Scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarships?

I've seen some talk on the Bison board that we're moving up to 51 scholarships next year. Is this as done of a deal as people seem to be making it out to be? Maybe I missed something. We shouldn't be spreading rumors.

Re: Scholarships?

*From the Moderator

SD-STATE, I am picking up the not so subtle theme you seem to be posting today.  Let me refresh for you my stand on rumors.

I don't want this board to turn into a rumor mill.  If you have something to post that you know (or believe) to be true based on solid sources that is one thing  .  .  .  if on the other hand your source is not solid or you don't believe that source, but you "heard something" well maybe this isn't something you want to put on the board.  This is especially true when it comes to peoples lives.  Please be careful what you post.

This doesn't seem that hard to me.  However, if this is too difficult to live with then perhaps you would be happier on another board.  If you need further clarification please feel free to PM me.  

Comment

The question remains, is there a for sure plan for 51 scholarships next season. That would seem like a pretty big deal, that hasn't been mentioned in any paper or new.

Comment

*From the Moderator

jacks#1fan, a poster with 34 posts, had this to say on the matter.  

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
        This is as good a place as any to inform everybody that the goal for next year's football scholarships looks like it is going to wind up at 51.
        jacks#1fan appears to believe that his information is true and from a solid source.

Combine that with the Chris Solari story from the Argus leader in which Dr. Oien is quoted as wanting to get the the two year avg. of 57 scholarships ASAP,so as to be able to play a I-A game, and it appears to be a resonable assumption that 51 is indeed the goal.

Chris Solari
        csolari@argusleader.com

BROOKINGS - Athletic Director Fred Oien said Wednesday that South Dakota State is in the negotiation process with three Division I-A schools for a future football game.  
        Oien did not name the schools, but rumors have been circulating recently that they include Nebraska and Minnesota. North Dakota State has been actively pursuing a game with the Gophers.  
        Oien said SDSU stands to earn between $400,000 to $600,000 for each game against a I-A school.  
        With changes in NCAA legislation that added a 12th game to I-A schedules, a burden on SDSU was lifted. Teams at the I-AA level must now only average 57 scholarships over a two-year span to play a I-A school and have it count toward the major school's bowl rankings.  
        Schools in I-AA previously had to average 60 scholarships over three years to get a game with a major I-A school. SDSU, in its second year at the I-AA level, offers 42 scholarships this year.  
        "What that means to us is that we're going to get to that 57 ASAP," Oien said.

So if we go to 51 for the '06 season and 63 (the I-AA max) for '07 we will have a two year avg. 57 and would be able to play a I-A team in '08.

On the surface this seems like a pretty good posting.  It meets my less then strenuous requirments, especially because it does not deal with any one individual and their personal matters.  

All that being said I am personally unaware of any written acount that states emphatically that 51 is the goal for next year.  However, I am very comfortable in my belief that 51 is indeed our goal.  If you have information to the contrary, please feel free to share it.  If you would like to discuss the matter of rumors further I encourage you to send me a PM so that we may discuss this matter fully.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          *From the Moderator

jacks#1fan, a poster with 34 posts, had this to say on the matter.

jacks#1fan appears to believe that his information is true and from a solid source.

Combine that with the Chris Solari story from the Argus leader in which Dr. Oien is quoted as wanting to get the the two year avg. of 57 scholarships ASAP,so as to be able to play a I-A game, and it appears to be a resonable assumption that 51 is indeed the goal.

Chris Solari
          csolari@argusleader.com

BROOKINGS - Athletic Director Fred Oien said Wednesday that South Dakota State is in the negotiation process with three Division I-A schools for a future football game.
          Oien did not name the schools, but rumors have been circulating recently that they include Nebraska and Minnesota. North Dakota State has been actively pursuing a game with the Gophers.
          Oien said SDSU stands to earn between $400,000 to $600,000 for each game against a I-A school.
          With changes in NCAA legislation that added a 12th game to I-A schedules, a burden on SDSU was lifted. Teams at the I-AA level must now only average 57 scholarships over a two-year span to play a I-A school and have it count toward the major school's bowl rankings.
          Schools in I-AA previously had to average 60 scholarships over three years to get a game with a major I-A school. SDSU, in its second year at the I-AA level, offers 42 scholarships this year.
          "What that means to us is that we're going to get to that 57 ASAP," Oien said.

So if we go to 51 for the '06 season and 63 (the I-AA max) for '07 we will have a two year avg. 57 and would be able to play a I-A team in '08.

On the surface this seems like a pretty good posting. It meets my less then strenuous requirments, especially because it does not deal with any one individual and their personal matters.

All that being said I am personally unaware of any written acount that states emphatically that 51 is the goal for next year. However, I am very comfortable in my belief that 51 is indeed our goal. If you have information to the contrary, please feel free to share it. If you would like to discuss the matter of rumors further I encourage you to send me a PM so that we may discuss this matter fully.
          The best way to turn this from rumor to reality is to send a check to the Jackrabbit Club, if you can. It's deductable (80% anyway, and you know tax time is coming up . . . )

Merry Christmas, Jackrabbits!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

the plan is to try to reach 51 scholarships this season and ratchet it up from there. However, the goal remains to get up to 62 scholies as soon as possible. To help ensure this, a donation of any amount of money is useful. Even if it's $50 it is much appreciated. If 50 people give $50 it starts adding up.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Does Stig and the Athletic Administration come after SDSU football alumni aggressively to contribute? I've heard him reference this before and wondered if that was the case.

Comment

Stig and his staff are very active in soliciting donations from athletic alumni.  The remainder of us need to use the word-of-mouth network to get info about the Jackrabbit club out there.  The SDSU Foundation and respective colleges solicit from their alums in a variety of ways but I don't believe the Jackrabbit club does any mass mailing or phone contact.  Once your in its easy but I'm not sure how many people are aware.

As for the 51 scholarships, thats what we would like to see.  If the funds were there we'd have 63.  No speculation or rumor, just fact.  Stig stated after the UNC game that he has been told he will have 50 plus scholarships for next year.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                X