• Show
Clear All

• Timmerman, McCollum Pleased with Hire

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/52939/

Timmerman, McCollum Pleased with Hire
    Friday, January 20, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

While most players aren’t in St. Louis so soon after the season, a couple of popular Rams were around to meet new head coach Scott Linehan on Friday morning.

Offensive linemen Adam Timmerman and center Andy McCollum, also known as the Doughnut Brothers, came away from their initial meeting with Linehan impressed with what little they were able to learn about him in that short gathering.

“It seems like a good choice,” McCollum said. “He’s done a great job if you look at his record. I just got to meet him this morning, and he seems like a great guy. So, changes-wise, we’ll just have to wait and see who he hires as far as his staff and go from there.”

Of course, there will be plenty of time for Linehan to put together a full staff and for the players to get to know their new head coach, but based on first impressions; Linehan seems to be making a habit of leaving a strong impression.

For Timmerman and McCollum, the adjustment to Linehan might not be too difficult. Considering Linehan’s background as an offensive coach and the fact that Mike Martz was also an offensive coach, the duo hopes that the tradition of super-charged offenses in St. Louis continues.

“I think from that standpoint that is one of our strengths is in our offense,” Timmerman said. “I think it is good to have an offensive coach who is really going to know how to use those things, rather than do the full 180 and try to get a defensive guy. I’m sure he’s going to look for a quality defensive coordinator to get him on staff and make the improvements that need to be made. But I think it is probably a smart move to hire somebody who is offensive-minded.”

In his introductory news conference, Linehan made no bones about the importance of meeting with and gaining the respect and ears of his veteran leaders, a group that certainly includes battle-tested veterans such as McCollum and Timmerman.

“I think it’s important to do that right away, and there has to be an appropriate time,” Linehan said. “There can’t be a quick meeting and then move on. I want to set those times and make sure I put the time into hearing them out, and I want to hear their opinions and what they think of the team and the direction and things that have happened in the past and how we can avoid those things. And things that have happened in the past that were good, how we can bring them back. Those things all have to be established and the leaders deserve that. That’s what you have to do to establish your credibility with the players. Don’t go in talking; go in listening. That’s how I have always been.”

In their short meeting with Linehan on Friday morning, Timmerman and McCollum came away with the same initial impression as many of those that have met Linehan had.

“(He’s) enthusiastic, but we didn’t meet him real long or talk real long,” Timmerman said. “He just seemed like a real quick witted guy, and personable. And I think just as far as personality, (he’s) just real easy to talk to and easygoing. I’m sure he’s had a whirlwind the last few days and is probably going to have a whirlwind next couple of weeks too. I’m sure he has a ton of stuff going on, but it seems like he’s well prepared and ready for it.”

Although the meeting with Linehan didn’t last long, McCollum and Timmerman did make sure Linehan knows about the importance of keeping the locker room stocked with their beloved Krispy Kremes.

Like everyone else, though, McCollum and Timmerman are just happy that the franchise has taken the next step forward.

“Yeah, that is nice just to finally get somebody on board who will find out who coaches and get to know him and see his style, and what kind of changes are going to happen from our standpoint,” Timmerman said. “But, yeah, at least they made a decision and started moving forward.”
Working...
X