No announcement yet.

Will SDSU and USD gridders meet again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will SDSU and USD gridders meet again?

Here's a link to an article from the USD student newspaper, the Volante., based on an interview with Ted Thoms of Sioux Falls and his efforts to try to get the Jacks and the Coyotes on the football field:

http://www.volanteonline.com/media/p...ml?mkey=545982

While that notion may give some a warm, fuzzy feeling, it seems to me that our direction is definitely away from that. We have to keep scheduling D-1AA or D-1A teams and I think it'll be a number of years before anyone would think again about scheduling the Coyotes.

Well, it's an interesting story and you can't blame Mr. Thoms for trying. It sounds like he's willing to put up his own money and I applaud the effort.

Now, some of you more rabid posters have to avoid the temptation to use this information to rip on the Coyotes...they're in the past and we're on a new course.

Re: Will SDSU and USD gridders meet again?

a followup thought:

I got a chuckle out of the comment suggesting the ball is now in SDSU's court. It's like a taunt and I think that should be ignored. Also, the comment about having support from everyone at USD...well why not, what do they have to lose?! I could even claim that I support the idea (I don't) but the fact is, as stated by USD's athletic director, SDSU's move to D-1 would be hampered by scheduling D-II teams.

It's an interesting idea that just won't work.

(Now I expect some Coyote fan to start calling "chicken" and if and when they do, I will refer them to their own Athletic Director for a factual response.)

Comment

Oh the young and naive, how much they have to learn. Its fun to watch them struggle and the best part is when reality dawns. I suspect Mr. Thoms is struggling a bit with the reality that USD is falling behind.

I would expect no less during this "high" time for USD FB. As the JD said, we have nothing to gain except maybe some cash from the gate. In reality USD has nothing to gain. If bragging rights are the motive, well thats just foolish.

When we were in the little leagues I remember saying, "I wish we could get a shot at some of these DI teams, I know we could give them a game." Well guess what, last year the institution that is SDSU took that ball and ran with it. Now we compete with DI teams and soon that will be exclusive.

Where not volunteering scenarios or attempting to remedy an inferiority complex at the expense of our own pride. We doing what some at USD might want to do, competing against the highest level.

Its ironic, saying you're not ready/don't need or want to be DI and than asking when you can come over and play. Mr. Thoms, we're doing it, you can't, thats tough to handle but you had better get use to it.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hahahahahha! That's a funny story!

DI schools don't play DII schools on neutral sites!

Why doesn't USD get their deep pocket alums to underwrite their move to DI and we will be glad to do a home and away with them anytime.

Double the big money!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Wow, that guy is a dreamer. Good for him though. With out lofty goals what would he have to work toward. Why not put your efforts into a fruitless endeavor rather than for some good. Why not pledge your $10,000 and get nine of your friends to do the same to endow a scholarship at the U. Just a thought.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

WTF, when will SDSU be bowl eligible? ??? ??? ??? ???
            One of the drawbacks Nielsen said was SDSU's drive to be classified as a Division I-A school, which may be hindered if SDSU continues to play Division II schools such as USD. But Nielsen believes the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks in the scenario

This "idea" is nearly as asinine as UND's coach trying to get a NDSU/UND game in Minneapolis. : : : : : : :

Comment

i honestly dont think that playing USD would be too horrible as all of you are making it sound. even if it was at howard wood or some neutral site. i think we are being big babies by saying "wow, since were a division higher were not going to play you." why dont we just scratch all that out and say. "ok you want to play, lets dance." and shut the stupid coyotes up once and for all. and finally prove who is ,and is going to be "South Dakotas Team"

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34
                ...why dont we just scratch all that out and say. "ok you want to play, lets dance." and shut the stupid coyotes up once and for all. and finally prove who is ,and is going to be "South Dakotas Team"
                And the answer to your question: Read what USD's athletic director said---it would be harmful to SDSU's upward mobility.

Comment

Hey, Bisonguy...if we all wanted to be a little devious, it would be fun to have NDSU ignore UNDII but schedule USDII and, similarly, have SDSU ignore USDII but schedule UNDII.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                    Hey, Bisonguy...if we all wanted to be a little devious, it would be fun to have NDSU ignore UNDII but schedule USDII and, similarly, have SDSU ignore USDII but schedule UNDII.

ROFLMAO- That would hilarious, although I doubt either of the lower division schools would do it. Augie and Mankato were the only NCC schools that I know of that wanted to continue to play NDSU and SDSU after they left the NCC.

If a DI-AA plays a DII team, the DI-AA pays the DII a fair guarantee and the game is played at the DI-AA's home stadium.

Comment

There are several things that need to be understood here:

1) We offered to play USD at Brookings (it was there turn to come up here) and then play them at the neutral field (Howard Wood) the following year (which would have been this year). The Yotes AD turned it down and instead they scheduled Upper Iowa in our place.

2) Now that water is over the dam, there is one another fact: SDSU will not play a Division II team on a neutral field nor at their own field ever again. It's a fact of life when you move up to D-1.

3) SDSU would play USD at home any season that the Yotes decided they wanted to play us again...but not out of Brookings... see 2) above.

4) If USD wants to move up to D-1 (and there isn't even a remote possibility of that given there current financial condition -- there still raising money to pay off the new roof on the dome), the neutral field once-a-year BIG game would work fine.

5) This has nothing to do with this subject, but was raised on another part of the board: Capacity crowd at the dome is about 7000-7500 if they packed in every available seat. The claims of 9000+ are just absolute crap, but do fit the modus operandi that the U has used for years to try to make it look like they were keeping up with their counterparts. It may not be illegal, but it is certainly immoral.

Finally, I agree with one of the other posts...USD is in the past...it was nice knowing you. If you want to get in the real game with SDSU, we can talk turkey at that time!

Comment

The mention of Thoms and his offer of $100,000.00 came up once before. It was either here or over on the Argus forum.  Thanks to the Volente article we get to the substance of this offer. Thoms himself has only 10,000 bucks to offer and he needs 9 more people who are willing to put 10k on their credit cards in order to get $100,000.

I believe 89 rabbit responded to this generous offer mentioned over on the Argus forums with the article that outlined the financial difficulties at USD.

It was suggested by 89 rabbit, and I agree, that Thoms donate the $100,000 directly to USD so they could straighten out their budget problems.

I support the JR club with a monthly donation. Would I put 10k on credit card just to see a SDSU-USD match at HWF? No thanks, I will not let emotions over take my personal decisions that involve my money.

I dont know Ted Thoms but did a web search and here is his web page:

http://www.thomsco.com/index.html

I will let others make their own judgement to see how much substance this offer has. He could be an otherwise quiet guy with money to burn.

Comment

Working...
                        X