UC-Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC-Davis

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but here is a good article about the Aggies and their off week from the Davis Enterprise.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/artic...ts/096spt0.txt

Hurting but happy, Ags hit bye

By Michael Mirer/Enterprise staff writer
    Given the level of competition it was to face, many expected UC Davis to be 2-2 after four games. But no one predicted a two-game winning streak heading into its first open week of the season.

The Aggies evened their record Saturday with a 37-7 pasting of Sacramento State. Coupled with the monumental upset at Stanford a week earlier, UCD heads into its break riding high. And with the conference season approaching, the chance to get healthy overrides any worries about the loss of momentum from the past two weeks.

"We're pretty banged up at a couple of positions," UCD quarterback Jon Grant said after Saturday's win. "It will be nice to get some guys healthy and get them back on the field."

That's especially true at running back, as the top three players on the preseason depth chart missed Saturday's game. Incumbent starter Nelson Doris (foot) and backup Marcus Nolan (knee) are both expected to miss considerable time, but the Aggies may have Alex Garfio (leg) back for Oct. 8's game at South Dakota State.

A transfer from Ventura College Garfio leads the team in rushing. He injured his leg during the second quarter of the Stanford game. Redshirt freshman DeMario Warren started against the Hornets Saturday and played well in his first college game.

Also without a timetable for a return is All-American tight end Daniel Fells, who injured his ankle in the win over Stanford.

The Aggie defense got one projected starter back for the Sac State game when Andy Sullivan returned from his three-game suspension for accepting expenses for a pro tryout. The Aggies hope to have free safety Jonathan Barsi and defensive end Pila Fatukala available for South Dakota State.

Barsi injured his back in the season opener and hasn't played since. Fatukala had screws removed from his knee this summer and has been recovering slowly. They would bolster a unit that held both the Hornets and Stanford to less than 200 yards of offense.

During the transition, UCD is not officially included in the national Division I-AA statistics during the transition, but if it were, the defense would be eighth in country in points allowed (13.8 yards per game) and ninth in run defense (71.8 yards per game).  .  .  .

UCD is one of 17 Division I-AA teams still without a converted field goal this season. Among the other schools are perennial powers like Montana, Delaware and Western Illinois. The Aggies are 0-for-5 on the season after Emmanuel Benjamin missed a 42-yarder in the fourth quarter Saturday.  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Re: UC-Davis

When UC Davis comes to town this weekend we will face another highly ranked football team. We have three highly ranked teams within our conference. Then we face another 3 highly ranked teams as non conference opponents. These include Georgia Southern, Montana and Texas State. I am in favor of toning down our non conference schedule somewhat. It is only our second year of I-AA yet our strength of schedule would challange many established programs. At least until we get to the 63 scholarship level. We play Butler in basketball, why not football? What about Drake University? I would rather play Texas Southern than Texas State. We wrestle against Princeton, let us play them in football. Weber State fields a football team . Does Utah Valley State play football, We play them in baseball. Just some ideas to kick around.

Comment

I have always felt the slogan "[glb]TO BE THE BEST - YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE BEST[/glb]" is great for SDSU and its transistion into Division I athletics. I am proud that SDSU is not backing down from highly regarded competition. Sure playing the Valpo's, Drakes, Butler's or other non scholarship teams is good for the ego, but this does not gage SDSU's football program. I want to be a contender in I-AA and not a pretender. That goes with every sport SDSU participates in both men and women. Besides playing teams like Valpo and Butler are good gages for the men's basketball program. I feel it is one of the best recruiting tools for both student-athletes and coaches. Sure this loss to Texas State University was tough but I am proud that we go toe to toe with them and others GSU, UM, Cal Poly etc. It gives the current players the understanding and hopefully the desire to improve their talents and their team. This process will take time but in the same time it is bringing alot of good to the state and the university as a whole. It also shows are level of competitiveness to different regions of the nation with should assist in the search to become a member of a athletic conference(s).
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Auggie Sites:

Offical Football Site:

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.c...otbl-body.html

Fan Board:

http://mb4.scout.com/fbigwestfrm20

Go State! ;D

Comment

Sorry, but being being 0-5 in the conference and pounding little guys in the non-confernce games wouldn't satisfy me much.

We should be going for the DI-AA title just like everyone else.  To get there we have to build our programs with the tough games.

On to Davis:

This game is big for many reasons:

1. 3 game losing streak
          2. last years embarassing loss
          3. Conference game - conference title is still possible
          4. SF game, showing the new product to the new fans, recuits (first time for DI football in SF?)
          5. The next big game (GA Southern) isn't until the 29th
          6. A loss here would make a winning record really tough, even with the cake games.
          7. Beating a team that beat Stanford is always nice
          8. A solid performance by Kardoes would quiet that critisim

That being said, I'm optimistic for a close game and a Jackrabbit win.  Also exited for the short drive

Comment

Do you guys have any idea what type of crowd to expect for the game in Sioux Falls? Has there been any sort of advertising or marketing done in Sioux Falls to promote the game?

Comment

I don't know what kind of attendance to expect, but there was a color insert in the Sunday Argus Leader promoting the game.

Comment

I have heard adds for the game on KWSN.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Pending weather I would hope it would be 10-14,000.  Tough to gage, but I know there are a lot of people that haven't made a game in Brookings yet that will be there, and I'm sure all the hard-core fans will be there as well.  We are only talking about 50 minutes from Brookings.

I'm also hoping for a more exitable crowd. The folks that sit on their hands should be more spread out Howard Wood and hopefully will be a more youthful crowd. I would also expect them to have a video screen at the game, such as they had in CAS before the new board.

Comment

The stadium seats 10,000 and don't think they will allow or want people to stand/sit outside the endzones as it is considerably more distance than at Coughlin. I would be very dissapointed if we don't get 10,000 in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Count me in!!!!! ;D

GO JACKS... BEAT UC DAVIS...

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                        The stadium seats 10,000 and don't think they will allow or want people to stand/sit outside the endzones as it is considerably more distance than at Coughlin.  I would be very dissapointed if we don't get 10,000 in Sioux Falls.

I don't see them turning people away. The views may be bad, but I see additional seating in place, I hope. But I could be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                          Pending weather I would hope it would be 10-14,000.  Tough to gage, but I know there are a lot of people that haven't made a game in Brookings yet that will be there, and I'm sure all the hard-core fans will be there as well.  We are only talking about 50 minutes from Brookings.

I'm also hoping for a more exitable crowd.  The folks that sit on their hands should be more spread out Howard Wood and hopefully will be a more youthful crowd.   I would also expect them to have a video screen at the game, such as they had in CAS before the new board.
                          In fairness to the "folks that sit on their hands," I sit among them and they do cheer when something happens on the field. They're just not so great at cheering for atmosphere's sake. But I do think you're right about spreading people around. It's all general admission, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                            In fairness to the "folks that sit on their hands," I sit among them and they do cheer when something happens on the field. They're just not so great at cheering for atmosphere's sake. But I do think you're right about spreading people around. It's all general admission, I believe.
                            There is a "reserved" section for those who purchased season tickets and then tickets for this game. The vast majority are GA.

Can we BYOB to the stadium for the pre-game?
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good luck this week. I agree that to be the best you have to play the best. You have a good start playing in the GWFC. I think SDSU is on their way to being top team in I-AA. The one thing you hear from the teams you play is that SDSU is a "tough" well coached team. With additional scholarsips to improve depth, improved facilities and better I-AA recruits I see a very bright future for the Jacks. Once again good luck this week with UCD and the rest of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X