USF football stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USF football stadium

Here is an article from the Argus about USF's new football stadium. http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...41/1002/SPORTS
    Sounds like it should be nice. I wonder if we would have a shot at getting a corporate sponsor for the East grandstands at CAS. I aslo wonder how much the stadium is going to cost USF. Might be a good measuring stick for how much we would need to raise.

Re: USF football stadium

All I know is you can't build much of a stadium for $3.2 million these days. Willie Sanchez sounds like quite a dreamer when he talks about hosting NFL exhibition and major league soccer games at the USF stadium. The USF site talks about spending $3 million on the entire USF "Faith-Based" Athletic Complex.

Seriously, unless they find another $15 million or so, it's not going to be much of a stadium, or much of a "complex". Please note that our scoreboards alone cost $3 million.

Comment

They have shown drawings and its a nice basic facility. Nothin to fancy. I have not seen anything about NFL exhibitions in the media. I say more power to them its a good program. Im not sure why people on this site keep talking about other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
         Im not sure why people on this site keep talking about other programs.  

well, there was no jackrabbit game this weekend. so we gotta have somthing to talk about.

Comment

You have to admit that for a small Baptist College, now taking on ambitious plans is something worthy of mention.  I believe both AD and President are ambitious and looking to find financial partners in Sioux Falls. So far they have found one in Sioux Valley. As a older person who anticipates health costs in the future, its kind of dishearting to to see a health provider hand out 3.2 million for a football staduim.  Sioux Valley has also helped USD with the scoreboard.  Where does that gift money come from?

It most likely comes from the taxpayers in the form of paying higher Medicare costs and from the patients who come to Sioux Valley for health care needs.

I know Jackmd will chime in on this one, but I do wonder how they do justify giving this money away instead of reinvesting it in providing better health care at a lower cost. Advertizing their services? Maybe.

I suppose Sioux Valley is very much a tax payer like you and me and this may be their way of excercising their option of donating to a 501 (c) entity instead of paying taxes directly to the fed. This is something I have been doing for decades, so maybe I better shut my mouth. :-X  

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
            I have not seen anything about NFL exhibitions in the media.  
            Read the Argus story linked at the start of this thread and you'll find something about NFL exhibitions in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
              You have to admit that for a small Baptist College, now taking on ambitious plans is something worthy of mention.  I believe both AD and President are ambitious and looking to find financial partners in Sioux Falls. So far they have found one in Sioux Valley. As a older person who anticipates health costs in the future, its kind of dishearting to to see a health provider hand out 3.2 million for a football staduim.  Sioux Valley has also helped USD with the scoreboard.  Where does that gift money come from?

It most likely comes from the taxpayers in the form of paying higher Medicare costs and from the patients who come to Sioux Valley for health care needs.

I know Jackmd will chime in on this one, but I do wonder how they do justify giving this money away instead of reinvesting it in providing better health care at a lower cost. Advertizing their services? Maybe.

I suppose Sioux Valley is very much a tax payer like you and me and this may be their way of excercising their option of donating to a 501 (c) entity instead of paying taxes directly to the fed. This is something I have been doing for decades, so maybe I better shut my mouth. :-X  
              I ask the same thing about a non-profit buisness that has to advertise so much. However, there are way too many issues with these hospitals and heath care in general to even start discussing here.

Guess we should just be happy they are supporting the Universities. (Avera ads at SDSU)

Comment

I don't think 3.2 million is the cost for the whole complex, but rather the gift that put them over the top to proceed ahead of schedule with construction. USF is the sleeping giant that is coming alive.

Comment

Ultimately, $3.2 million is not really that much for naming rights to a stadium. Compare that to the Jacks spending $3 million on scoreboards alone.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    USF is the sleeping giant that is coming alive.
                    Maybe a sleeping groundhog.

Comment

I assume what everyone is saying here is the 3.2 million will come out of the Sioux Valley advertising budget over a period of time. It is as Jack99 many issues involved.  It seems like Sioux Valley was to be part of the SDSU Wellness Center at one time, but this project has been work in progress for 10 years now so its hard to tell what is going on. The way it was explained was that the student health facility or clinic would be part of the Wellness center. I do believe that was before all the plans were scaled down considerably.

Comment

I don't think 3.2 million is the cost for the whole complex, but rather the gift that put them over the top to proceed ahead of schedule with construction. USF is the sleeping giant that is coming alive.
                        The number I have heard thrown around was that the seating capitcity of the staduim would be about 6000 and I keep thinking a number of $6 million as a total cost was out there too, but could easily be wrong on that point. It could be much more.

Comment

Hmmm. USF's site says it's a $3 million "Faith-Based" Athletic Complex. Whether it's a $3 million complex or a $15 million or $20 million complex is kind of a big issue here, and our friends at the Argus completely failed to ask the question.

Comment

This project has been discussed in the Argus over the past couple of years and like all projects is evolving. Looking at some of the old news stories as well as the new, the proposal a year ago was for a 6000 seat stadium, and practice fields for several sports with a price tag of about $12,000,000. With the recent donation which is for naming rights, I think thye have probably come to realize that they can raise more money than they expected sooner than they expected. As a result, the project is probably becoming more ambitious.

If you have watched what USF has done over the last few years, it is rather amazing. A few years ago, they were half the size of Augie or less, now they are only about 100 students less in headcount. Their teams have been very successful in their division and they are currently adding wrestling to the mix. They view athletics as a major opportunity for growth.

You may also remember, that it was USF and their President Benedetto who supported SDSU's move to Divsion I when all other local colleges and universities opposed us. Dr. Bennedetto either testified at the hearing in Sioux Falls or sent a letter of support or perhaps both. USF has been a good friend to SDSU in recent years. I would not under estimate the planning or ability to accomplish goals of either their AD Willie Sanchez or their President Mark Benedetto.

You may remember that Bennedetto is the outgoing Chamber of Commerce President in Sioux Falls and is therefore very well connected to the business community. You may also remember Willie Sanchez as a college basketball referee. He used to ref in the NCC and later in a major DI conference, I think the Big 10.

Comment

There is an editorial about the stadium in the Argus today, http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...510180302/1052.

It states, "The money is needed. The complex - with two turf fields and one grass field, a track and fieldhouse with locker and training rooms, meeting rooms, weight room and athletic offices - is expected to cost about $13.4 million."

On a side note, does anybody know how many seats the West side has at CAS? I believe it is around 7,000, but I'm not sure. I know our capacity is listed at 16,000, which is possible, but I think that if there is 12,000 or more the stadium is basically full. I think if we could add about 8,000 seats to the East side we would have a great set up and plenty of seating for the immediate future. I imagine we could do this for about the same cost as USF's new stadium. Just some thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X