Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the crowd?

Honestly, 4500.

it was plain embarrassing. student section was embarrassingly empty, west side was half empty, tailgaiting was empty. what could everyone been doing? do they realize they missed the opportunity to watch the best football program to ever step foot in SD.

It is crowds like this that truly make me wonder if we have the support to accomplish all of our goals at the d1 level. I'm on board, as are most on this board, but where is everybody else...

i predict 2500 for s utah and 2100 for UNC, and i am sick to my stomach.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Re: Where's the crowd?

i suspect hunting had a little to do with it. its sad, after last week i thought we needed a bigger stadium :'(

Comment

i am honestly sick of the hunting excuse...the university gives the fans a bye week on opening day to do all the hunting they want. its three hours to enjoy a game.

Like i said it worries me if hunting is higher on our fans priority list than the biggest game of our D1aa time at CAS.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I'd use the week after Hobo Day excuse before hunting.  Many people probably went home because no one did last weekend...just my thoughts

I agree, it was quite embarrassing after bragging SDSU up about the attendence last weekend. It was a pretty damn nice day. I was thinking there would be much more there today.

Comment

I agree with above. Im way more bummed about the size of the crowd today then I am about the results of the game. And of course that cuts back on revenue which effects the athletic programs for the future. Does anyone know if we have to split gait with GSU?

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
            I agree with above.  Im way more bummed about the size of the crowd today then I am about the results of the game.  And of course that cuts back on revenue which effects the athletic programs for the future.  Does anyone know if we have to split gait with GSU?  
            What little I know about the game contracts is not much but I have heard that a certain amount of cash is paid to the visiting team to cover all their travel and lodging costs.  Sometimes the visiting team makes a little money with good travel connections and hotel accommodations. I suspect last year we received a check from GSU. This year we paid GSU. I never have heard any numbers but my guess the guarentee was in the $40k to 100k range.  

So the bottom line is we we did not attract new sold tickets with a crowd of roughly 4300, that is ticket holders who are not students or season ticket holders. This lack of sales  has a negative affect on the overall budget. A crowd of 9000 would probably produce a bump in total ticket revenue as most likely it meant additional tickets revenue from folks who are not students nor are they season ticket holders. Thats why a big crowd with casual fans paying cash to buy tickets would have been a big help. Hobo Day had to be a good payout and may be need to offset the GSU guarentee.

I know there are some other posters here who are much more knowledgeable about this and maybe they can expand.

Comment

I gotta believe 63-7 had something to do with people not showing up.  It's going to take time to show people we can consistently complete at this level.  I would hope there are some people sitting around today wishing they would have been there.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Hopefully, the athletic department will advertise the game against Southern Utah as a big conference game to try and attract some more fans.  

I'm bringing a few newcomers to the game next week, and it would be a shame for them to witness their first Jacks game with only 2500 fans in the crowd.    :-/
                “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I thought that 6500 would be a small crowd from this point forward. Us fans have to make the same commitimant that the athletic department and team are making. The team made a statement by scoring 42 against Georgia Southern, one of the premium D 1aa programs in the nation. The fans also made a statement with only 4300 showing up. It is time the fans step up like the team is doing.
                  I went to the Georgia Southern game last year. I saw their campus, their park-like tailgate area, and was witness to 22,000 fans entering the stadium. I am hoping that State was on a course to grow into such a program. I still feel that we are it is just may take a little longer than I had expected. Go State.

Comment

Maybe we need to make all our home games (other than Hobo Day) 7 o'clock starts. For some reason we seem to draw better at night than during the day, maybe hunting has something to do with it. Only problem with this is it would lead to some pretty cold games late in the season.

Comment

I think that having so many home games might have something to do with the sagging #'s as well.

Comment

Speaking from experience, historically Hobo Day has signified the end of football season in the fan's mind and the start of basketball season. I'm speaking of the casual fan of course that makes up the larger crowds that are seen earlier in the season. Once Hobo Day has passed typically hunting season, HS football playoffs, and basketball season take over the fan's interest. It will take a number of years of good success against very high level opponents to change that trend unfortunately. Someone else hit the nail on the head as well, with so many home games most fans will only afford to attend a few early season games and save their entertainment dollars for other uses.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Sh&* happens when your growing a program boyz and there’s a lot of trial and error involved. I would consider GSU the most noted program in 1AA because of the number of NC played for & consistent winning record yet after 25 years we only average around 16,000. While our playoff games are low we do take around 10,000 – 13,000 to the National Championship game. We’ll also take 10,000-13,000 to a Georgia or FSU game but only 2500 to a Furman game. (Furman would be like a SD/ND game) Go figure 1AA is fickle. It takes time, a lot of effort and a change in attitude in your fan base.
                          Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
                          www.gsufans.com

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                            Honestly, 4500.

it was plain embarrassing.  student section was embarrassingly empty, west side was half empty, tailgaiting was empty.  what could everyone been doing?  do they realize they missed the opportunity to watch the best football program to ever step foot in SD.

It is crowds like this that truly make me wonder if we have the support to accomplish all of our goals at the d1 level.  I'm on board, as are most on this board, but where is everybody else...

As being 1 of the 4000+ @ the game.....What the F***.....Spearfish@Sturgis had 4200+ a few weeks ago @ a highschool fb game in SD......Stop w/the excuses & start showing up......

I think we have heard them all.......blah...blah...blah

Comment

At the risk of offending our journalism posters, I need to make one comment about Saturday's Argus Leader. I picked up the paper thinking there would be headlines heralding the arrival of one of America's premier football programs on the soil of South Dakota. No, on the front of the sports section there were stories about USD at Duluth and another about UND studying the case of going DI.

Here's the rub. We question why our fans didn't show up at the game. We ask, "Didn't people know that Georgia Southern has one of the best football programs in DIAA?" Not unless someone tells them.

I wonder how many people in Dell Rapids, Madison, or Canton, looked at the front page of the sports section on Saturday morning and didn't see much special going on? I wonder how many of those people would have made it a point to drive to Brookings on Saturday had they known playing Georgia Southern was a big deal?

Yes, I now risk hearing, "That's not the media's job!" Well, as long as the Sioux Falls news outlets continue to cover a Division I program in the same manner as they cover an NAIA program, the media is not doing their job.

Okay, let the arrows fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X