Clear All

• Argus Leader Story "Jacks closer to I-AA max"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...602010331/1002

Jacks closer to I-AA max
    SDSU will have 50 scholarships in fall

CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 02/1/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - Signing day marks the end of a toilsome year-long process for college football coaches.

For John Stiegelmeier, today means South Dakota State's program is one step closer to where he wants it to be.

Stiegelmeier said the Jackrabbits will boast 50 scholarships next season, about eight more than last year but still well below the maximum allowed at the Division I-AA level.

"It's a huge positive" Stiegelmeier said. "That's a huge jump - it's two years ahead of where we were going to be."

The push to 50 continues SDSU's ongoing effort to reach the I-AA maximum of 63 scholarships. The Jacks moved to Division I in 2004 with 38 scholarships then moved to 42 and a fraction last season.

NCAA rules permit Stiegelmeier to split his scholarships among 85 players. Schools in the higher-level I-A must offer 85 full scholarships that cannot be split, while D-II and NAIA schools can split their allotment however they choose.

Washington High senior Ryan McKnight, who is expected to sign with SDSU today, said the added scholarship money didn't mean as much to him as playing at a higher level.

"It's where I wanted to play from the get-go," said McKnight, whose father Mark lettered in 1979 and '80 for the Jacks. "It's one of those things that money can't really buy you."

While 50 scholarships might be the highest total in South Dakota, the Jackrabbits are still underfunded compared to many of their opponents.

SDSU opponents 2005 Montana and Georgia Southern, both I-AA playoff teams last year, offer the full allotment of 63 scholarships.

Even in the Great West Football Conference, the Jackrabbits are behind. North Dakota State, for instance, was at 541/4 scholarships for the 2005 season, Athletic Director Gene Taylor said. The Bison will move to 59.4 this year, with Taylor giving coach Craig Bohl the option to go to 63 if he feels it is warranted.

Division II schools, such as Augustana College and the University of South Dakota, can offer a maximum of 36 scholarships. The limit in NAIA, which includes the University of Sioux Falls and Dakota State, is 24.

Stiegelmeier said the Jacks will have 57 scholarships for the 2007 season. That's important because the NCAA changed the rules starting next season that I-AA teams must average 57 scholarships over two years to play a Division I-A team and have it count toward the higher-level team's bowl eligibility. SDSU isn't likely to be able to schedule a team like Minnesota until they hit 57.

Increases in scholarship numbers come as SDSU gradually increases its athletic budget during its move into Division I.

"Our donors have stepped up. They understand what we're trying to accomplish," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "We're doing it in such a way to keep balance for Title IX purposes - when you add scholarships on the men's side, you have to do the same on the women's side."

The old rule demanded that I-AA teams average 60 scholarships over three years to be counted toward a I-A team's bowl eligibility.

"We're trying to do this in a very prudent way - a way we can afford and still try to move football forward so we're eligible for (scheduling) a I-A game," Oien said.

Games against I-A schools are important to because of the six-figure revenue I-AA teams receive for playing up a level, which is often used as a return investment to pay for additional scholarships.

"The quicker we ramped up to 63," Taylor said, "the quicker we could play guarantee games and have longer sustained success."

NDSU will play I-A Ball State this year and is working on a contract with Minnesota for the following season. Taylor said it has been easier for him to find I-A opponents since that level moved to a 12-game schedule.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Re: Argus Leader Story "Jacks closer to I-AA

We already have the Gophers signed in 2007 and are working on a deal for 2006 (maybe). It's there if we want it.

Comment

Saw the print version. Nice PR, unfortunately the timing is bad...

Comment

that's a great point 99, its too bad these '06 recruits won't get the full attention they should today.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Couldn't we just take out a loan and then pay for it by playing some DI-A games. How close are we to a full endowment. 400-500 thousand a pop adds up quick. ;D

Comment

i have a feeling NDSU will beat Ball State.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34
              i have a feeling NDSU will beat Ball State.
              I think they expect to beat a bad Ball St. team from a bad program.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
              X