SDSU not NDSU rival????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU not NDSU rival????

I almost feel out of my chair when I read that NDSU doesn't have a Rival. Apparently some people that are associated with NDSU have very short memories. For them, let me offer up a little reminder- SDSU 24 - NDSU 21.

Highlights from a Fargo Forum story (sub site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm...p;id=D8CNJH1O4

Montana State coach likes prospect of border rivalry
    By DAVE KOLPACK Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press - Monday, September 19, 2005

FARGO, N.D.

North Dakota State has been a team without a rival since the Bison jumped to Division I-AA football two years ago. Montana State would like to help fill the void.

The Bison travel to Bozeman, Mont., this weekend to play the Bobcats for the first time since 1980. Montana State head coach Mike Kramer wants to make NDSU an annual opponent.

"Hopefully, the NCAA will allow everybody to put in a 12th game, which would allow this game to continue," Kramer said Monday. . . .

This needs to go up on the bulletin board inside the Jacks locker-room. >

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison - again! >

Re: SDSU not NDSU rival????

This is for sure fuel for the NDSU game.

To go up to Fargo and beat the Bison again would leave no doubt and would bring even more of their fans down in 06.

Comment

Good to see that most NDSU fans don't feel like the guy who wrote the story:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1127231809

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Dave Kolpack must not have read the ESPN on-line poll!

Comment

Teams can and do have multiple rivalries. Iowa has rivalries with Iowa State and Minnesota, Minnesota has big rivalries with Iowa and Wisconsin, and so on. NDSU - Montana State may become a full-blown rivalry. But it is easy to mistake a big game for a rivalry. In a rivalry game, it doesn't matter what the records are. Take Iowa - Minnesota for example. Even if one team has hit the skids, it still is a big game because it is the Gophers vs. the Hawkeyes.

If Montana State were to become a cellar dweller, this burgeoning (never used that word before) rivalry could fade away before ever getting solidly established. Your best rivalries are usually conference rivals.

Comment

Probably an innocent oversight by Dave Kolpack. Give this a few more years and this will be State's most intense rivalry. It is only logical.

Echoing Rodentia, consider Michigan. While Michigan State is intensely disliked, no hatred in Ann Arbor comes close to what is leveled at Ohio State. O how I hate Ohio State...All this and then also the competition for the Little Brown Jug with the Gophers.

Comment

There is a whole lot bigger issue here and thats a sustained feeling of loss regarding the rivalry with UND. Bison fans and more importantly, casual observers of college athletics in ND base oppostition to the move to DI almost exclusively on the loss of the UND/NDSU rivalry. Not real progressive thinking on their parts but a reality in the Dakotas.

SDSU/NDSU have a rivalry and that will only strengthen over the coming years. Its no suprise Kolpack can't see that.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree NDSU is turning into a great rival, I just hope it doesn't turn into one of hate like SDSU/USD and NDSU/UND became. I think now its more like a brother rivalry as we're both moving up together, cheering for each other, and respecting each other. Of course we still want to beat the crap out of each other when we play, but shake hands and look forward to the next game when its all said and done. Makes for alot more fun tailgating on gameday!

Comment

Much of the hatred between SDSU/USD and the ND schools stems from different (real and/or perceived) demographics/socioeconomics at the respective institutions.

Given that the SUs are land-grant universities with very similar academic programs, one would think that the viciousness that characterizes the former in-state rivalries would not be present in this budding relationship with NDSU. But I disagree. Give it time. It may not reach the vehemence of hatred spewn at the Coyotes, but I bet that it will be hot nonetheless.

Comment

One thing I've noticed with DI-AA football is the type of fans involved. They are hardcore fans and are knowledgeble and for the most part friendly.

I think the Montana/Montana ST rivalry is one of the biggest/best in DI-AA and I see it as a respectable one. I've been really impressed with most, if not all the other fans I've seen in person and on the message boards, even between those two schools.

Also I think we are finally in our own element at the DI level. I've always felt were in a class above the rest of the DII group. I'm sure all you fellow Jacks fans agree and I don't need to go on....

Comment

Jacks99

I think you are correct. While visiting with and tailgating with the Montana fans, they were very knowledgeable about our team, they had done ther homework and were interested and polite. During the game they were some of the loudest and best fans I had ever seen. I hope someday we can be as vocal as them...

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

The NDSU/SDSU rivalry will never be the same as the NDSU/UND rivalry, which isn't a bad thing. The rivalry will more than likely never extended beyond the field, or end up in places such as the state legislature.

Once a conference home is found for the remainder of our respective univerities sports, I believe the rivalry will move to the next level. The need for the cooperative act will be over, but I'm sure a feeling of mutual respect will remain, especially given the similarity of the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
                          The NDSU/SDSU rivalry will never be the same as the NDSU/UND rivalry, which isn't a bad thing. The rivalry will more than likely never extended beyond the field, or end up in places such as the state legislature.

Once a conference home is found for the remainder of our respective univerities sports, I believe the rivalry will move to the next level. The need for the cooperative act will be over, but I'm sure a feeling of mutual respect will remain, especially given the similarity of the schools.
                          ++ bisonguy. I always have always will hate und2 not just in sports but for all the condescending self righteous crap they spew all over the state. On the other hand, I just want to kick jackrabbit butt a couple times a year. Other than that Go Jackrabbits!
                          ;D

Comment

Originally posted by BisBison
                            On the other hand, I just want to kick jackrabbit butt a couple times a year.
                            ;D
                            This is something you haven't experienced much in the last year

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
                              This is truly a rivalry regardless of what people think, We havent won up there in  a long time, but we have won the last few here at home, UI think is how a rivalry starts,

W/USD we kicked their ass all the time, you need to win a few to make it a rivalry....
                              I totally agree. You guys have won a couple at your place which gets your side fired up, and when we lose to you in games we think we should have won, it get NDSU fans thinking that we can't take you guys lightly anymore. Now more than ever, people on both sides think that it is going to be a competative game no matter what the records are for either side. I feel that is an important benchmark in a rivalry, when you can throw out the records and each side plays each other hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X