Jerry Oster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Oster

Did anyone else hear Jerry Oster's comment after the Postgame Stig interview.. He commented in reference to the game "Well that was fun" "I can't say I was surprised" Imming commented "I was surprised at the margin of the game" Oster comments "Oh Steve your always looking for the longshot" I don't think he realized he was still on the air. I'm sick of this ass who he even got into an argument with Imming over whether the Jacks stopped the Bison on 3rd down...I'm tired of his stupid laugh and he brings no broadcasting quality or football insight to the game. Fire him!

Re: Jerry Oster

Jerry has been at WNAX a long time. He seems to be better at news than sports.  He has been doing the color for a long time also and how can you disguise your mannerism's such as a laugh?. Its only natural and when something goes good or bad, is profanity instead of a laugh appropriate?

I have listened when they are still on the net but off the broadcast air, especially after the Southern game where their comments were of elation and they seem to be well aware that they were still on the webcast.  

I dont see anything terribly bad about the comments. SDSU has not won in Fargo since 1962, so I think this is what they were referring too.  What else could they say? It was disappointment for the entire SDSU following.

Comment

better to be like that, then to be like the Coyotes announcer....I'm a fan of any SD team now, and I still can't stand listening to him.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
        Did anyone else hear Jerry Oster's comment after the Postgame Stig interview.. He commented in reference to the game "Well that was fun" "I can't say I was surprised" Imming commented "I was surprised at the margin of the game" Oster comments "Oh Steve your always looking for the longshot" I don't think he realized he was still on the air. I'm sick of this ass who he even got into an argument with Imming over whether the Jacks stopped the Bison on 3rd down...I'm tired of his stupid laugh and he brings no broadcasting quality or football insight to the game. Fire him!
        I'd prefer a realistic perspective like that to some fire-breathing homer. I think Oster does fine.

Comment

Oster is WNAX's News Director, I believe. And he's well aware that the Internet feed continues before and after the game broadcast--he's made comments directed to the webcast fans in the past.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

("Oh, man . . . &quot

;D

I look at Oster as a kind of "everyman" color guy. He's just saying what the average fan at home would be saying. It gets irritating when he has his occasional attacks of inarticulateness ("Oh, man . . . " again) but he also sees some things that Imming doesn't on the field.

It would be nice to see an SDSU football alum climb into the booth to give some jock-talk to supplement Imming (who is one of the best play-by-play announcers around at any level, IMHO) and Oster's Everyman view. That would make for some crowded airtime, though, so I don't know if it would be workable.

What WNAX should *really* do is start a half-hour post-game talk show. Anybody out there got some cash to step forward and sponsor RabbitTalk post-game?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            It would be nice to see an SDSU football alum climb into the booth to give some jock-talk to supplement Imming (who is one of the best play-by-play announcers around at any level, IMHO)
            Good point about Imming. We're really lucky to have him doing Jacks' games. Anyone who has struggled to follow Gary Dolphin's play-by-play on Iowa Hawkeye games, for example, knows that Imming is one of the best.

Comment

IMHO-Oster pulls does down the broadcast. Imming is one of the best in the business, but Oster does nothing to compliment Imming. I enjoy the Basketball game more because I dont have to hear Oster. There has to be an ex Jack player who is interested in working with Imming and can provide some real analysis. We have a top play by play guy and a DIII sidekick!

Comment

I would love to do it, but I just wouldn't have the time :'(

Comment

Does WNAX still do that Saturday morning football show? If so, what time is it on? Used to listen to all the time driving from the Twin Cities to Fargo.

Comment

Hello people..
                    I thought my ears were burning!

After enough years of this my hide is pretty thick...good thing apparently!

We appreciate your comments, and passion about the Jacks.

We have talked about adding a former player to the booth, but its tough to get a season long committment. and thats understandable.

Understand also that everything we do is run past the athletic department, and they let us know what they think, and what they are hearing.

If anyone has interest in sitting in with us, or knows someone who might...
                    email me at oster@wnax.com, and we will talk about it.

We also know when we are on the air, and just on line, so there are times you might get some extras....

We also doubled our internet capacity this past week, so more of you can listen in and see whats goes on in the booth....

Comment

Welcome Mr. Oster. I suspect some people post things under their "handle" without thinking about the consequences first. I have been guilty myself. I recommend keeping the thick skin.

Please continue to post if you desire I appreciate the insight you provide during games even if your delivery doesn't thrill others.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry O.
                        Hello people..
                        I thought my ears were burning!

After enough years of this my hide is pretty thick...good thing apparently!

We appreciate your comments, and passion about the Jacks.

We have talked about adding a former player to the booth, but its tough to get a season long committment. and thats understandable.

Understand also that everything we do is run past the athletic department, and they let us know what they think, and what they are hearing.

If anyone has interest in sitting in with us, or knows someone who might...
                        email me at oster@wnax.com, and we will talk about it.

We also know when we are on the air, and just on line, so there are times you might get some extras....

We also doubled our internet capacity this past week, so more of you can listen in and see whats goes on in the booth....
                        Welcome, Jerry!

Has there been any talk of adding any kind of post-game call-in show?

Also, how long does the current radio broadcast contract run? I personally think it would be a good thing to set up some kind of statewide network (with WNAX as the flagship, naturally) but I'm sure that won't happen until your existing agreement runs its course.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Jerry:
                          If Mike H can come here and take some heat, why not you? Just kidding, but I appreciate media people telling their side of the story even if its one that you dont agree with. Its America and freedom of expression. ;D

I think you do a great job helping out on the color with Steve I, one of the best. I also catch your news cast early in the morning. Keep on being Jerry Oster, its the only person you can be. The one thing about WNAX is that they have personalities with tenure, like the late Norm Hilson, George B. German, and Ed Nelson. Others too who don't come to mind. My listening to WNAX goes back to mid 1940's and the working agreement with SDSU athletics is a great matchup.

Comment

How many here can remember the old old sportscaster Whitey Larson? You have to be real old to remember Whitey. He did not do play by play but did the sports daily on WNAX.

Comment

I speak from experience: until you've tried being on live radio, you have no idea how difficult it is! State's broadcast crew is one of the better ones around and fans from opposing teams will even say they have at least a little objectivity (I hope never a lot! ) which makes for a better broadcast compared to some broadcasters who are absolutely one-sided.

Comment

Working...
                              X