• Show
Clear All

• SDSU and USD to play again?

http://www.volanteonline.com/media/p...mp;mkey=635194

Former rivals may meet up once more
    By: Danny Rapinchuk
    Issue date: 10/12/05 Section: Sports
    Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Old habits die hard, and the sentiment describes the fallen USD-SDSU rivalry. But one University of South Dakota alum is not quite ready let the long-standing rivalry die.

Ted Thoms, who graduated from USD in 1972, is attempting to renew the rivalry shared by the Coyotes and Jackrabbits on the gridiron. Thoms proposes a yearly football game, which would take place on Labor Day 2006 at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls, which he says provides benefits for both schools.

"It would be good exposure for both schools," Thoms said. "It would provide a big financial chunk and could be telecast statewide, perhaps even getting some lower-level ESPN coverage."

Thoms, who is a member of the Howling Pack, a USD alumni association based in Sioux Falls, has heard discussion over the past few years about a repeat bout between USD and SDSU. Thoms then took it upon himself to force the issue across the state, trying to gather enough fan support and financial support.

Thoms' plan for the game would not only provide exposure and a renewed rivalry, but would allow both schools to benefit financially. Each school would stand to collect over $100,000, which would be raised by the Howling Pack and a corresponding group from SDSU.

While Thoms has already pledged $10,000 to the cause, he will look for nine others to help him raise the necessary money.

As for the costs of the game, Thoms believes it would not be difficult to find business donations, and the possibility of a corporate sponsorship is also not out of the question.

Also, Thoms believes it would be easy to get the people of Sioux Falls interested in hosting the game.

"The magnitude of the game would get Sioux Falls people to go," Thoms said. "We wouldn't have any trouble selling seats."

USD athletic director Joel Nielsen believes there will always be interest in continuing the rivalry between USD and SDSU. However, he said it may be more difficult to renew this rivalry than most people think.

"It takes two to tango; trying to get our schedule to work with SDSU's schedule," Nielsen said. "Adjusting schedules is a little more difficult as opposed to an outside perspective."

Nielsen said continued conversation about the renewed rivalry is healthy, and is one of the things everyone can do to help the cause. An increased interest level will help support for the game, but other obstacles remain.

"The interest level is there, with the rivalry being so fresh in fans' and alums' minds," Nielsen said. "There are drawbacks to playing the game, most of which lie with SDSU."

One of the drawbacks Nielsen said was SDSU's drive to be classified as a Division I-A school, which may be hindered if SDSU continues to play Division II schools such as USD. But Nielsen believes the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks in the scenario.

"The rivalry invigorates the state and provides great revenue," Nielsen said. "We're in conversation all the time with non-conference schools looking to lock up the big non-conference game."

Thoms said he has received nothing but support so far from USD fans and alums, and believes the ball now lies in SDSU's court.

"There's no reason it shouldn't happen unless SDSU doesn't want to," Thoms said. "This is as close to a big game as we can get, so why not have the biggest game in South Dakota for a fundraiser?"

While the plan to renew the rivalry is in the preliminary steps, Thoms said he plans to work as hard as he can to get the plan in action.

"I will do everything I can to get State to play this game," Thoms said. "It is in everyone's best interest for this to happen."

Re: SDSU and USD to play again?

Lets not discuss crazy Mr. Thom's classic case of "little brothers" disease.  I like the way the article says, One of the drawbacks Nielsen said was SDSU's drive to be classified as a Division I-A school.

Drive?  We are a Division IA school, we need to play other Division I opponents.  A DII school on a neutral field?  Are we in some backwards, time-warp?  Oh yeah, for some of us that is a problem.

There is nothing to be gained by SDSU drilling an inferior USD FB team like we have time and again over the last 20 years.  They have their hands full with UMD, SCSU, Upper Iowa and Peru St.

How about we play Minnesota in Sioux Falls?  Maybe we should pitch that towards the Gophers?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[shadow=red,left,300]Nielsen said. "We're in conversation all the time with non-conference schools looking to lock up the big non-conference game." [/shadow

If you mean locking in Upper Iowa, Crookston, Peru St and any other 1 win team we can find.

I don't know if any of you know Ted Thoms personally but I have never heard many complementary remarks involving him. My guess is its a chance for him to get his name out there and chest pound a bit.

Comment

This was already covered on a prior thread.
        http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1129155232

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
          [shadow=red,left,300]
          I don't know if any of you know Ted Thoms personally but I have never heard many complementary remarks involving him.  My guess is its a chance for him to get his name out there and chest pound a bit.
          I do not know him but I have heard similar non-complementary remarks. Thats neither here-nor-there. I will say this proposal is ludicrous!!
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RonRabbit
            This was already covered on a prior thread.
            http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1129155232
            My apologies, it must have been discussed during my little absence from the board...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

My apologies, it must have been discussed during my little absence from the board...
              Apologies not at all necessary...I was just thinking about Doc's (JackMD's) blood pressure. It was pretty elevated the first time he read the Volante story! If we run him through a story like that every week, he'll be in his own emergency room!

Comment

SDSU can schedule whoever they wish, but I don't think it would be wise to make a game with USD an every-year event. After all, SDSU may down the road may want the flexibility of an all D-I schedule.

Comment

Playing USD is a no win situation. We win and everyone says that's what was expected. We lose and USD and all the State haters have all the ammunition they need.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I don't expect this to ever happen unless USD decides to go D1. Once that happens we are back in the same classification and back on the table again. Home and home would then work.

Comment

Perhaps he would be better off raising funds so that USD can go D-I rather than raising funds for an annual USD-SDSU game. After all, if he can raise that much cash...

Comment

Working...
                      X