USD moving up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD moving up?

Deep inside sources in Vermillion say there's serious consideration of the question:  Should USD move to D-1.

That doesn't mean they're making the move but some (coaches) are acknowledging that it's in discussion.  That's not too surprising since UND is moving in that direction.  USD has to consider all options.

I'm betting: the Yotes will move up -- and a lot of their alums will scream bloody murder.

Re: USD moving up?

They can't afford the move there's a lot of internal struggles in their athletic program from what Freddy Oien and some other athletic department works have said.  In a dream world everyone that's our old and present rivals would be D1.  But it all comes down to the almighty dollar. And the State and Board of Regents has to approve the move after the whole fiasco that happened here

Comment

Is it at all financially possible for the state of South Dakota to support six public universitie; and already trying to get another IMO and support two of those universities at a DI level. This state only has the resources and the most important resource, population, to support only one DI institution.

Comment

I just don't see USD moving up, at least in the forseeable future. The state of SD simply lacks the resources to support two D-I institutions. That, and we're still the guinea pig, it's too early to say one way or the other whether our own transition was a success.

Just a question - would it save more money if schools such as Black Hills State and Dakota State consolidated with say, USD and became satellite schools or for them to close down completely?

Comment

Just a question - would it save more money if schools such as Black Hills State and Dakota State consolidated with say, USD and became satellite schools or for them to close down completely?
          I would say that the maintenance and operating costs of campus buildings and the staff salaries is what makes up most of the costs of running universities. I think one would have to close them completely and shift the educational programs to the remaining universities to free up more money.

Comment

I know it's been said before, specifically by myself, but it makes no sense to have SDSU, DSU, and USD in their respective locations. I know it's not necessarily in line with this thread, but I believe that DSU needs to be closed down. Being in the IT industry, I respect everything that DSU has brought to the table. However, their Information Technology degrees would be a great compliment to the Computer Science degree that SDSU currently offers. Given our state's population, it makes no sense to support the number of state institutions we currently support. To go back to the thread, I don't believe the state can support 2 DI programs. Just my opinion. On a side note, a while back Craig and Mike were whining about potentially finding a new conference for DSU since theirs is dwindling. I called in and suggested that maybe we shouldn't support so many State Universities and that geographically DSU should probably be closed. In their typical manner, I was laughed at and they considered it an insensitive opinion. At some point funding needs to make sense...not just make everyone happy.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE

I would say that the maintenance and operating costs of campus buildings and the staff salaries is what makes up most of the costs of running universities. I think one would have to close them completely and shift the educational programs to the remaining universities to free up more money.
              This thread has gotten a bit off track, but........
              For your information, Black Hills is the 3rd largest of the state schools with a fall 2005 enrollment of 3,888. NSU was more then a thousand back at 2525, DSU next at 2,329 and Tech at 2323. So BH is the last school on the hit list. In fact, no one is going to close any of the existing schools period. Not in our lifetimes. Janklow had to go to war to close down a school that only had 800 students and the repercussions still exist.

Back on point, whether we Staters like it or not , we have no say in whether USD moves up to D1 or not. So whether the state can "afford" two D1s is irrelevant. USD has been pretty good at fund raising in the academic realm and my guess is if they refocus they could raise alot of bucks for the athletic program so dont count them out. If they decide to move up they will be formidable competition for dollars, athletes and status. As an old coach of mine once said, "never underestimate your opponent", That applies to snowboardcross racers and athletic departments.

Comment

I think if UND goes to D-I, USD will feel forced to follow. Also, I suspect that St. Cloud may very well move up, too.

And I think that UND will move up within 24 months.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://www.sdbor.edu/publications/pr...2division1.htm i think this link states that USD's move to D1 will not happen because of what the Board of Regents has limited.

Comment

It makes it harder, to be sure, but if all three of these schools move up everyone including the SUs will have a cheaper time of it travel wise.
                    www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

USD currently fills an important niche in the state. I seriously think that USD is still an upper enchelon D2 school. D2 is not dead end in this area, the NCC may die out, but there are other D2 options. The NISC and the MIACC are stable. USD's DI prospects are even many times more uncertain than when SDSU/NDSU made the jump. The STATEs are not going to wait around with the U's to become tourney eligible. I would suspect that as we and NDSU keep making strides over the next two years we'll see alot more action by potential conference suitors.

Comment

What conference is SDSU in and who is in there with them?

Just curious.

Comment

The Great West Football Conference.
                          SDSU, NDSU, Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southren Utah

Comment

Great West Football Conference:
                            SDSU, NDSU, UC DAVIS, CAL-POLY, Southern Utah, and formerly University of Northern Colorado (left for the Big Sky after this past season)

We are an independent right now for the majority of our other sports.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by UCABEARS75
                              What conference is SDSU in and who is in there with them?

Just curious.

We aren't as fortunate to have a conference as UCA, so we did the next best thing and created our own.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X