Georgia Southern announces new Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Southern announces new Head Coach

Brian vanGorder was named Head Coach today. He is the current linebackers coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He is also the former defensive coordinator on Mark Richt's staff at Georgia. He has a solid coaching reputation as well as a reputation for being a great motivator.
    Notice he is a defensive coach. This is a move many of us hoped for unfortunately The Georgia Southern Spread Option looks to be history as he is going to change it.

Re: Georgia Southern announces new Head Coach

I'm interested to hear what GSU fans think of a changed offense. Will it work with your current personnel? Is there any chance of something happening like in Nebraska?

I don't think I would want to change the offense as it has worked for years. But hiring a defensive minded coach is probably a good thing for GSU.

Comment

Coach said "The option will be a part of it. I don't know if it will be what its been in the eyes of Georgia Southern. It will exist, but we are going to be a little bit more multiple in what we do."

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
        I'm interested to hear what GSU fans think of a changed offense.  Will it work with your current personnel?  Is there any chance of something happening like in Nebraska?

I don't think I would want to change the offense as it has worked for years.  But hiring a defensive minded coach is probably a good thing for GSU.

Well, frankly no one has a clue as to what changes the new Coach will want to make.

We all know that if GSU had a defense, and passing attack remotely as good as our triple option running attack we would win more games. This past season everyone (including you guys) could see that our defense was porous, and threat to pass non-existent.

I think all of our present players were recruited into the GSU triple option program, and I just don't see how the whole thing can be changed to something else easily. I do think modifications will be made, and I think they will all be designed with winning in mind.

Its obvious to anyone who follows GSU football that the new coach was hired to WIN... That's what we (the spoiled fans and boosters) expect.

I think the coaching change is a great thing, and I'm really looking forward to next season. I would not be surprised if GSU doesn't come out looking pretty good next year.

Just my old fart opinion.

JP

Comment

Its obvious to anyone who follows GSU football that the new coach was hired to WIN... That's what we (the spoiled fans and boosters) expect.
          I'd thought they've always "won", I'm taking bets, I say two years and done with the new coach...I find it hard to see GSU doing anything other than the spread option with their current personnel. The qb they had, while the best athlete on the field, IMO is hardly anything other than an option quarterback.

Comment

You could be right..  But.

The qb we had this year was indeed recruited as a fit in the triple option..  My understanding is that we have a redshirt freshman who might be better than Jayson Foster in some respects, but even he was recruited specifically to fit into a triple option offense.  

We at GSU are historically wed to the triple option, and would be very disappointed if it were changed to something else.  However, when a new coach comes to town (this should ring true to someone from S.D) he is hired and paid to clean up the place..  That's precisely why Coach VanGorder was hired.

Our defense has been lacking.  Our team discipline was poor.  Our players physical conditioning was questionable. We've had no passing attack.  These are  areas (specifically the defense part) where Coach VanGorder excells in coaching.

I personally love the triple option as I think it makes for more exciting football.  It's a bit unique and most teams just don't handle it very well unless they see it on a regular basis.  

In the triple option you recruit smaller, faster athletes, and for THOSE quality high school players looking for a scholarship Georgia Southern University offers a home.

As for our past winning record.  A record of 8-3 (or whatever) is considered a pretty good season for most schools.  It's NOT at GSU.  We expect if not to win all of our games, then to certainly be in the playoffs EACH year trying for the National Championship.  

We at GSU are without a doubt the most SPOILED football fans in America.  You've heard (probably ad nauseam) about our 6 Championship flags in Paulson Stadium.  Well, 6 is great, but 7 is better, and so on.

Quite honestly at GSU if it isn't about football, it doesn't get much respect.  I think our various roundball teams are good, but those sports are only time killers between football seasons.  

If you don't expect the very best EVERY year, if you are satisfied with an 8-3 season then you generally wind up getting just what you are willing to settle for.  At GSU our expectations and mindset is on winning the National Championship EVERY year.  Any year we don't make the playoffs, or fall in the playoffs is simple unacceptable.

Childish we are...  

But, every coach hired at GSU knows one thing..  He is hired to WIN.  If he can't do that, then Delta is ready when he is.  Just a fact of life in wonderful Redneck country!

Just an old farts two cents worth.

Best Wishes to all the Jackrabbits.  You folks are building a great football tradition of your own.

JP ;D

Comment

Working...
            X