Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Story "SDSU beats Missouri-Rolla"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...510230347/1002

I don't see this posted yet.......some great pictures on the Aregus web site.

SDSU beats Missouri-Rolla, but loses Kardoes to an ankle injury

CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 10/23/05

BROOKINGS -- "Luck of the Hobos" was the theme for South Dakota State's homecoming Saturday.

Instead, the misfortune of Andy Kardoes stole the spotlight.

SDSU lost its starting quarterback to an ankle injury on the first drive of the game and struggled early against Missouri-Rolla before the Jackrabbits' running game took over in a 64-28 victory at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

"I just have the worst luck," said a clearly downtrodden Kardoes, who was on crutches and rode in a golf cart to get back to the locker room after the game.

Three Jackrabbit backs - Cory Koenig, Anthony Watson and Trevor Hohn - combined for 462 of the school-record 567 rushing yards. It broke the old mark of 532 set in 1952 against Augustana. SDSU (4-3) also set a new record for total offense with 689 yards, topping 1999's 682-yard performance against Wayne State.

"It's been happening all year," said Koenig, who scored two times but twisted his ankle in the third quarter and came out of the game. "I don't think (the offensive linemen) get enough credit. As long as we run hard, it's there."

Still, it was Kardoes' ankle that was on most people's minds after the game. The junior, who has battled a high-ankle sprain all season, did not play after twisting it on the first series of the game. He was left standing on the sideline, putting no pressure on the foot as he mechanically moved up and down the sideline.

Kardoes, who served as a pallbearer at his grandmother's funeral Friday in Iowa, said he would have an MRI today to determine if there is ligament damage. It's unclear whether he will be able to play next week against Georgia Southern.

"He has as strong a passion for this game and South Dakota State football as I've seen in a young man," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "I'm sure he's hurting inside more than any of us know."

Most of the 14,503 late-arriving fans were probably asking themselves why redshirt freshman Ryan Berry was under center instead of Kardoes when they settled in their seats. With SDSU ahead 3-0, Berry entered on the second drive and looked shaky to start, but led the Jacks to a score. Koenig eventually slipped through a few defenders' hands, then stretched his way into the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown.

Berry finished the game 8-of-14 for 77 yards and a touchdown and had 44 yards on the ground before giving way to Reed Burckhardt in the third quarter when SDSU had built a 17-point lead. Burckhardt also played well, going 4-for-8 for 45 yards and two TDs, one passing and one rushing.

"We knew we had to be ready to play, because Andy's been kind of banged up all year," said Berry, a Watertown High product. "It was just a matter of time when he would go down and have to come out of the game."

The Miners (5-3) kept in the game throughout the first half thanks to quarterback Evan Gray. The senior tore apart the SDSU secondary for 335 yards on 27-of-46 passing with four TDs. After going into halftime trailing just 24-14, Gray's 77-yard touchdown to receiver Ashton Gronewald on the third play of the second half pulled UM-R within 24-21 and silenced the crowd.

"We went back into the locker room and tried to assure them the scenario for the upset was there," Miners coach Kirby Cannon said. "As long as you have the ability to throw the football and be competitive that way, you still have a chance to win."

But SDSU's defense recovered with a vengeance, not allowing the Miners out of their own territory until the Jackrabbits had built a 57-21 cushion behind the battering-ram tandem of Koenig and Watson.

Koenig finished with 184 yards on 15 carries, and Watson had 11 carries for 117 yards and two TDs. Hohn, who entered late in the game, had a 64-yard touchdown late and another 73-yard run to finish with 164 yards on six tries.

Perennial Division I-AA title contender Georgia Southern will visit Brookings next week, a year after demolishing SDSU 63-7 in Statesboro, Ga.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Working...
X