UNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC

I don't want to look ahead, but the Rockie Mountain News has a story about our old friends the UNC bears in today's online addition:

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nc...229462,00.html

Depth woes sour UNC's transition year
    Injuries, scholarship numbers handicap Bears' move to I-AA

By Pat Rooney, Special to the News
    November 11, 2005
    The University of Northern Colorado football team has elevated the quality of its schedule to a level on par with the school's new rivals in NCAA Division I-AA.
    However, as UNC plows through the last half of its transition period from Division II, the Bears still do not have as many players on full scholarships as most of their new opponents.

That has been a difficult combination for the Bears to survive.

Northern Colorado, which has lost four of its past five games, will try to shake the hangover from a 44-0 loss Saturday at North Dakota State when it plays its final home game of the season Saturday against Sam Houston State (noon, Altitude).

"We've got no depth. I don't make excuses, but facts are facts," said Northern Colorado coach Kay Dalton, whose team finishes the season with Great West Conference road games against South Dakota State and UC Davis.

"I'm operating on 42 scholarships. North Dakota State did it right. Their first year of their transition, they went from 36 up to 53. I feel bad for my team for putting them through this and going into I-AA with no depth."

Dalton's point has become more apparent as injuries have ravaged the Bears defensive front. Depth problems began when middle linebacker Thomas Smith, who had 95 tackles last season, was lost for the season after a preseason knee injury.

Last week at North Dakota State, Northern Colorado had to play without two of its regular defensive linemen and lost a third during the game.

The Bears are 3-5 but have recorded two of their victories against Division II opponents, Fort Lewis and Colorado School of the Mines.

Northern Colorado's injury-riddled defense has allowed an average of 243.3 rushing yards a game against its past four Division I-AA opponents.

"It's a little bittersweet," senior cornerback and Loveland native Greg Gebhardt said. "There is a lot of pride in the UNC program. But last week hurt. That was as tough a loss as I've had.

"We have three games left to redeem ourselves and come out with a winning season, and I know there is no quit on this team."

It will be the final home game for Northern Colorado's nine seniors, a group of freshmen when the Bears reached the Division II semifinals in 2002.

Dalton cited the leadership of safety Reed Doughty, quarterback Nick Hager and guard Bradley Forbush for keeping the current crop motivated as the school navigated the often frustrating transition phase.

"Going to the Division II playoffs as a freshman was amazing," said Doughty, a four-year starter who will leave ranked among the school's all-time leaders in tackles, interceptions and fumble recoveries.

"But I wouldn't change anything from the past few years. We've actually played a lot better football, it's just that we've played much better teams."  .  .  .

Funny SDSU and UC-Davis seem to be doing ok in I-AA with the same amount (SDSU) or less sholarships (UC-Davis).  Don't get me wrong I hope we move up to 57 scholarships next season like has been rumored, and I agree having less does hurt your depth, but to blame UNC's lack of competitiveness the past two seasons on a limited amount of scholarshis just doesn't ring true to me.  I've come to believe that much of Dalton's success at UNC was based on riding the coattails of Joe Glenn (heck of a coach) and as each year passes that is harder to do.  The Bears are looking at a second losing season in a row unless they win out and that doesn't look likely.  

Go State!  ;D

Re: UNC

This is as good a place as any to inform everybody that the goal for next year's football scholarships looks like it is going to wind up at 51.

That will still be a massive undertaking financially, since upping the men's side scholarships 9, means doing the same on the women's side and all told that means $150,000 annual new money needed for those scholarships.

As far as references on other posts to the need for more publicity -- there's only so much money to go around folks and at this time, the department's push is trying to elevate the scholarships across the board as fast as they can to provide the athletes we need to be successful at the D-1 level ASAP.

Saturday is the big one -- beating the Bison would be huge as far as this year's season goes! Unfortunately, we couldn't resist going to Kentucky for the men's BB opener. (I never like contributing a cent to the Bison program!)

GO JACKS!!!

Comment

Poor UNC. I thought the Big Sky wanted teams that would quickly elevate scholarships to 63. Is that in the works at UNC?

Does anybody have a tally of scholarship levels and plans for next year for the Great West schools?

SDSU 42 (51)
      UNC 42
      NDSU 63?
      Cal-Poly ?
      UC Davis ?
      SUU ?

Comment

Daltons right, the scholarship difference is meaningful, but when you get hit by the injury bug too, like they have, its devastating.  A good DII team with 36 can hang in there all year if they can avoid injuries but as we all know, in that situation injuries can change a team in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          I don't want to look ahead, but the Rockie Mountain News has a story about our old friends the UNC bears in today's online addition:

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nc...229462,00.html
          Depth woes sour UNC's transition year
          Injuries, scholarship numbers handicap Bears' move to I-AA

"We've got no depth. I don't make excuses, but facts are facts," said Northern Colorado coach Kay Dalton, whose team finishes the season with Great West Conference road games against South Dakota State and UC Davis.

"I'm operating on 42 scholarships. North Dakota State did it right. Their first year of their transition, they went from 36 up to 53. I feel bad for my team for putting them through this and going into I-AA with no depth."
          Contradiction.  He is making excuses.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
            This is as good a place as any to inform everybody that the goal for next year's football scholarships looks like it is going to wind up at 51.

That will still be a massive undertaking financially, since upping the men's side scholarships 9, means doing the same on the women's side and all told that means $150,000 annual new money needed for those scholarships.

As far as references on other posts to the need for more publicity -- there's only so much money to go around folks and at this time, the department's push is trying to elevate the scholarships across the board as fast as they can to provide the athletes we need to be successful at the D-1 level ASAP.

Saturday is the big one -- beating the Bison would be huge as far as this year's season goes! Unfortunately, we couldn't resist going to Kentucky for the men's BB opener. (I never like contributing a cent to the Bison program!)

GO JACKS!!!

When your attempting to ramp up scholarships quicker and become more competitive and only 4,000 people show up for two straight games it's no wonder I saw a strained look on the face of Fred Oien. I don't know how many will show up in Fargo and I don't care. Regardless of what happens this weekend I hope we see a good showing for the final game against UNC. The way this team battled all year they deserve to see some people in the stands!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

When your attempting to ramp up scholarships quicker and become more competitive and only 4,000 people show up for two straight games it's no wonder I saw a strained look on the face of Fred Oien. I don't know how many will show up in Fargo and I don't care. Regardless of what happens this weekend I hope we see a good showing for the final game against UNC. The way this team battled all year they deserve to see some people in the stands!
              Agreed. I will not be in Fargo but I will be at CAS next weekend. As for the scholarship push, I'm for it. I'd favor investing in scholarships now even if it means a less for advertising. Winning will get more exposure in the newspaper and thats free.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                Funny SDSU and UC-Davis seem to be doing ok in I-AA with the same amount (SDSU) or less sholarships (UC-Davis).  Don't get me wrong I hope we move up to 57 scholarships next season like has been rumored, and I agree having less does hurt your depth, but to blame UNC's lack of competitiveness the past two seasons on a limited amount of scholarshis just doesn't ring true to me.  I've come to believe that much of Dalton's success at UNC was based on riding the coattails of Joe Glenn (heck of a coach) and as each year passes that is harder to do.  The Bears are looking at a second losing season in a row unless they win out and that doesn't look likely.  

Go State!  ;D
                You haven't been hit by the injury bug as bad as we have. Dalton said (in his weekly radio show) that we had 7 starters out with injuries, including the conferences best running back.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan

You haven't been hit by the injury bug as bad as we have.  Dalton said (in his weekly radio show) that we had 7 starters out with injuries, including the conferences best running back.  
                  You heard wrong, Watson is doing just fine

Comment

You haven't been hit by the injury bug as bad as we have.  Dalton said (in his weekly radio show) that we had 7 starters out with injuries, including the conferences best running back.  
                    What was last year's excuse, I can't remember.

UNC 2004

2-9

UNC 2005 to date

3-5 (with a loss to Southern Utah)

As far as the conferences best running back . . . both Watson (8.4 yds per carry) and Koenig (6.3 yds per carry) are avg. more yards per carry then Wilson (5.2 yds per carry).

Go State! ;D

Comment

No excusses last season. We over scheduled. As for injuries, call them an excuse if you want but ask yourself the honest question if the bunnies would be doing well if they had 7 starters out for a game.

Comment

Oh one more thing 89rabbit. Remember all that smack you were running about how much better your attendance was then ours? Well, it doesn't look the case this season as we are averaging over 8,000 and yours is in the 7,000's. What's your excuse? I see some people say hunting season. Well, we have a thing here we must compete against on the weekends and it's called ski season. I also remember you posting some time that in the 90's we averaged about 7,000 for a season and you wrote that we have topped off our attendance there. Looks like you were wrong. Look for the attendance to go up even higher when we get into the BSC.

Comment

Oh one more thing 89rabbit.  Remember all that smack you were running about how much better your attendance was then ours?  Well, it doesn't look the case this season as we are averaging over 8,000 and yours is in the 7,000's.  What's your excuse?  I see some people say hunting season.  Well, we have a thing here we must compete against on the weekends and it's called ski season.  I also remember you posting some time that in the 90's we averaged about 7,000 for a season and you wrote that we have topped off our attendance there.  Looks like you were wrong.  Look for the attendance to go up even higher when we get into  the BSC.  
                          Keep winning 2 games a year and you'll be hoping for a homecoming game with 3000 fans in attendance. That's not a knock on your school or it's fan base, just pointing out that you'll probably have a hard time getting any fans to the games if you can't win.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Agreed.  I will not be in Fargo but I will be at CAS next weekend.  As for the scholarship push, I'm for it.  I'd favor investing in scholarships now even if it means a less for advertising.  Winning will get more exposure in the newspaper and thats free.
                            Exactly. SD sports fans will only care about seeing the Jacks play if we're winning. We can advertise all we want. The only reason USD had a good year with attendance was because they had their best team in decades. If we ramp up scholies, make 7 win seasons an "average" season and we will get all the free advertisement we could ever imagine.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

No excusses last season.  We over scheduled. . . .
                              That is an excuse. So the reason the Bears were 2-9 in '04 was that they over scheduling, and the reason they are 3-5 this year is that they have injuries and only have 42 scholarships, just for the record.

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X