Downing named UNC head coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downing named UNC head coach

UNC today named Nebraska assistant Scott Downing the new head coach. This sucks. I won't be renewing my season tickets and I won't contribute to NCAF.

> >

Link:
    http://uncbears.collegesports.com/sp...122705aaa.html

Re: Downing named UNC head coach

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
    UNC today named Nebraska assistant Scott Downing the new head coach.  This sucks.  I won't be renewing my season tickets and I won't contribute to NCAF.  

> >

Link:
    http://uncbears.collegesports.com/sp...122705aaa.html
    Now that's a true fan of the Bear's program!

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
      UNC today named Nebraska assistant Scott Downing the new head coach.  This sucks.  I won't be renewing my season tickets and I won't contribute to NCAF.  

> >
      So this was not YOUR first pick for a head coach!! :
      How can you at this point be a fan ??? of the Bears and not even give the guy a chance to prove he can do something for your program.

Where are you coming from? ??? ???
      Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

Downing is a top notch recruiter so this should help Northern Coloado. He is also only 49 years old and very energetic. He took a large pay cut from 124,000 to 90,000 dollars per year to take this head coaching position.

Comment

Downing as the recruiting coordinator for Nebraska has a lot of knowledge of players in Nebraska, upper Midwest and around the country and will make it harder for SDSU to get the DIAA calibre athletes in Nebraska.

Comment

I guess I am warming up to this new coach, however still remain pretty skeptical. I was angry because my guy didn't get the job, but I'll trust our A.D made the right decision.

Comment

I actually met Downing when he was still an assistant with Wyoming in 1991-92. He recruited my best friend from Oklahoma.

Scott will do well at Northern Colorado. Hell of a nice guy too.

Comment

Not going to be easy at Northern Colorado. Former football player calling out new Athletic Director in Greeley paper.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2...ORTS/101260081

BEING AN ATHLETIC DIRECTOR at any college is a nearly impossible task that demands integrity, strong consensus-building skills and the ability to be a positive leader and role model.

I have not witnessed any of those qualities in University of Northern Colorado athletic director Jay Hinrichs.

As a former athlete, lessons that I hold sacred are to play as hard as you can, play by the rules and support and rely on your teammates. My perception of Hinrichs is that he is not interested in being a part of a team, and that in his mind, winning justifies any action. I hope I have him totally mischaracterized, but if I don't, his conduct makes him the Terrell Owens of athletic directors.

Oh, and don't forget the part about throwing your teammates under the bus. Former UNC head coach Kay Dalton and his staff were the first guys under the bus. Who is next to blame?

During the press conference Hinrichs held to announce new football head coach Scott Downing, Hinrichs made a comment that was an insult to me and every player who has worn a UNC football uniform.

Hinrichs said Downing had the ability to "change the perception and change the culture here at Northern Colorado." I would ask Hinrichs to explain to me and other former players and coaches what is wrong with the culture and perception of UNC football?

He was in Kansas when UNC won two national championships, several league titles, and was the best of the North Central Conference, one of the top Division II conferences in the country. We worked hard to establish a positive culture and perception at UNC.

I may be just blinded by my pride as a former player and my admiration of others who have played for UNC. My approach to moving to the next level would be to build on the success UNC has had and use it as a foundation to move forward rather than burning the house down and starting from scratch. Hinrichs seems to believe that anything that was done at the Division II level is not good enough in Division I, and that everything has to change.

Hinrichs individually orchestrated an embarrassing, for UNC, firing of Dalton and his staff in a totally classless manner. He followed up with a pseudo search, which was really a one-man mission to appoint his choice of Downing.

I want to thank Dalton and his staff for all of their hard work. I am sorry that the end came like it did. I wish the new coach and his staff all the best, and hope they are aware of what they are getting into.

UNC is a great institution and there are those of us who are proud of our past, not embarrassed by it. We want to see our academic and athletic programs prosper, and quite frankly, are concerned with the leadership of the athletic department under Hinrichs.

In conclusion, I agree that there needs to be a change in "perception and culture" at UNC, but I disagree about where that change needs to take place.

Hinrichs thinks it needs to happen in the football program. I think it should happen in a smaller place: his little office.

Maybe Jay ought to hang out with the wrestlers, the baseball players, the football team, the volleyball players and all of the other fine student-athletes UNC is so lucky to have. Good kids. Good citizens. Great teammates. Good perception. Good culture. I think Hinrichs could learn something that could help him professionally.

Joe Drew is a former University of Northern Colorado football player. He was an All-American in 1969 and was a member of UNC's only undefeated team that same year. He lives in Denver.

Comment

Working...
                X