Missouri-Rolla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri-Rolla

Know much about our opponent for Hobo Day?

SDSU has played U of Missouri-Rolla just once, that was in 1972 when John -- his players called him "Diesel" --Gregory's "Rabbits opened up a can on the Miners and whipped them 49-0 at Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

I was there. A 'Rabbit named Lynn Boden, when he wanted to hit, made Rolla's line look like bowling pins with Boden scoring a strike. [That season, the Jacks also met Youngstown State University, quarterbacked by a guy named Ron Jaworski: SDSU 34, Youngstown 22.]

The Rolla Miners have a mascot who appears to be the twin brother to SD Tech's mascot (well, at least the guy's first cousin). Rolla is Missouri's technical university, producing engineers of all types and having majors focused on the sciences. The student enrollment is about 5,800 and of that number, about 3,800 are undergraduate students. Rolla, Missouri is about 100 miles southwest of St. Louis. [Nice area: Ozarks foothills.]

The Miners are in their transition year to NCAA D-II and are 5-2 going into this weekend. The last time the school had five football wins was 1994. They're led by Kirby Cannon now in his seventh season. Rolla's wins this season have been against Upper Iowa (26-18); Central Methodist (43-18); Wayne State, NE (22-21); Peru State (NE) 34-0 and Southwestern Oklahoma State (209). Losses are to St. Joseph of Renssalaer, Indiana (23-28) and Southwest Baptist (38-40).

Key player to watch: #46, Keenan Miller from St. Louis. Miller is a 6-0, 235 lb senior running back who has attained the seventh-highest career yardage production at Rolla with 1,664 including 142 yards on 31 carries last weekend against SW Ok State.

Our biggest problem will be the temptation to be thinking about games which follow the Rolla contest. If we buckle down and play hard, I predict a game in which we control the field of battle and all aspects of the game...much like Valpo. If the starters get down to work right away, everybody gets experience in this game.

Prediction: SDSU 38, UM-Rolla 7.

Re: Missouri-Rolla

I see an 8 followed by an ending parenthesis yields a smiley face.  Here are the correct scores for Rolla's games so far this year

Rolla 26, Upper Iowa 18
    Rolla 43, Central Methodist 18
    Rolla 22, Wayne State (NE) 21
    Rolla 34, Peru State 0
    St. Joseph's (Renssalaer, IN) 28, Rolla 23
    SW Baptist 40, Rolla 38
    Rolla 20, Southwestern OK State 9

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
      Know much about our opponent for Hobo Day?  

The Miners are in their transition year to NCAA D-II and are 5-2 going into this weekend.  The last time the school had five football wins was 1994.  They're led by Kirby Cannon now in his seventh season.  Rolla's wins this season have been against Upper Iowa (26-18); Central Methodist (43-18); Wayne State, NE (22-21); Peru State (NE) 34-0 and Southwestern Oklahoma State (209).  Losses are to St. Joseph of Renssalaer, Indiana (23-28) and Southwest Baptist (38-40).

Key player to watch:  #46, Keenan Miller from St. Louis.  Miller is a 6-0, 235 lb senior running back who has attained the seventh-highest career yardage production at Rolla with 1,664 including 142 yards on 31 carries last weekend against SW Ok State.  

Our biggest problem will be the temptation to be thinking about games which follow the Rolla contest.  If we buckle down and play hard, I predict a game in which we control the field of battle and all aspects of the game...much like Valpo.  If the starters get down to work right away, everybody gets experience in this game.

Prediction:  SDSU 38, UM-Rolla 7.

JD:
      A very good analysis and thanks for your recollection of the 1972 game. I was not there but lived in Ca. at the time. Lynn Boden was a great player and I did not follow as closely at the time, but Boden is about the only D2 player who has been drafted in the NFL first round.

Rolla has been D2 for quite a few years and competed in the MIAA conference that also includes Northwest Misssouri, Emporia Pittsburgh State to name a few. The MIAA is one of the few D2 conferences who fund 36 scholarships and seems to be dominated in football by NWMSU and PSU, up on until this year. A former PSU assist took over Washburn in Topeka and now is leading the conference with wins over both NWMSU and PSU.

You will note none of the very good MIAA teams are still on the Rolla schedule, only Southwest Baptist, who likewise has struggled. Doug McFadden, who was on the SDSU staff attended Southwest Baptist and played his football there.

Rolla found that they could not compete  in the MIAA and were often the MIAA basement team's along with Southwest Baptist.

Rolla recently dropped out of the MIAA and are playing as an independent I believe.  Their scores to date kind of show that we scheduled this team because they had an open date and no one else with more competitiveness had one.

Steve Emming the voice of the Jacks used to be their voice before coming to WNAX.  When WNAX had their pick game winner's programs on Saturday mornings, Steve used to comment that he never seen a team travel with more textbooks than the Missouri- Rolla team. They no doubt have some real excellent engineering scholars on their team, but I dont think they have physical bodies and training to match the Jacks. The win over Wayne Ne is impressive, but Wayne blew out SWMU over the weekend. (Our former assistant Eric Eidness is struggling in Marshall this year.)  Bottom line there is not a strong team on their schedule other than SDSU.

Agreed, we still need to stay focused and work on our problem areas as a team. Lets not worry about GSU until Monday after Hobo Day.

I am going to go with a blow out of 52-0 SDSU favor and Rolla gets a pay check for coming to Brookings.

Comment

Coach Stig calls off the dogs early in preparation for our guests from Georgia next week.
        SDSU 38
        UM-R 10

Comment

SDSUFAN: you're correct...Rolla is not in transition to D-II but is now a D-II independent.

Comment

SDSU 49
            Rolla 7

Comment

Hi Guys, Im a UMR (missouri-rolla) student who just stumbled onto this board when looking up some stuff for the team i follow, Missouri State.   UMR doesn't have a sports board since we dont have much fan support.

We went winnless for 53 or so games before last year when we won 3 games.  We have won 4-5 this year already so we are on the move upward fast.
              I think we at one point didn't win a confrence game for 6-7 years so thats why we left the MIAA

We are d-2 but play 3 or 4 IAA schools this year which seems wierd since we normally cant beat d2 schools

You guys used to be d2 not to long ago so i dont think it will be a huge blowout but it should be pretty high scoring.  

Our best play ive seen us pull this year was a double reverse on a kick off for a TD.

Comment

Welcome to the board weava, you gonna make it up for the game?

Comment

Here is a link to the UM-R press release:

http://campus.umr.edu/sports/fbnotes.pdf

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by weava
                    Hi Guys, Im a UMR (missouri-rolla) student who just stumbled onto this board when looking up some stuff for the team i follow, Missouri State. UMR doesn't have a sports board since we dont have much fan support.

We went winnless for 53 or so games before last year when we won 3 games. We have won 4-5 this year already so we are on the move upward fast.
                    I think we at one point didn't win a confrence game for 6-7 years so thats why we left the MIAA

We are d-2 but play 3 or 4 IAA schools this year which seems wierd since we normally cant beat d2 schools

You guys used to be d2 not to long ago so i dont think it will be a huge blowout but it should be pretty high scoring.

Our best play ive seen us pull this year was a double reverse on a kick off for a TD.
                    I think you may be unpleasantly surprised, Weava. SDSU has played (and, granted, lost) to some of the best teams in I-AA: Montana, Cal Poly, Texas State. Except for Texas State, we've been in every game because of our defense.

SDSU has an superior defense and an excellent rushing attack. I'd be surprised if the Miners stay within four touchdowns, to be honest. If Rolla can stop the run, it will be tougher for the Rabbits, as they haven't shown any kind of consistent passing attack this year. SDSU's coming off a bye week, and it's the homecoming game (Hobo Day), so there's little chance of a let-down after beating a team that beat Stanford.

I'd guess a final score somewhere around 42-10, Jacks.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                      Here is a link to the UM-R press release:

http://campus.umr.edu/sports/fbnotes.pdf

Go State!  ;D

Okay, check out the link provided by 89Rabbit. Then, check out the following link: http://www.sdsmt.edu/athletics/

Now, are those mascots about the same? Because Rolla is using SDSM&T's mascot, I'm now predicting the following score: SDSU 48, Rolla -3

(3 pt penalty for bad form)

Comment

I think we will come out strong and Stig calls the dogs off early, but not until we work on a few things that have been worked on in practice this week

SDSU 52

Mo Rolla 7

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Worst case scenario, players and fans take Rolla too lightly and aren't focused. Play sloppy and keep Rolla in the game until half. Pull away in the 3rd quarter and win by at least 10.

What I expect, come out fired up and drill a lower division team on our homefield during homecoming. Rolla shouldn't and won't compete.

SDSU 48
                          Rolla 10

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As long as Rolla isn't ever in the game, I don't care about the score. I'd like to see some exiting play by the youngsters, Watson get his big plays back and some back up QB's get some extensive playing time. Not to create a controversy, but to see the future and also because Kardoes is hobbled and could use more rest and they will need to be ready if he gets hurt and has to come out in the future.

Also how many in the stands? Is over 11k too much to expect for great Hobo Day weather?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                              As long as Rolla isn't ever in the game, I don't care about the score.  I'd like to see some exiting play by the youngsters, Watson get his big plays back and some back up QB's get some extensive playing time.  Not to create a controversy, but to see the future and also because Kardoes is hobbled and could use more rest and they will need to be ready if he gets hurt and has to come out in the future.

Also how many in the stands?  Is over 11k too much to expect for great Hobo Day weather?
                              Extended forcast looks like low 50's and sunshine with a few clouds. I think 11K is realistic and >12K is possible. Less than 10K would be disappointing but this is coming from someone who will be listening on WNAX while I finish my patio. Wish I could be in the real "backyard".
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X