Georgia Southern Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Southern Game

Since the weather will likely be nice this weekend I look for a huge crowd. I thought a snowy cold day could even out the superior team speed that Georgia Southern has. A large vocal crowd will be a huge boost for the Jacks this weekend.

Re: Georgia Southern Game

I also think we will have an excellent crowd on hand this Saturday. Hope the cow bells are out in force. Would have loved to see the look on the Georgia Southern boys faces when the snow was falling this past Saturday.....

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Actually......the snow would affect our fans more than the players.

I don't know exactly how many of our Eagle fans will be at the game. I would expect at least 100. I will call the ticket office tomorrow to see how many tickets were bought by Eagle fans.

We had around 350 fans in Boston.

Comment

Macon Telegraph
        http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/12981168.htm
        Posted on Mon, Oct. 24, 2005

Monday morning quarterback: Georgia Southern 49, The Citadel 14

• 3 KEYS
        Pressure the quarterback: The Citadel's Justin Knox completed 14 of 21 passes for 115 yards, but he was sacked twice and seldom had the luxury of sitting in the pocket. On one occasion rather than take a sack he put up a wounded duck and it resulted in a 30-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Score early, quickly: You couldn't ask for more than what the Eagles did. After spotting the Bulldogs a 7-0 lead, they rattled off 35 straight points to put the game away by halftime.

Stop the run: The Dogs gained 131 yards on 35 attempts, an average of 3.7 a try.

NOTABLE

The Eagles showed no ill effects of last week's disappointing 24-7 loss at Appalachian State as they came out focused and played with purpose in dismantling a team that had played I-A teams Florida State and Mississippi even for a half. Six trips into the red zone produced five touchdowns and seven different players scored TDs with linebacker Jason Earwood and wide receiver Chris Dickerson getting the first of their careers and slotback Marquice Maynard his first of the season. ... Quarterback Jayson Foster was held below 100 yards rushing for the second straight game, but he passed for a career high 123 yards. ... Jermaine Foster ran for 137 yards, his 29th 100-yard game and he moved to second on SoCon career list. The fullback now has 4,858 for his career and needs only seven more yards to pass 1,000 yards for the third time in a season. ... GSU could convert on only 2 of 9 third down situations, and suffered seven penalties. ... Eagles punter Dan Jordan, an all-conference pick last year, averaged only 23.5 yards on two punts, one of which traveled only 14 yards.

QUOTABLE

"I was shocked by the score. I thought it would be a tougher game." - Austin.

UP NEXT

The Eagles make the longest roadtrip of the season this week, visiting South Dakota State (4-3) for a 2 p.m. GSU beat the Jackrabbits 63-7 last year in Statesboro as they rolled up 616 yards. SDSU had a school-record 567 yards rushing and 689 yards total offense in a 64-28 win over Missouri-Rolla last weekend on a snow covered field.

Comment

We want to make this game competitive but can we? If the weather is good which the forcastes seem to indicate, it could be a long day for the Jacks. I dont like this talk about pressuring the QB. Lets hope the OL opens some holes and we can run the ball.

Comment

You can discount the poor punting. Jordan punted twice, both times into a Chicago-like wind. Both of his punts were knocked down by it. The wind affected the kicking game on both sides. It was so rough, both teams elected to not attempt field goals.
            I'm worried about our defense. We'll get our points, however our defense has been horrible. If y'all have any passing game at all, it will be a shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by Killem
              If y'all have any passing game at all, it will be a shootout.
              The answer to that is... we don't know. There are a lot of question marks regarding our passing offense. We didn't have much of any passing game with our starting QB, Andy Kardoes, an athletic and gutty player who has played with injuries nearly all year. Kardoes struggled to hit receivers, for whatever reason. We do have two talented young QBs: The starter if Kardoes can't go will probably be Ryan Berry, a redshirt freshman. He's as tall as Kardoes (6'3&quot but isn't as strong. He may be even more athletic (showed some good speed last Saturday and rushed for 44 yards) and seems to be a better passer than Kardoes. Ryan Burkhardt, a sophomore, will likely see some time, too. Burkhardt isn't quite as athletic as the other two, but (and this is just my opinion) seems to be the most accurate passer of the three.

I think that we'll find out a lot about whether those guys are gamers on Saturday.

Comment

I think if the weather is good we can have a good contest...

We just never seem to know which team will make the trip anymore. One week we look like crap in all areas, the next we kick butt. Go figure?

What I like is that even tho the outcome of the game in Statesboro last year was not to your liking both teams came away with respect for each other, and this seems to be a "friendly rivalry".

I think most GSU fans were impressed with the quality and class of the wabbits last year, and since the sun don't shine on the same dog's butt each year there's no telling how Saturdays' game might turn out.

Either way SDSU is considered as a class act, and hope we can have many more games between our two schools in the future.

May the best team win, and none of the players get hurt.

Best Wishes,
                JP

Comment

I guess i kinda was hoping for bad weather for this game but it will be over 50 on game day.In statesboro, GA at 10:30 am it is 54 so weather will not be a factor. Thats ok though because now we will really see how good the JACKRABBITS really are .Hopefully we will have a large crowd .We must bring the noise and cowbells to a whole different level to help out . BEWARE OF THE HARE

Comment

http://www.statesboroherald.net/showstory.php?$recordID=4126

Article on the upcoming game.

Comment

Can't be sure about the forecast, look at last weekend.

Regardless, the Jacks need a perfect performance and some screw-ups by the Eagles. The Jacks are capable and the Eagles have been screwing up.

We must gain 200 plus yards on the ground and hold onto the FB. Passing game has to be there to keep GSA honest (unlike 2nd half against UCD). Special teams need to be solid (especially return men) and our D needs to stop them on 1st down (no 8 yard gains). If all this happens and GS turns the ball over a couple of times then we can win.

Looking forward to a great game and great crowd (12,000 give or take 750). Again, I can't be there and I can't listen. Do they have ESPN in Canada? If so I'll be watching the bottom line ticker.

SDSU 27
                      GSU 24
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From Savannah paper:

South Dakota State a hard sell in recruiting

Donald Heath
                        donald.heath@savannahnow.com

It's January in Brookings, S.D. Snow blankets the ground. Temperatures often dip below zero.

And it's recruiting time for South Dakota State football coach John Stiegelmeier.

"We brought in five guys from Arizona and California and got four of them," Stiegelmeier said.

Sounds like Stiegelmeier could be a used car salesman. Instead, he's successfully selling a football program in its second year in transition from Division II to Division I-AA.

Last year, the Jackrabbits finished with a 6-5 record, this year they're 4-3 falling to two top 20 programs (No. 4 Montana and No. 12 Cal Poly) by a total of 15 points.

At home, SDSU has won four of five games, including a win over the University of California, Davis 16-14 - a victory that could make Division I-A Stanford envious.

Saturday, No. 19 Georgia Southern makes the trek to the Northwest.

Stiegelmeier says he has 42 players on scholarship despite some natural recruiting hardships. Only 66 high schools in South Dakota play 11-man football. Thirty of those play in the smallest 11-B division (schools with enrollments of 112-200), well below Georgia's Class A division.

So Stiegelmeier and his staff head to the road to recruit. According to the South Dakota State football website, 49 of the 79 players on the roster are from outside the state.

The Jackrabbits have 18 players from Iowa, 13 from Minnesota and 11 from Nebraska.

In comparison, Georgia Southern's coaching staff has recruited 94 of its 122 players from Georgia.

"Most of our recruiting is done from the inside," Stiegelmeier said. "We tell (recruits) what we have, where we're going and how they fit in. You have to find people who really want to be here."

In accordance with NCAA rules, collegiate football recruiting isn't always helped by a school and a potential player being in close proximity. Georgia Southern coaches can only see a high school player once during the football season and once during spring, whether the recruit lives in Statesboro or Tacoma, Wash.

But close proximity might come into play when a high school player attends a game or sees the campus on a personal trip.

The wide-open spaces of the Midwest make several large cities close to Brookings accessible by car. Omaha, Neb. (234 miles away) probably is about a three-hour drive away. Minneapolis (319 miles away) is a 4 ½-hour drive away. Des Moines, Iowa (340 miles away) is less than five hours away.

SDSU coaches can get out to a Friday night high school game and get back to Brookings in time for Saturday's college game.

"I think their coaches have a good plan in place," GSU recruiting coordinator John Pate said. "Minneapolis and Omaha play good high school football and there's good junior college football in the area."

State pride can help Jackrabbit coaches in recruiting as well. South Dakota State now plays at the highest level in the state.

"It would be like Georgia," GSU coach Mike Sewak said. "Some people growing up in Georgia have been Georgia fans all their lives and have their hearts set on playing at Georgia.".............
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[quote author=jackmd
                          State pride can help Jackrabbit coaches in recruiting as well. South Dakota State now plays at the highest level in the state.

"It would be like Georgia," GSU coach Mike Sewak said. "Some people growing up in Georgia have been Georgia fans all their lives and have their hearts set on playing at Georgia.".............
                          [/quote]

An astute observation: SDSU in South Dakota is like U of Georgia in Georgia...The GSU coach recognizes the Jacks as South Dakota's team.

Comment

You have a long way to go to reach us in that area ;D

Comment

Tell everyone you know to show up to the game obnoxious and sit on the GSU side, get drunk, get crunk and be the best student/fan/people section in the country

WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO HELP YA'LL IN THAT RESPECT JUST HAVE PLENTY OF BEER!

Comment

Working...
                              X