How To Cheer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Cheer

Perhaps some of the board readers can print this out and hand it out at the next home game.

1. School fight song, "Ring The Bells."
    Best bellowed at maximum volume, especially if you're sitting behind one of those "fans" who gives you dirty looks when you're trying to make noise when the scoreboard says "make noise."
    Ring the bells for South Dakota
    The Yellow and the Blue;
    Cheer the team from South Dakota
    With loyal hearts so true;
    Win the game for South Dakota
    The School that serves us well;
    We will fight for South Dakota
    So let's ring, ring, ring those bells.

2. Alma mater, "The Yellow And Blue"
    Not quite as easy to bellow as "Ring the Bells" but it's fun to see the odd looks you get when people see you actually know the words:
    Oh SDSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
    Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
    For ever raise the song in praise both loud and long
    With loyal heart so true (so true)
    Oh loyal hearts and true (and true,
    so true).

3. On Offense:
    Isolated shouts of "Go Rabbits," "Go Jacks," etc. Who knows, the cheerleaders may lead a cheer for which you'll actually understand the words--in that case, join in!

4. On Defense:
    In addition to those verbalizations indicated in #3, things like "go D!", "Hold 'em", and others work at any time. More intense cheers include:
    4.a. "DEE-FENSE! (clap-clap) DEE-FENSE! (clap-clap)" repeated until the defense leaves the field in triumph.
    4.b. "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh&qu ot;
    Usually used on third down, but can be used any time the defense really needs to come up with a big play. Caution, can cause headaches and dizzyness. Use with discretion, for your own health.
    4.c. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh&q uot;
    Variant of 4.b. Slightly more effort put into this one. Use when you really need a stop/turnover.

5. At any time:
    5.a. "Let's Go Rabbits!" Must be performed for at least three clock minutes, or one game-minute straight for maximum (unless a turnover or score ensues). Do this one often enough to drive the opponents and their fans slightly crazy. It works. Try it.
    5.b. The rhythmic clap. You know the one:
    Clap. (pause) Clap. (slightly shorter pause) Clap. (slightly shorter pause, by now people around you should be joining in) Clap. (a bit shorter pause) Clap. Clap. Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap clap clap clap clapclapclapclapclap . . . (addition of 4.b or 4.c is optional at this point, especially effective to support the defense.) Tip: most people bail out on this one too early. Keep slappin' those hands together, Jackrabbit!
    5.c. Judicious use of cowbell. Good to save your voice, or to avoid the headache risk of 4.b or 4.c. Should a "fan" in front of you give you a dirty look (or worse, verbally object), simply point out the title of the school fight song and ask them "where's your cowbell?" Tip: Hold it very, very high to ring it--don't ring it right in the ear of the guy in front of you. That's just rude.

This is only a partial list, but these simple cheering techniques work at places like Allen Fieldhouse, the Metrodome, and Arrowhead Stadium all the time--and I personally know that they work at Coughlin-Alumni or Frost, as well. All it takes is some people to start the madness. Why shouldn't it be you?

This has been a Filbert public service announcement.

Let's Go Rabbits!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: How To Cheer

I have always been partial to heavy use of the cowbell. Very unique to SDSU and they made a lot of noise.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

What happened to the cheer about "who do you root for". This was performed at all the FB games in the late 90s and early 2000s. It was also used for every basket ball game that I can remember. I believe Jerry Busi was the instigator of the cheer. I was at the Valpo game and it never happened.

I don't remember exactly how it goes. The ending was something similar to this:
      "S" "D" "S" "U" "fight Jacks.. fight , two, three, four that's the team we're rootin for.

I think this was the best chear that really got everyone fired up, whether we were kickin' a$$ or down in the Fourth quarter.

I definitely think more people should show up with the cowbells. I am constructing one with a bike handle. You can make a lot more noise by holding it this way.

GO JACKS.. BEAT TEXAS ST.....

Comment

My wife says the cheer was called "State Cadence."
        It went:
        1,2,3,4 tell the people who we're for
        S followed by 3 claps
        D followed by 3 claps
        S followed by 3 claps
        U followed by 3 claps

S D S U
        SDSU fight Jacks fight 2, 3, 4 that's the people who we're for.
        My wife was head cheerleader years ago.

Go Jacks!
        Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Don't try to use cowbells at Montana State. The fun police will confiscate them. :-/

Comment

Readomg abpit 1=2=3=4 makes me wonder how many of you on the board attend basketball games.
            I've been leading the 1-2-3-4 cheer every basketball game for many years, from the courtside seats. And we did it Tuesday night for the SDSU-Drake volleyball game. It's more effective inside.
            What we need is MORE COWBELL. I've been ringing my large one for 30 years at basketball and football. If you want to see where most of the cheering is for football, look up in Section F above row 27 and you will see a large vocal group. What we need is to get the bottom 26 rows and the rest of the stadium up!!!
            P.S. Will be in San Marcos with my cowbell -- see all you loyal Jack fans there!!
            WHAT WE NEED IS MORE COWBELL!!!!

Comment

That's it!!! I think that is the best!!!!

Comment

Yes, State Cadence.

That's in the Advanced Cheering course, of course. ;D
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Perhaps some of the board readers can print this out and hand it out at the next home game.
                  Now THAT is some GREAT stuff! The whole list... and
                  was it 'Cadence'? All great. Just do not think anyone would read enough to benefit (when is the last time anyone actually used the Pride handouts?). What about a 10 minute instructional program demonstrated/led by the Cheer squad in the later stages of the pregame
                  program at our next home game...using your step by step program, of course?! :-/

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    I have always been partial to heavy use of the cowbell.  Very unique to SDSU and they made a lot of noise.
                    Suppose anyone would object to two-fisted cowbell support? Though had crossed my mind on more than one "need more cowbell" occassion ;D

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                      I have always been partial to heavy use of the cowbell. Very unique to SDSU and they made a lot of noise.
                      I too love the cowbell and wish there were more of them. I know they can be purchased at the SDSU Bookstore and at their novelty shop at CAS. Not sure of any other places. Does anyone know if the large cowbell is still in the SDSU Dairy Bar? I would love to see that bell brought to home games as a symbol of SDSU and to ring it proudly and often. It could be placed in the grass area in the southwest side of the stadium inside the fence. The cheerleaders would have access and assist in getting others to ring their bells.

Another way to increase noise for those who do not bring cowbells it to take out your keys and rattle them. I have been to college stadiums that have the student section rattle (10,000 students strong) rattling for kick-offs to start the game during opponent’s attempts to make field goals and extra points. Would be very loud on the south end zone where the student section is.

My all time favor cheer has/ had to be before the regional basketball game at Frost vs. Fort Hays State when with about 15 minutes prior to the start of the teams coming out to begin warm-ups the already full arena started chanting "WE WANT THE RABBITS! WE WANT THE RABBITS!!! And kept it going until SDSU came in for warm-ups. It still gives me chills reminiscing about the reaction (intimidation) from the FHSU players and coaches.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The band ALWAYS marches off the field to the State Cadence and plays it as they march into the stadium (at least we did when I was there).

First down cheer was always fun. So was the repel them cheer.
                        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

just some info on cowbells. If you want cowbells go to runnings they have a selection of them .prices are from 3.99-9.99 very affordable and different sizes . they have 2 or 3 of each size in stock. of course more can be ordered . Just go in store and ask for cowbells for the football or basketball games they will be happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by wererabbit
                            just  some info on cowbells. If you want cowbells go to runnings they have a selection of them .prices are from 3.99-9.99     very affordable and different sizes . they have 2 or 3 of each size in stock. of course more can be ordered .  Just go in store and ask for cowbells for the football or basketball games  they will be happy to help.
                            Is there a Runnings is S.F.? I could pick up some cowbells before the UCD game.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd im calling around sf right now for cowbells  ;D No runnings in sf but there is a farm store called Campbell Supply Co 3101 E 10th st SF 1-605-336-2494 they have 2 sizes of cowbells from 3.99--6.99 they are open saturday from 8am-5 pm ..

Comment

Working...
                              X