JSU search committee recommends Comegy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSU search committee recommends Comegy

Tuskegee coach, winner of 89 games in last 10 seasons, in line to be JSU's next coach
    By Mark Alexander
    malexander@clarionledger.com

Comegy

Tuskegee University coach Rick Comegy is a search committee's choice to be Jackson State's next football coach, according to people with knowledge of the search.

A nine-person committee recommended Comegy's name to JSU president Ronald Mason Jr., Wednesday afternoon following a 2 1/2-hour meeting, sources said.

Comegy's hiring is pending a background check and Mason's approval.

Robert Kelly, who headed the search, would not comment on the choice. He did say Mason could override the committee's choice.

Comegy, 52, would replace James Bell, who was fired with three games remaining this past season. He would inherit a once-proud program that has had three consecutive losing seasons.

Comegy, also the athletic director at Tuskegee, is expected to make considerably more money than Bell, whose three-year contract paying $85,000 per year expires Dec. 31.

Comegy makes about $140,000 at Tuskegee.

Alcorn State offensive coordinator John McKenzie and Lane defensive coordinator L.C. Cole were the other finalists.

McKenzie was interviewed by the committee Wednesday. Comegy and Cole met with the committee Tuesday. Comegy returned to Tuskegee late Tuesday night and rejoined his team Wednesday as it departed for Charlotte, N.C., where it will participate in Saturday's Pioneer Bowl.

Comegy, reached on his cell phone Wednesday night as the team was arriving in Charlotte, said he "knew nothing at all" about the committee's recommendation.

"Once they get done with the evaluations, they're supposed to contact me, that's the only thing I know," Comegy said. "There's not much more I can say right now. Whenever it happens, it happens. My focus is on Bowie State and my football team. If it's not, we'll lose."

Re: JSU search committee recommends Comegy

Bluedog:

When I see Tuskegee mentioned, I am reminded of the connection between SDSU and Tuskegee.  Tuskegee's late coach Cleve Abbott -- he's in about every hall of fame you can name, -- is an SDSU alum and a great four-sport, four-year letter winner for the Jacks from the years shortly after the end of WWI. As you know, Tuskegee plays football in the 10,000 seat Abbott Stadium.

Abbott was a Watertown (SD) High School grad...after obtaining his bachelor's degree at State, he went on to a graduate degree at Harvard and then a distinguished career as a teacher and coach at Tuskegee).

JSU will be stealing away not only Tuskegee's highly successful football coach, but he's their athletic director too.

Comment

Working...
    X