Big $$$ to play I-A schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big $$$ to play I-A schools

Some have questioned how much money there really is to play a I-A program, of course it matters who you are and who you play but here is a story out of Montana that should show that the numbers Dr. Oien talked about earlier this school year are right in line.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...ts/sports3.txt

The numbers are out, and Iowa took Oregon's “sticker shock” payout and raised it 200 large.

When the Iowa Hawkeyes host the I-AA Montana Grizzlies in football Sept. 2, it'll be for $650,000. That's a pretty nice bump from the $450,000 the University of Oregon spent to bring in UM last September. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Big $$$ to play I-A schools

It's my understanding we need to average 57 scholarships over two years before we can count as an opponent for a DIA team. Based on this scenario it would be 2009 at the earliest we would be able to schedule a DIA team. There is plenty of interest from area DIA teams in playing SDSU. The value of an athletic scholarship is $11,000 and thus we need another $77,000 in sustainable dollars to get there. Plus we need to add the same amount of scholarships to women's sports. Total Bill $154,000

Comment

Saw in the Star Trib yesterday that NDSU is on the 2007 schedule and the Gophers want them on the 2006 schedule. They are hoping the Bison will take 300,000. Sure seems like getting to the max on scholarships would be well worth it.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/259595.html

The process becomes even more difficult if schools don't work well in advance, a situation that hindered the Gophers efforts. Already scheduled to play at California next season, they ultimately reached agreements to play at Kent State and at home against Temple. Minnesota still needs to fill one home date next season, but school officials remain hopeful that Division I-AA North Dakota State will accept their offer (about $300,000). ................

The Gophers have created a scheduling model that they intend to follow in future negotiations. They want their four nonconference games to consist of one opponent from a BCS conference, two from mid-major conferences and one regional Division I-AA school. Ideally, that would equate to seven home games and five on the road (including four home and road Big Ten games).

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Isn't Sam Houston State, which is a lower level D-1 team like SDSU, getting $1 million, or something like that, to play Texas, the national champs, next season? I think I heard that figure right the other day.
        This space for lease.

Comment

You are correct Sam Houston State won the lottery and earns the right to get demolished by the National Champions.

Comment

Working...
          X