X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan QB transfers to Idaho St.

Saw this over on ESPN...might make the Sept. 30th matchup a little tougher

Michigan QB Gutierrez transferring to Idaho St.Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan's No. 2 quarterback, Matt Gutierrez, says he is leaving the Wolverines and will play for Idaho State in the fall.

Gutierrez, who has one year of college eligibility remaining, declined to say whether he was promised the starting job for the Division I-AA Bengals but said he was certain he would never supplant Chad Henne as Michigan's top quarterback.

"I feel like in my four years [at Michigan], I've done everything I could have done and was asked to do to earn an opportunity," Gutierrez told The Ann Arbor News on Saturday. "I love to play football. I'm looking forward to being able to work toward that and succeed in that way."

Gutierrez was expected to take over as the Wolverine's starter in 2004 to replace John Navarre, but a shoulder injury kept him out of the lineup. Gutierrez underwent surgery and participated in just three games in the 2005 season as Henne's backup, completing 14 of 22 passes.

Gutierrez, who played quarterback at De La Salle High School in Concord, Calif., said he didn't decide to leave the Wolverines until last week, after the team's Alamo Bowl loss to Nebraska.

Michigan will now have to decide who will become second-stringer behind Henne.

The apparent choices are Jason Forcier, who redshirted in the 2005 season, or high school recruit David Cone, who is expected to sign a national letter of intent with the Wolverines next month.

Re: Michigan QB transfers to Idaho St.

Arkansas QB Mortensen to tranfer to Georgia Southern
    ESPN.com news services

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Ending speculation about where he would play next season, Arkansas quarterback Alex Mortensen's father, ESPN football analyst Chris Mortensen, says his son will transfer to Georgia Southern.

Mortensen, a redshirt freshman, played in four games for the Razorbacks last season, coming off the bench in each of them. He finished the year behind Casey Dick and Robert Johnson on the depth chart. Mortensen chose the school over Louisville and over remaining at Arkansas, which asked him to stay.

"I wish Alex nothing but the best," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. "He's a fine young man with great character. I hope things work out well for him at Georgia Southern."

Nutt released Mortensen from his scholarship in December so the quarterback could look around. The coach had said he understood Mortensen was looking for more playing time. By transferring NCAA Division I-AA Georgia Southern in Statesboro, Ga., Mortensen gains immediate eligibility and can play for three seasons.

If Mortensen transferred to another NCAA Division I-A school he would have had to redshirt again and had only two years of eligibility.

Mortensen was recruited by Georgia Southern coach Brian VanGorder. The Eagles finished 2005 with an 8-4 record and their third straight Southern Conference championship. Mortensen played high school football in suburban Atlanta.

Comment

Gutierrez is a very good QB, I've seen him play. He was the starting QB for three years at De La Salle during the "Streak" of 150+ consecutive victories. They were on local TV most weekends and on ESPN twice. He is a drop back passer and can scramble a little. Not a threat to run too much. That is a very good signing for Idaho St.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Idaho State seems like an odd choice for someone from the Bay Area. He must be into fly fishing or big game hunting, because there ain't much nightlife in Pocatello.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola
          Idaho State seems like an odd choice for someone from the Bay Area. He must be into fly fishing or big game hunting, because there ain't much nightlife in Pocatello.
          There is however playing time to be had up there . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

There is however playing time to be had up there . . .
            That and I think ISU returns 10 starters on offense.

I think his brother, Anthony Gutierrez, plays at Cal Poly. Matt is more of a drop back passer and probably likes the pro-style offense ISU runs. Too bad, I would have like to have seen him join his brother at Poly.

Comment

Working...
            X