I-A games for SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-A games for SDSU

Chris Solari wrote a story on this topic in today's paper but it didn't make it to the online version of the Argus.  Here are the highlights.

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

BROOKINGS - Athletic Director Fred Oien said Wednesday that South Dakota State is in the negotiation process with three Division I-A schools for a future football game.
    Oien did not name the schools, but rumors have been circulating recently that they include Nebraska and Minnesota. North Dakota State has been actively pursuing a game with the Gophers.
    Oien said SDSU stands to earn between $400,000 to $600,000 for each game against a I-A school.
    With changes in NCAA legislation that added a 12th game to I-A schedules, a burden on SDSU was lifted. Teams at the I-AA level must now only average 57 scholarships over a two-year span to play a I-A school and have it count toward the major school's bowl rankings.
    Schools in I-AA previously had to average 60 scholarships over three years to get a game with a major I-A school. SDSU, in its second year at the I-AA level, offers 42 scholarships this year.
    "What that means to us is that we're going to get to that 57 ASAP," Oien said.

This is great news.  Not only that SDSU is looking at a major pay day, but that we may be accelerating our build up of scholarships.  It is a great time to be a Jackrabbit!  8)

Go State!  ;D

Re: I-A games for SDSU

Chris Solari was at the Jackrabbit Club on Wednesday. When I asked a question about his prior article on scholarships,  the comments by coach Stig prompted Dr Oien to mention these negiotations. I saw the print issue this morning and it was sort of a small insert and appeared to be a real last minute news item.

Judging by the way the article was handled and the fact that Chris was present the JC meeting, this may have been news even to Chris.

I got to meet Chris and he seems to be a great guy and hardly the biased monster I thought he was when Augie pulled that upset on SDSU maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The writing of that story did not set well with me as I recall, but Chris has done a good job since. He seems to work very closely with Sports Information at SDSU and thats what we want and appreciate. ;D

Comment

Interesting article about Eastern Michigan University and their recent athletic struggles. Of particular note is the $415,000 they received last Saturday for their 55-0 pounding at Michigan. The butt-kicking aside, not a bad paycheck for a 10 minute bus ride. Also, all last season, football gate receipts were only $130,000 out of a total athletic budget of $2.8 million.

The hospital at which I worked during my Ann Arbor stint is right across the street from Rynearson Stadium. It is a really beautiful facility. Sadly, EMU has to compete with U of M and has been unable to find decent attendance numbers. I knew countless people who had UM football/basketball season tickets but never heard of anyone that I knew attending even one EMU game.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/i...xml&coll=2

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
         Also, all last season, football gate receipts were only $130,000 out of a total athletic budget of $2.8 million.
        Wow, that budget is "Savannah State" small.  SDSU's athletic budget was $6.5 million last season and we are still building up our scholarships.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I have heard Wyoming is a real possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            Chris Solari wrote a story on this topic in today's paper but it didn't make it to the online version of the Argus.  Here are the highlights.

Chris Solari
            csolari@argusleader.com

BROOKINGS - Athletic Director Fred Oien said Wednesday that South Dakota State is in the negotiation process with three Division I-A schools for a future football game.
            Oien did not name the schools, but rumors have been circulating recently that they include Nebraska and Minnesota. North Dakota State has been actively pursuing a game with the Gophers.
            Oien said SDSU stands to earn between $400,000 to $600,000 for each game against a I-A school.
            With changes in NCAA legislation that added a 12th game to I-A schedules, a burden on SDSU was lifted. Teams at the I-AA level must now only average 57 scholarships over a two-year span to play a I-A school and have it count toward the major school's bowl rankings.
            Schools in I-AA previously had to average 60 scholarships over three years to get a game with a major I-A school. SDSU, in its second year at the I-AA level, offers 42 scholarships this year.
            "What that means to us is that we're going to get to that 57 ASAP," Oien said.

This is great news.  Not only that SDSU is looking at a major pay day, but that we may be accelerating our build up of scholarships.  It is a great time to be a Jackrabbit!  8)

Go State!  ;D
            Those numbers seem a little high IMO. I read somewhere that Minnesota will not pay a guarantee over $250k, even for another I-A team. Montana received $450k from Oregon this yea(including $50k to buyout the contract for the game Montana already had scheduled). $200k-400k seems a little more realistic.

Comment

I agree. They sound a little inflated.

Comment

Only one problem with this...Nebraska does offer as a minimum usually...$500,000.00.

Average makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                  Only one problem with this...Nebraska does offer as a minimum usually...$500,000.00.

Average makes a difference.
                  The University of Maine received $350,000 for playing Nebraska this year. $500k is more likely for a mid-major I-A team.

If Oien can get a $600k I-A guarantee, more power to him, but I'm doubtful it will happen.

Comment

I REALLY hate to say it, but if SDSU plays NEBRASKA... I WILL be at the game, but I most likely will be wearing SCARLET and CREAM! :-[

Comment

NDSU's President Chapman announced today that NDSU is close to announcing a date for NDSU vs. Minnesota in football. I very good day for us indeed. I think we are really seeing our high scholarships numbers pay off in terms of being able to schedule the big dogs for big payoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonmike
                        NDSU's President Chapman announced today that NDSU is close to announcing a date for NDSU vs. Minnesota in football.  I very good day for us indeed.  I think we are really seeing our high scholarships numbers pay off in terms of being able to schedule the big dogs for big payoffs.
                        Congrats to the Bison!

Comment

Working...
                        X