans. I doubt my folks would have attended games for the last 10+ years if they hadn't had two sons in the Pride.

It is a different program now, but at least in the past, a big chunk of fans would leave after halftime of a blowout game or a non-rival.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's an NCAA violation if you have your band play, or pipe in music through your sound system, when the ball is in play. You may get a warning, but after that, an unsportsmanlike penalty.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

They do play when they are huddling or time-outs though and I think that's what we are discussing.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
            the Band is the Bomb in the First Half but after that they dont do Nothing, I would like them to play the whole game. It seems as though they are there for themselves, I am not saying they are bad because they are great but I wish they would do more for the program and not hold signs that say GO PRIDE, get some that say GO STATE, I mean are we all part of a bigger entity, I enjoy when they represent the PRIDE out of state like parades and stuff but at the game it seems as though they are trying to grab the spolight at the expense of the Game, I would hope that people came to the game to support the Jacks on the field. As an ex player and an avid fan I would like to propose that the band play when the opponents are on offense, so they can't hear the cadence and boost our D, not when we are on offense, where the Line/QB/WR's cant hear...
            I am saying I would like to see more PRIDE for the Program and not focus on the Band......

Thanks.

First off, playing when the other team is trying to complete a cadence is illegal, and would get the team a penalty. If you ever listen to the band, they will start playing, but then will stop playing when the ball is being put into play and sing the song, until the ball is put into motion, and then will play again. If the band could just blast and make noise to throw off the opponets cadence they would be. I think if you could do this some of the bigger schools would be putting together thousand piece bands to give themselves a better home field advantage.

As for the "GO PRIDE" signs, these are being used as a theme this year for a fundraiser the band is doing to purchase insturments. I think the goal is to raise around 300,000, and from what I've heard, should be met by Hobo day this year. I wouldnt' take out having the go pride signs on the band, I think the concept was developed by the SDSU foundation to assist in fundraising. The band members aren't trying to get attention for themselves, its for a fundraiser.

As for playing after halftime, usually they don't play because brass players get pretty tired. Believe it or not blasting on an insturment for 4 hours is very tiring for a persons lips. I doubt you will understand what I'm talking about if you haven't played before, but in cold weather, outside, playing as loudly as you can makes it very difficult to play for longer times. If you listen to the band, as the weather gets colder, the sound of the brass will become more brittle. Thats why.

As for not supporting the teams, I know that the band memebers are some of the most supportive fans in the crowd. After all, how many of you can say you will be at every game the band is at this year? Probably only the most dedicated. Everyone needs to remember that people in the band have lives outside of football games too. This weekend they gave up a three day weekend with their families, and a full day of studying time to go to sioux falls, just like the football team, except most of the members of the band don't get full rides to school, they are just like normal students. Its a big sacrifice to make every fall, we should appreciate it. A lot of schools have trouble recruiting band members for that exact reason (NDSU).

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
              the Band is the Bomb in the First Half but after that they dont do Nothing, I would like them to play the whole game. It seems as though they are there for themselves, I am not saying they are bad because they are great but I wish they would do more for the program and not hold signs that say GO PRIDE, get some that say GO STATE, I mean are we all part of a bigger entity, I enjoy when they represent the PRIDE out of state like parades and stuff but at the game it seems as though they are trying to grab the spolight at the expense of the Game, I would hope that people came to the game to support the Jacks on the field. As an ex player and an avid fan I would like to propose that the band play when the opponents are on offense, so they can't hear the cadence and boost our D, not when we are on offense, where the Line/QB/WR's cant hear...
              I am saying I would like to see more PRIDE for the Program and not focus on the Band......

Thanks.
              Must say I don't agree. We have a great band that brings our alumni and students great pride and I think a component of respect. I love hearing the pride play.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As a member of the Pride I would like to respond to a couple things. First of all I actually do agree that we don't do much in the 2nd half, there are a couple reasons for that. After half time it takes some time to sift our way throught everyone rushing to the concessions, then people some people stop to talk to their parents or get food themselves. We never really get situated until midway through the 3rd Quarter. I personally wish we were as energetic in the 2nd half as the first. But I don't think its a case of us thinking for ourselves, thats not what our directors preach anyway. People don't realize what a big task it is to get 375 people on the same page at football games especially when we go on a trip and travel in 7 or 8 buses. Another thing is that I agree that the crowd should cheer for the FB team as loudly as the band, our fans don't know how to get into a football game. They are too polite, instead of wasting all their energy yelling at the refs, which I believe they put more effort to than actually cheering for the team, they should stand up on 3rd downs, make some noise during crucial parts of the game. Thats why I love going to Vikings games at the Dome, its really frickin loud on 3rd downs, the fans don't need a cue when to stand up and cheer they just do it. At the game in SF on Saturday the Bunny tried to start the wave, the band started but when it got past the band everyone was sitting on their hands. WAKE UP!!!! CHEER, DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!! So, the band is there to entertain at halftime and try to support the team when needed. We play a first down chant every time we get a first down so we try to do our best. So those are my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Love the Pride. Running out onto the field when they're playing is a rush I'll never forget. Having played at Morningside before they left the NCC, I'll never forget the "band" they had at their games. One guy on a trap set, one guy with a bass guitar and a huge amp turned up way too loud, one guy on trumpet, one trombone, one guy on sax and I think a couple other percussion instruments if I remember correctly. In a way, it was pretty cool that they would show up, but damned funny, too. Also they were the only people sitting in the North stands which even added to the humor.

Not sure everyone knows this, but the Pride plays for pretty much all SDSU football practices, as well. That's dedication, people.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    Not sure everyone knows this, but the Pride plays for pretty much all SDSU football practices, as well.  That's dedication, people.
                    Never realized that, but true!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty
                      As a member of the Pride I would like to respond to a couple things.  First of all I actually do agree that we don't do much in the 2nd half, there are a couple reasons for that.  After half time it takes some time to sift our way throught everyone rushing to the concessions, then people some people stop to talk to their parents or get food themselves.  We never really get situated until midway through the 3rd Quarter.  I personally wish we were as energetic in the 2nd half as the first.  But I don't think its a case of us thinking for ourselves, thats not what our directors preach anyway. People don't realize what a big task it is to get 375 people on the same page at football games especially when we go on a trip and travel in  7 or 8 buses.  Another thing is that I agree that the crowd should cheer for the FB team as loudly as the band, our fans don't know how to get into a football game. They are too polite, instead of wasting all their energy yelling at the refs, which I believe they put more effort to than actually cheering for the team, they should stand up on 3rd downs, make some noise during crucial parts of the game.  Thats why I love going to Vikings games at the Dome, its really frickin loud on 3rd downs, the fans don't need a cue when to stand up and cheer they just do it.  At the game in SF on Saturday the Bunny tried to start the wave, the band started but when it got past the band everyone was sitting on their hands.  WAKE UP!!!! CHEER, DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!!  So, the band is there to entertain at halftime and try to support the team when needed.  We play a first down chant every time we get a first down so we try to do our best.  So those are my 2 cents worth.
                      EXACTLY. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Boy, it's taboo to say anything but glowing comments about the band.

Here's my two cents. At Iowa, Purdue, and Oklahoma, there is no difference between the band's performance in the first half and the second half. Somehow, those 300 to 400 band members (all three have huge, and fabulous bands, just like we do at SDSU) in those much bigger and much busier stadiums make it onto the field for the half, play their show, and are back in place to play the entire second half exactly like they did in the first. There is no lull. They never play a recorded version of the fight song in those stadiums like we do at Coughlin for half the third quarter. How do they do it?

Just some observations from other D1 programs. Before you attack me: I love the Pride and have always enjoyed their shows. They're a treasure. OK, now attack me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99

Never realized that, but true!  
                          Granted, it's because they're practicing on their own at the time, but I always liked imagining they were doing it to help us through another series of "Pass Skel". You know, kind of like a guy who has his own theme music.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

the pride rocks. end of story.

Comment

I always got goosebumps during warmups when the pride played that song as they marched into the stadium during pre-game. Don't worry about any criticism you get, the players love the pride witch is kind of cool because a lot of times us "jocks" don't have much respect for the arts. Go Pride!

Comment

Working...
                              X