Is this true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true

I read over on siouxsports that Taylor Murray is leaving SDSU with one year left of eligibility to play at UND. I thought he was a senior, but it's posted over on siouxsports. If this is true, it's not good for the program, the guy was first team all-conference in the Great West. So what's the deal Jack fans? I see his major is aviation education, I guess that could explain a few things.

Re: Is this true

My crack research shows that in the 2002 Media Guide he's listed as a redshirt freshman, meaning:

2001 - freshman, redshirt
    2002 - redshirt freshman
    2003 - sophomore, earned letter
    2004 - junior, earned letter
    2005 - senior, earned letter

That appears to be 5 years, four years of eligibility used. So unless there's some weird rule out there it looks like the fighting sue fans are full of sh!t.

Of course I could be compeletely wrong, but won't retract my statement about fighting sue fan's nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by JH81
      My crack research shows that in the 2002 Media Guide he's listed as a redshirt freshman, meaning:

2001 - freshman, redshirt
      2002 - redshirt freshman
      2003 - sophomore, earned letter
      2004 - junior, earned letter
      2005 - senior, earned letter

That appears to be 5 years, four years of eligibility used. So unless there's some weird rule out there it looks like the fighting sue fans are full of sh!t.

Of course I could be compeletely wrong, but won't retract my statement about fighting sue fan's nonetheless.
      Amen to the last part of your post ;D

Comment

Taylor had a medical redshirt one year when we were still D-II but with the rules at D-I he lost that. So he does have an extra year at D-II. I had heard he was thinking about Duluth but haven't heard about it for a while.

Comment

Here's a link to Taylor's bio off last year's roster...

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...ylor/index.cfm

Taylor Murray
          6-3, 295, Sr., Offensive Guard
          Cambridge, Minn. (Cambridge-Isanti High School)
          Major: Aviation Education

Taylor earned second team all-GWFC honors last year as the starting right guard ... in 2003, started seven games, one at right guard and six at left guard ... was on the field for 511 plays and had 44 knockdowns ... was on the field for 67 plays in three different games (Winona, Western Oregon, Humboldt) ... was an all-state selection for coach George Larson at Cambridge-Isanti (eye-san-tee) High School ... a two-time all-conference pick, he was also team captain

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
            Taylor had a medical redshirt one year when we were still D-II but with the rules at D-I he lost that.  So he does have an extra year at D-II.  I had heard he was thinking about Duluth but haven't heard about it for a while.
            So technically he was done at SDSU, but could still play at a DII? Seems kind of odd that it would be allowed like that, but what the hey, if he get's to play one more year good for him. Then it's not like he was fed up with SDSU and wanted to leave, simply wanted an opportunity to play one more year. Is my logic correct?

Comment

That is correct.

If you delve deep you will notice that Andy Kardoes' class changed over our transition year. If you can remember back to our last year of DII, he was injured (I believe during the 3rd or 4th game) and missed the rest of the year. He was granted a medical redshirt and so started our campaign in D-I as a redshirt freshman again. Then when paperwork was caught up he was a sophomore. After this season Andy would be eligible to play an extra year in D-II also.

Comment

Originally posted by mnbison
                I read over on siouxsports that Taylor Murray is leaving SDSU with one year left of eligibility to play at UND.  I thought he was a senior, but it's posted over on siouxsports.  If this is true, it's not good for the program, the guy was first team all-conference in the Great West.  So what's the deal Jack fans?  I see his major is aviation education, I guess that could explain a few things.
                One of UND's big programs is as you said Aviation education. Seems like that is how they attracted the lanky women's bb player Jennie Krause a few years back. I often wondered how that long legged lady would fit in a piper cub, but she apparently does as its been a few years since she completed her degree.

If Murray is done under D1 rules, I dont blame him for leaving to go to UND.

I doubt very much Murray was having a problems with any of the coaching staff. Stig always had very high regarded comments about Murray in post game interviews.  If Murray and him were having problems, and not getting along with people, Stig would not give you a clue unless you were very close to the player and his family.

A few years back we did have one Nebraska player that was not panning out and all sorts of problems on and off the field.  On a day after New Years, Stig called me personally to thank me for being a good donor, but in the course of the conversation he mentioned that this particular player would not be back next year as part of the program. The only reason that I could figure out why he called me was because I knew this player's dad from my own line of work.  A few weeks later when I spoke with a friend of this father, I learned more negatives than what Stig told me on the telephone. This particular guy got the benefit of the doubt more than he deserved.

So this move has to be Tayler's call if its going to happen.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, reading this on that other board just really caught me by surprise that someone would make that kind of move after having success at a higher level. It makes more sense now after reading your replies and if it will help him with life after football, more power to him. Although I would think putting on another uniform after 5 years with the Jacks would be kind of hard to do, especially that ugly kelly green, but whatever works I guess.

Comment

As a former player I think it would be very hard to put on a different uniform unless it is moving up to NFL, CFL of something like that.

On the other side I can see wanting to keep playing. I guess I wish him the best!

Comment

Perhaps its simply a way for him to get a scholarship and finish his education. Let me see....pay for another year of education out of my pocket and wear a Burger King outfit to help pay for it....or.... play a little football and get his school paid for. Not to hard of a choice in my opinion.

Comment

let's not forget aviation is not a cheap major!!

Comment

lets call and ask him!

Comment

This is True, He is leaving in May after he graduates...He wants to win a Championship and Kick the Coyotes ASS...So he made a decision and that is cool...His Pro stock will rise with another good year! ;D :-X :'(

Comment

He was out of D-I eligibility and he is going to graduate a Jackrabbit, so best of luck up North.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X