Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's Gearman going D-1 by himself

An interesting twist of events....

USD's wide receiver and track standout (jumps), Derek Gearman of Lennox, a Junior, announced he is transferring to the U of Minnesota because he wants to participate in D-1 sports. He'll leave USD at the end of this semester.

I don't celebrate any program losing one of its good athletes (I remember snide comments made by some USD people when Andy Moeller decided to transfer). But, it's an interesting angle on how some kids simply want to give D-1 a shot.

Here's the link to the article in USD's Volante newspaper:
    http://www.volanteonline.com/media/p...mp;mkey=545982

Re: USD's Gearman going D-1 by himself

Playing D-I is a powerful incentive to a lot of players. To walk away from being a football starter so that he could run track in D-I is a lot of give up, but obviously it is worth it to him. Of course, we've all known players who would rather warm a bench in D-I than start at a lower division. I'm not dissing D-II, I respect whatever decision a player makes.

Comment

Re: USD's Gearman going D-1 by himself

Originally posted by RodentiaX
      Playing D-I is a powerful incentive to a lot of players. To walk away from being a football starter so that he could run track in D-I is a lot of give up, but obviously it is worth it to him. Of course, we've all known players who would rather warm a bench in D-I than start at a lower division.  I'm not dissing D-II, I respect whatever decision a player makes.
      About 20 years ago when I moved to Nebraska I could not believe all the coverage a National D1 football program could receive in the Omaha and Lincoln papers. Also the first year in Nebraska, I remember a particular write up on individual players on Senior day. I can't recall how many I counted had not played until they were seniors nor could I believe that they often had been their own in terms of financial support except for the final year for which they may have gotten scholarship money. It seems strange to me too that they probably had given up opportunities to play in the NCC for an Orange Bowl ring. The magic of D1 does that to people especially for walk on kids from Nebraska and Iowa. Lets hope UNO stays were its at.

Gearman though is apparently a very good athlete and I wish him the best at U of Minnesota.

Comment

Working...
      X