Future schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future schedules

Not sure if this has been said, but on sport's talk with Craig and Mike, Stig just said that Montana is on the schedule for 2 more years, plus they have signed both UNI and Deleware to play in future years(not sure when those years are).

Re: Future schedules

Coach also said they hope to be at 57 scholarships next year which would allow us to play D-IA teams in three years.

Comment

"To be the best you gotta play the best."

Montana, Northern Iowa and Delaware are among the cream of the I-AA crop. And, I'm sure we owe UNI for something, somewhere along the line from the old NCC days.

Good job, Stig!
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Very nice teams to have locked in for the coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          "To be the best you gotta play the best."

Montana, Northern Iowa and Delaware are among the cream of the I-AA crop.  And, I'm sure we owe UNI for something, somewhere along the line from the old NCC days.

Good job, Stig!
          I was a student when SDSU last won the NCC three years in a row 1961-62-63. We did not have to worry about the Bison then. The two big games those years where UNI and UND. NDSU had to battle Augie and USD to get out of the basement. Things changed dramaticly up north from 1964 and on.

There was a SDSU connection at UNI back in the 1940-1950's. One of SDSU fine stars by the name of Buck Starbuck had a whale of program at UNI and won something like 20 straight NCC games. Buck died of a heart attack about 1954 so I watch one of his teams when they came to Brookings. It was a frost cold night at Old State Field, and the UNI guys wore what looked like Sheep skin caps or coats.
          I dont have a media guide handy, but I suspect the last time SDSU played UNI was probably 1978 or 1979. So it will be good to renew that series.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
            Coach also said they hope to be at 57 scholarships next year which would allow us to play D-IA teams in three years.
            This is such a key point that I wonder if anyone can confirm it. I know that Fred Oien said they want to get there asap. I know that Stig said they hope to be there. What are the chances that they'll actually get there? That would be a significant change in the schedule to get to 63. Anyone have any more information on this?

Comment

The department and the administration are trying to determine if there is a way to move to 57 ASAP (like next year) so as to get the two years in and qualify for scheduling 1-A teams.

Four 1-A teams have offered games with guarantees ranging from $250,000 to $500,000 as soon as we can set the year when we will have had two years at 57 scholarships and are qualified to play the D-1's.

Trying to accomplish eveything at once is very difficult with the money available and the emphasis will be on ways to raise the bucks to move to the 57.

If they figure out a way to get there...everybody will know about the decision at that time. The decision will have to be made in time for football to know the recruiting plan.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                T

Four 1-A teams have offered games with guarantees ranging from $250,000 to $500,000
                Do you know what 4 schools have offered. It would be nice to play a big name school that isn't going to demolish us. {Examples Baylor, Indiana, Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell

Do you know what 4 schools have offered. It would be nice to play a big name school that isn't going to demolish us. {Examples Baylor, Indiana, Washington.
                  The problem with playing those types of IA schools is that you don't get the 500k gaurantees, which is the whole reason for playing IA teams in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell

What is the exact concern about getting demolished? Especially while we aren't playoff eligible?
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Demolished like Nebraska demolished Maine this year, maybe?

I'll take that kind of demolished any year.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Michigan 55 Eastern Michigan 0

EMU got $415,000. Travel expenses virtually nil as the two schools are about 7 miles apart.

415K would buy a lot of scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
                          Michigan 55  Eastern Michigan 0

EMU got $415,000.  Travel expenses virtually nil as the two schools are about 7 miles apart.

Are you thinking about the big picture again? Stop that. I'd rather schedule Upper Iowa, Valpo, UNC, Weber St, etc, and win all our non-conference games than cash a 400K check. The more meaningless wins the better. (sarcasm)

Keep your eyes open. There are good losses and bad losses just like there good wins and bad wins. Whats better, a win over Valpo or a loss vs. U of Nebraska? I'd say the latter, no contest, hands down.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
                            Michigan 55  Eastern Michigan 0

EMU got $415,000.  Travel expenses virtually nil as the two schools are about 7 miles apart.

You have to think in terms of an endowment, not just dollars. If you put $415,000 in an endowment, it would kick off something like $10,000 to $15,000 a year, depending on the performance of the annuities. That would basically buy one or one-and-one-half scholarships, but that money would be there every year.

Comment

I wonder how much Cal-Davis got to go to Stanford and beat up on the Cardinal?
                              When the 1AA team goes to play the 1A team anything can (and does) happen.
                              I hope we can get to 57 ASAP!!

Comment

Working...
                              X