• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana Schedule out

Highlights from a Missoulian story:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...s/sports01.txt

Grizzlies won't face I-A power or long road trip next season

By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian  

The Montana Grizzlies' 2006 football schedule is done, and it includes neither a Division I-A power nor a three-game November road trip.

The Grizzlies, 8-4 last season, were notably absent from Washington-Grizzly Stadium in November thanks to three Big Sky Conference road games. They returned home for a Division I-AA playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend, only to lose to Cal Poly.

Next season the Griz begin and end their regular season at home, where there are seven games. Montana opens with three straight contests at Washington-Grizzly, beginning with nonconference foe South Dakota State on Sept. 9. UM also has three of its final four games at home, including the 106th Griz-Cat game.

The schedule has an open date on Sept. 2 - which could be filled if I-AA administrators approve a 12-game schedule for 2006 in late April - and includes one Division II opponent in Central Washington, on Sept. 16.

Jim O'Day, Montana's first-year athletic director, rates the schedule as a good one, considering the difficulty I-AA programs have finding the right mix of games.

“Everyone's in the same (boat),” he said. “Do you schedule the big guys, or do you schedule Division II? And nobody's totally happy either way.”

Montana's 2005 season included a 47-14 setback at Pac-10 Oregon, and the Grizzlies' season-long injury problems began inside Autzen Stadium.

The $450,000 guarantee netted the UM athletic department near what it could've expected from a home game - in the $300,000-325,000 range - which makes O'Day open, if cautious, about playing I-A opponents.  .  .  .

As expected, Cal Poly, originally a road game in 2006, will play the Grizzlies in Missoula on Nov. 4. Northern Colorado, originally scheduled as a home game Labor Day weekend, will host UM on Nov. 11. The Bears become the Big Sky Conference's ninth school in 2006-07.

Cal Poly signed a deal to come to UM twice, with the second visit in 2010. O'Day declined to reveal financial terms. A straight buyout would've cost UM $50,000.

The Mustangs are in a tight scheduling spot because their conference, the Great West, is down to five teams after Northern Colorado's departure. That leaves Cal Poly, a I-AA playoff team for the first time, with four conference games next season.

And it's become clear that UM isn't excited about heading to San Luis Obispo, Calif., where the Mustangs were 6-0 in '05, including a 4-0 mark against Big Sky schools.

“When you have to schedule seven (non-conference) games, it's hard,” O'Day said of Cal Poly. “Especially when you're not Notre Dame. Cal Poly - it's a beautiful place, and they're getting better and better all the time. But it's hard to get down there. Eastern found that out. Montana State found that out.”

O'Day said UM could end up scheduling NAIA power Carroll College of Helena if the I-AA presidents approve the expanded schedule. That extra game could help a division searching for a different identity - and O'Day plans to attend a meeting, organized by the Southern Conference, on Dec. 16 in Chattanooga, Tenn., concerning the future of I-AA football.  .  .  .

“I think it is critical (to) start to find ways that teams that are perceived as the top teams in I-AA get to other areas of the country,” O'Day said.

A 12-game schedule could clear the way for a program like UM to head to the East Coast, as when the Grizzlies played at Hofstra (in 2002) and Maine (2003). Montana bought out its 2005 game at Hofstra while continuing to attack a $1 million deficit discovered in spring 2004.

“We're looking over the next couple years at the few openings we have left,” O'Day said. “(Former AD) Don Read did a great job of getting the schedule whole for about the next four years. We don't have many openings left, and with a nine-team league, if you have 11 games, eight of your games are already scheduled.”

But an extra game could solve a lot.

“A Carroll game, what it does is free up money in your budget for the next year, to go somewhere,” O'Day said. “Hopefully by then - knock on wood - we'll have our deficit paid off. Once we have our deficit paid off, we'll be in a little better situation to play some opponents (on the road).”

Go State!  ;D

Re: Montana Schedule out

I hope in the near future we see one of the Montana schools coming to Brookings. If not then why continue to schedule them.

Comment

I hope we have a deal with Montana to come here in 2 years.

However if Montana has issues traveling, maybe that sheds some light as to why we have to play some small schools at home, at least with only 4 conference games.

I found this quote interesting:

"O'Day said UM could end up scheduling NAIA power Carroll College of Helena if the I-AA presidents approve the expanded schedule. That extra game could help a division searching for a different identity - and O'Day plans to attend a meeting, organized by the Southern Conference, on Dec. 16 in Chattanooga, Tenn., concerning the future of I-AA football. . . . "

Comment

Does Montana bus to its conference games? Or if it has a nonconference game in the area away would they bus. To me, i don't see the difference in getting on a charter and flying to Eastern Wash or South Dakota State versus flying to Hofstra or Furman. Does it cost that much more?
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Eastern Washington is actually quite close (in Western U.S. terms) to Missoula.

Google Maps has the distance from Missoula to Cheney is 214 miles, about 3 1/2 hours, or about the same as Brookings-Fargo.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            I hope in the near future we see one of the Montana schools coming to Brookings. If not then why continue to schedule them.
            I seem to recall Coach Stig being on the Craig and Mike show and saying that we would be playing Montana two more times (for now) and one of these two games would be played in Brookings.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

That's a away/away/away/home deal then. Wonder if we get a check to play there? Especially when they make a quarter Mil.

Comment

My understanding of the deal was in Missoula in 2005 and 2006 and Montana at Coughlin in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                  My understanding of the deal was in Missoula in 2005 and 2006 and Montana at Coughlin in 2007.
                  That was my understanding also.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I imagine we're getting paid some money for going out to Montana. I doubt it's anything to write home about, but money none the less. Be nice to see 18,000 fans an everyday occurance at SDSU games. Scholarship problems would be taken care of rather quickly if that was the case.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

What makes me nervous is the 1 million dollar deficit Montana has. With the atttendance they have at every home football game how can they run such a deficit. They don't really offer more sports than us, although they are all fully funded i would imagine. But i would assume they have more support coming in than we do to. Something to think about anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                        What makes me nervous is the 1 million dollar deficit Montana has.  With the atttendance they have at every home football game how can they run such a deficit.  They don't really offer more sports than us, although they are all fully funded i would imagine.  But i would assume they have more support coming in than we do to.  Something to think about anyway.
                        Is it a deficit (annual expenditures) or debt (long-term obligation)? Or is it a deficit related to debt? Sorry to sound wonky, but it's a significant difference. The story isn't clear about it.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Montana recently expanded its stadium. The debt (deficit, or whatever it is) might even be related to that, certainly a long term expenditure.

Comment

I also understood that Montana was scheduled to come here in 2007. I have also been told that Montana has a history of buying itself out of these games. There is usually a $25k buyout listed and they tend to take advantage of that to schedule a different game at home.

Comment

In the story at the top of this thread it talks about a $50,000 buy out for Montana's Cal-Poly game.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X