The "Good" Old NCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Good" Old NCC

Those of you that may be intrested, there is much chatter in trems of movement for a number of NCC teams to 1AA. There is also marked intrest from Michigan Tech, and a few other teams in Michigan. Where do you stand in terms of movement from the NCC into 1AA? Is it a realistic move, and would the movement be a positive one for teams currently in the GWFC? Most of all would Jackrabbit fans like to see UND, SCSU, and possibly USD on a regular basis?

Re: The "Good" Old NCC

My first response would be...The GWFC is short about 4 teams so I would welcome any of the others. As far as basketball goes..I don't see any value in us getting into making a new conference with the teams mentioned. It would be nice to have some familiar foes to play but I think we need to continue to look at the conference options we are and not look back.

Comment

NO INTEREST !!!

Comment

I could see the addition of some of these team into our football conference, but see no reason to form a new basketball confernce with the long delay in getting a autobid into the tournament.

Comment

Some of you are very young, but to get an idea of how things have changed since 1963 the year we won the Ncc, NC championship, we at that time played Northern Illionis during the regular season, but in winning the national tournament, SDSU beat Fresno State and Southern Illinois to get to the finals and then finally beat now D3 Wittenberg. Wittenberg had an unbelieveable program back then. Their academics standards and traditions forced them and their conference to go D3 rather than D2 in 1973.

We also had some head to head clashes with Evansville before they moved up along with the whipping boy games from Big 8 and Big 10 schools.

The point is many schools have moved from D2 to D1AA and on D1A since that time. Until a year ago, I did not know that Troy U was once a JUCO and that was in the early 1970's.

I would expect more D2 to make this same move. Getting them to join the GWFC conference would be in the best interest of SDSU, whereas starting a new BB conference would not be since it takes 13 years to get an autobid.
          Recruiting in the upper midwest will not be hurt if some of the now NCC members make the move, as SDSU is moving out more now anyway. So those that decide to take the plunge will have to follow the same path that SDSU and NDSU have taken the past two years. I dont see any short cuts for any of the D2 members who decide to move on up.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyJack
            Those of you that may be intrested, there is much chatter in trems of movement for a number of NCC teams to 1AA. There is also marked intrest from Michigan Tech, and a few other teams in Michigan. Where do you stand in terms of movement from the NCC into 1AA? Is it a realistic move, and would the movement be a positive one for teams currently in the GWFC? Most of all would Jackrabbit fans like to see UND, SCSU, and possibly USD on a regular basis?
            I heard from a former player that some other former Jackrabbit alums now on the coaching staff at the school leading the NCC men's BB standings seem convinced that a "IAA" classification is on its way for basketball. Anyone else hear rumblings about that?
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

I heard from a former player that some other former Jackrabbit alums now on the coaching staff at the school leading the NCC men's BB standings seem convinced that a "IAA" classification is on its way for basketball. Anyone else hear rumblings about that?
              In a word, no. What's being more seriously discussed is eliminating the -AA subclassification entirely.

The BCS-ization of D-I basketball would destroy college basketball.

In a somewhat related note, for the first time in history, our former NCC partners Northern Iowa have made the AP Top 25.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I heard from a former player that some other former Jackrabbit alums now on the coaching staff at the school leading the NCC men's BB standings seem convinced that a "IAA" classification is on its way for basketball.  Anyone else hear rumblings about that?
                This is the first I have heard of this notion, and the money schools such as Duke, Kentucky would have to get more than half of the 350 D1 schools to vote for this measure. I just don't think it will happen so easily. I think a former Nagy assistant is just puffying smoke here since there are no more Andy Moeller's to transfer to MSU.

Comment

Only NCC schools I like to see move up are maybe UNO and St. Cloud. Like to see just one D1AA school in each of the 5 state area.

let UND, Augie, USD, NSU, MSU, MSU-D, Black Hills State, Kerney State, Wsyne State, UpperIowa keep the NCC rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

I think a former Nagy assistant is just puffying smoke here since there are no more Andy Moeller's to transfer to MSU.
                    I don't think he needs any more Andy Moellers to transfer in. He seems to be doing just fine by himself.

I for one think the talks of the NCC moving up a as a whole are ludacris. It's not financially feasible for most of the remaining schools. I think a big reason these rumors are floating around are the NCC schools have finally come to the reality that none of the top tier NSIC schools want to join a sinking conference. Three or four years ago when NDSU and SDSU were getting ready to make the leap the NCC put out feelers for any NSIC or other Rocky Mountain schools (Kearney) to join the NCC, Duluth was the only one to make the move and I've never been quite clear on their reasoning. Back then the NCC should have realized how grim the future was.

IF, big IF, the NCC ever did move up it would, IMO, be a mistake to rejoin them. There has been so much effort of the SU's to distance themselves from the past and move forward that rejoining any semblance of the old NCC would, to me, look like we're giving up.

Just my opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by JH81

I don't think he needs any more Andy Moellers to transfer in. He seems to be doing just fine by himself.

Well something is on the mind of Schott, Hansen and Morgenthaler to bring up a D1AA notion. I think they are running into some recruiting battles with SDSU and NDSU. This would be motivation to make some non-sense comment like this.  The other source for this non-sense is the remarks by Roger Thomas at the Yankton Quarter back cllub. Thomas was saying the big schools in D1 are controlling everything in terms of money and all the rest are at the mercy of these money kings. None of these thoughts and ideas are back by facts. Just one thing fear of D1 newcomers taking over NCC recruiting fields.
                      Indirectly, he was saying the former NCC members made a mistake going D1 and that they would have a up hill climb. In other words the admonishment was to the remaining NCC, don't make the jump.

Until someone can post some facts or discussion about a possible D1AA basketball, I will consider the comment coming second hand from Mankato, as plain non-sense and based on fear.

Comment

There will never be a NCAA sub-class DIAA for anything but football.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                          Until someone can post some facts or discussion about a possible D1AA basketball, I will consider the comment coming second hand from Mankato, as plain non-sense and based on fear.
                          I can't post facts and it seems ridiculous. I was speaking to a former player who corresponds with them on a regular basis and it was his impression that they are desperate to find a better option than the current direction of DII and the NCC.

The point I really wanted to make is, that despite our struggles early in this transition its kind of reassuring to see that the schools we left behind are more then struggling to achieve at a higher level, they are searching for direction with little to look forward too. We are moving forward even it its at the expense of a lot of bumps, bruises and shots to our collective ego. Stay the course, make adjustments in men's BB recruiting, and be patient.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From what I know of the situation at Mankato that even with Glen Taylor's money the athletic dept has struggled to fund scholarships. I know the football program was not fully funding the maximum scholarship limit. I noticed they field 23 Mens/Women's sports and suspect women's hockey is a financial drain at Mankato like it is at North Dakota.

Comment

I can't post facts and it seems ridiculous.  I was speaking to a former player who corresponds with them on a regular basis and it was his impression that they are desperate to find a better option than the current direction of DII and the NCC.  

The point I really wanted to make is, that despite our struggles early in this transition its kind of reassuring to see that the schools we left behind are more then struggling to achieve at a higher level, they are searching for direction with little to look forward too.  We are moving forward even it its at the expense of a lot of bumps, bruises and shots to our collective ego.  Stay the course, make adjustments in men's BB recruiting, and be patient.
                              I guess what they were saying was kind of a wish option, and that is different.

I really dont need to be hard on our former players. I suspect that recruiting against the SU's is starting to change for the remainder of the NCC schools. Hod Neilsen, a old USD alum and long time sports reporter to Yankton Dakota Press  made a big report in his Saturday paper about Roger Thomas's visit to QB club in Yankton last week.

Here is the link and what the commish is saying filters down to coaches etc.

http://www.yankton.net/stories/01280...60128031.shtml

Here are what I think were the pertainet comments:

The bulk of the discussion on Wednesday was regarding the loss of three members in the past several years, South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Northern Colorado to Division I, how they were handling the move and whether or not there was a possibility of a couple of other members to make the same move. The NCC has now dropped to seven members and Thomas' audience wanted to know what the NCC future was _ particularly when the rumor mills have put the University of North Dakota and the University of Nebraska-Omaha on the "possible D-I" candidate list.

As Thomas pointed out, there are dozens of reasons why moving up to D-I status would be great - but there are some really big stones in the road. The big reason, of course, is to get the rewards and glory of playing in the D-I football bowl games and its rewards, and getting to basketball's Final 64 and playing in that great TV hit, the March Madness, which has taken the entire nation by storm. National football and basketball championships are at stake in these two ventures - but even more enticing is sharing in the billions of dollars that is generated for the coffers of the D-I schools.

Trophies and medals and professional contracts are nice, but the universities and colleges involved have realized a great big source of money that didn't used to be there, and that source has resulted in envy and jealousy, a couple of hurdles that, more and more, are getting really hard to handle.

For example. Although institutions of lesser stature and athletic success do manage to get a small amount of revenue, it is increasingly apparent that the big schools aren't really interested in getting the smaller schools involved and sharing the tons of cash that they have earned. So they have introduced so many ifs and ands and blocks in the road that it becomes very frustrating, expensive and time-consuming to go to the trouble to get to be a tail-end member of the D-I dynasty, including the fact that, except for football (which has a stop-gap one sport excuse, D-IAA) each D-I member must participate only in D-I sports.

The fact remains that the D-I institutions aren't really interested in D-II schools that want in. It is now possible for them to get in, and is a pain especially when the newcomers want to make their own rules on how to handle new admissions.

It's a tough battle to get involved in, especially when you are really not wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X