COW BELL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COW BELL

I did not grow up in this area but throughout the years i have adopted the jackrabbits as my team. I would like to know where and why the cowbell ringing came about. I like it but i have noticed that in the last years cow bell useage has dropped down is it just me or have others noticed it also.I remember my first couple of games cow bells everywhere now it seems to be a rare sighting to hear or see one .I guess that is why i have taken to the cow bell . It seems to be a fun tradition at SDSU .

Re: COW BELL

Originally posted by were-rabbit
       I did not grow up in this area  but throughout the years i have adopted the jackrabbits as my team. I would like to know where and why the cowbell ringing came about. I like it but i have noticed that in the last  years cow bell useage has dropped down is it just me or have others noticed it also.I remember my first couple of games cow bells everywhere now it seems to be a rare sighting to hear or see one .I guess that is why i have taken to the cow bell . It seems to be a fun tradition at SDSU .
    I like the tradition, and the Christopher Walken connection. It's got nostalgia and it's simultaneously very trendy and hip.

Comment

Any one got their copy of "College on the Hill" handy?

The cow bell tradition was discussed in that book, but I am drawing a blank. One story was that football Buck Starbuck bought a barrell of them during the 1920's and handed them out to fans. I think the book found earlier accounts of the Cow bells.

Agreed Christopher Walken has really help us out and I hope he continues to do that. ;D

Comment

The cowbell tradition was started in the 1920's by the cheerleaders. One of them donated one of the original bells and it can be found in Tompkins Alumni Center today.

The tradition died, when the North Central Conference outlawed artificial noisemakers. When students and fans couldn't ring them, it died. The tradition was still around in the 50's and the barn was unbelieveable when you had 1000 of them ringing!

A few people, this writer included, have kept ringing cowbells down through the years, but it is a lost art. However, the bookstore has now ordered a number of cowbells (they've had them in the past, but few were sold) and along with tee shirts which use the Walken phrase GIVE ME MORE COWBELL BABY, the thing might come alive again.

I'm not absolutely sure what the department will do if the trend picks up heavy again. I've been ringing a cowbell (a real one from the farm) for years at football and at courtside for basketball -- and as long as I didn't ring it during play, there has been no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
          The cowbell tradition was started in the 1920's by the cheerleaders. One of them donated one of the original bells and it can be found in Tompkins Alumni Center today.

The tradition died, when the North Central Conference outlawed artificial noisemakers. When students and fans couldn't ring them, it died. The tradition was still around in the 50's and the barn was unbelieveable when you had 1000 of them ringing!

A few people, this writer included, have kept ringing cowbells down through the years, but it is a lost art. However, the bookstore has now ordered a number of cowbells (they've had them in the past, but few were sold) and along with tee shirts which use the Walken phrase GIVE ME MORE COWBELL BABY, the thing might come alive again.

I'm not absolutely sure what the department will do if the trend picks up heavy again. I've been ringing a cowbell (a real one from the farm) for years at football and at courtside for basketball -- and as long as I didn't ring it during play, there has been no problem.
          What about those stupid thunder sticks that some teams hand out at games? Are those within the rules? If they're allowed, particularly in an outdoor setting, cowbells should be.

To be sure there's no problem with ringing at the wrong time, I guess we'll have to elect a cowbell-leader. I nominate jacks#1fan. All in favor, say aye.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan

I have a cowbell. Several, actually.

And I know how to use it. A rabbit with a cowbell is a force of nature, lemme tell ya.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm not sure if it's still tradition, but I received an engraved cowbell at my senior-year football banquet. It was a graduating gift from coach Stig to all the seniors. My daughter loves it.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

AYE!!!!!

I beat the heck out of my cowbell 2 weeks ago in SF. I was delightfully surprised when I saw that a bunch of other people had them. I hope the people around me didn't mind too much but, I had a blast and didn't really care if people didn't like the cowbell.

I think it is one of the best traditions in the country(something similar to the students at THAT one university that use their car keys). I can't imagine how the opposing team feels when they are losing to the Jacks and all they here is the COWBELL!!!!!! INTIMIDATION BOYS AND GIRLS!

GO JACKS... BEAT MISSOURI WHOEVER...

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFooJack
                  AYE!!!!!

I beat the heck out of my cowbell 2 weeks ago in SF.  I was delightfully surprised when I saw that a bunch of other people had them.  I hope the people around me didn't mind too much but, I had a blast and didn't really care if people didn't like the cowbell.

I think it is one of the best traditions in the country(something similar to the students at THAT one university that use their car keys).  I can't imagine how the opposing team feels when they are losing to the Jacks and all they here is the COWBELL!!!!!!  INTIMIDATION BOYS AND GIRLS!

GO JACKS...   BEAT MISSOURI WHOEVER...
                  I always hated the car keys thing. We did it at Iowa for the kickoff, and a friend of mine was trying to figure out what it means: "Start the game car?"

And even if 70,000 people shake their keys, it's about as loud as three people with cowbells. OK, maybe more than that, but it's not exactly an intimidating atmosphere.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far.I would like to share some info i have looked up at a website of a school with a similar experience. I found a site at www.cowbell-central.com . The school is mississippi state . they started cowbell after the JACKRABBITS in the 1930s . They to had them banned by their conference .Fans would continue to ring them with the risk of haveing them confiscated.We are in a new conference now could this be the time to restart the COWBELL in a acceptable manner that will not cause a ban again in the future. any thoughts. thanks.

Comment

The Book store is sold out of cow bells. The lady behind the counter said they have more on order, two different sizes, she said she was surprised at how cow bell sales had taken off this year.

Comment

Just remember this........A COWBELL A PLAY WILL KEEP THE OTHER TEAM AWAY.... ..................................MORE COWBELL.......

Comment

SDSUFAN refers to it but if you really want to know the history of the cowbell at SDSU, get your hands on a copy of "The College on the Hill." Chapter 10 gives the history of the cowbell at State. It's good stuff.

I hope one day Christopher Walken himself makes a visit to SDSU, specifically Frost Arena. That ought to bring the house down.

Comment

In some circles at USD, the story has been "modified" to something like this:  USD fans took some cowbells to a basketball game to make fun of SDSU.  SDSU won the game handily and adopted the noisemakers as their own."

In the "College on the Hill", Chapter 10, it is noted "NCAA rules -- which govern the North Central Conference -- do not permit artificial noisemakers."  I think it's common knowledge the NCC didn't permit them.  Are they actually banned by NCAA rules?  (Sure wouldn't want to trigger a technical foul or other penalty on the fans or crowd.)

Comment

If they have the "Gotta have more cowbell" skit on the jumbotron, it must be legal. I would think they would look into that kind of thing. It certainly woulnd't be your fault if the are asking for more cowbell.

Comment

Working...
                              X